News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leyden, MA 8/22-23 2015 AAR

Started by lupis42, August 25, 2015, 07:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lupis42

TL;DR: Advanced Appleseed experiment was a success, and we'll try to do it again.

The long version:
This was an experiment for the MA crew - to try and take some of the advanced material from RBCs and KD events, and put together an Appleseed focused on the singular goal of getting shooters to come back.  Based on requests from some of our candidates, and taking advantage of our instructors related experience, we decided to focus on AR pattern rifles.
Topics covered:
Trajectory - discussed comeups, battle-sight-zero, hold over vs dial, and sight offset.  Verified practical trajectory at ranges from 3 yards to 200 yards.
Sighting options - discussed and demonstrated both the advantages of magnification and fancy reticles for precision shooting, and the ability of iron sights to hit an 8" balloon at 250 yards.  Talked about the importance of knowing the capabilities, and limits, of the sighting system in use. 
Range estimation - presented a substantially extended version of the normal talk, as from a KD weekend.  Conducted practical exercise with ~20" targets (t-shirts) at various ranges from ~25 to ~200 yards.
Target detection - placed targets (t-shirts) in various non-obvious positions downrange, and challenged shooters to count, identify, and range same. 
Supported positions - discussed/demoed improvised support.  Shooters were able to engage ~10MOA targets from standing position with improvised support.
Pushing the limits - posted QDAQTs at 100 yards (simulating 400, 800, 1200, and 1600 yards).  Shooters engaged from supported prone, with ~40 minute time limit. 
Care & feeding of the AR pattern rifle - Demoed/explained the importance of ammo type/quality, and discussed various design choices mechanical issues, e.g. moving zero caused by sling pressure on the barrel. 

Our shooters soaked up all we could offer them, demonstrated improvement in their shooting, and showed a renewed enthusiasm for the project. 
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

hbennett

Outstanding!  Great job!

Perhaps a new ranking system might be in order,  Rifleman I and Rifleman II for those who qualify on the post-graduate course of fire!

Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

lupis42

We'd have to establish a suitable post-graduate test first.  Something that pushes every aspect of the curriculum. 
A variety of small-medium steel targets placed somewhere down range, so the shooter has detect them, range them, dope the wind, and make the shot, but unless we moved them every time, it would be very easy on the second try. 
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

VietVet

Quote from: hbennett on August 26, 2015, 09:38:48 AM
Outstanding!  Great job!

Perhaps a new ranking system might be in order,  Rifleman I and Rifleman II for those who qualify on the post-graduate course of fire!

I've had great success "Reminding" those who've shot the score and received their Patch that Rifleman Patches come in different colors. Returning to another shoot and "re-qualifying" can earn them a Patch in other colors including a "Winterseed" patch.
This also gives you a great opportunity to get an Orange Hat on that "Rifleman".
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

headednorth

I had a ton of fun at this shoot. Shooting at 200y was a blast and a first for me. I had read of the different POI between 3 yards, 25m,100, 200 yards and so on, saw trajectory charts etc, but it was cool to actually shoot at those different distances and see the differing POI's depending on where you were zeroed and learn how to adjust for them. It was nice to put it into practice. I also liked the target detection/range estimation exercise. It was a challenge for me, especially estimating range. Its something I need to work on.

I also learned some of the limitations of a red dot sight as the target gets smaller and/or the distance to target gets longer. That relatively tiny dot starts to look real big when youre aiming at an even tinier looking target at 100 yards. One of the instructors loaned me a magnifier which made a big difference for me. Another part of the learning experience. Improvised support was an interesting exercise as well. We used trees as a support, something I wouldnt have been able to do at my club. Along with the new (to me) stuff, I got to work on the fundamentals under supervision- breathing, npoa, trigger control. We also discussed adjusting for wind and different ways to determine range to target.

All in all, it was a fun and informative weekend. Ive been reviewing what we went over, reading through my notes and Im looking forward to making improvements and hopefully getting a chance to shoot the course again.

Thanks again guys.

goodpiper

We do have a "graduate" program. It's called Orange Hat  :)

The Target Detection, Ranging was both fun and interesting (tee-shirts scattered around the range). This is something that will get worked into future Leyden Seeds.

Thanks for a great weekend lupis42!

Welcome aboard 33ralph and Julio

Pics below