News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fenton, Mi, Aug 22-23

Started by Caliper, August 23, 2015, 07:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

Still have to get the pics off the camera, but it was a great weekend! 

The weather was HOT Saturday, and everyone was worn down by the end of the day despite frequent breaks on the shade.  I think those breaks were made all the more invigorating by the story of Apr 19 of course :) 

Sunday started out looking hot, but the heat peaked as clouds started moving into the area while the AQT grind was in full swing.  By the end of the day, things were looking a bit iffy weather-wise, and we left the range just as the rain started moving in. 

While the weather could have been better, I couldn't ask for a better group of Americans to spend the weekend with! 

Jacob, Jared, Ray, Dan and Frank, what a great group of friends to see on the line!  I do agree with Grindstone that somehow you guys manage to transition into prone faster than gravity should allow!  Ray, Jared, you're on the doorstep.  (ok, Jared, you've already gotten a patch once)  Practice your positions - NPOA, NPOA shifts, dry fire, and you'll be there. 
Frank, best wishes on healing up your little scrape with the gravel.  I look forward to seeing you back at a future event! 
Dan, your form is far better than your targets show.  Congrats on persisting despite having equipment not optimized for slung shooting! 
Jacob, keep working on those transitions.  Again, dry practice is great (and less expensive) for just figuring out how to stand so you can transition to a place where your NPOA is nearly on the target if you can't get out to the range as often as you'd like. 

Bill (er, ITB, ahem ;) ) and Will, it was great to see another family group on the line!  Us instructors do sometimes neglect our own marksmanship or family time in favor of helping put on more events, so I enjoyed seeing both of these things happening at the same time! 

And of course, Congrats Tony!  Pulling out a Riflemans score on the last AQT of Sunday!  Nothing like a little suspense, huh?  Lia and Chloe were both excellent kids on the line.  We threw everything at them and they handled it like someone many years more mature. 

I'm planning to get pics up tonight.  CritterKeeper took a bunch, so everyone should have plenty of material for a new Facebook profile pic! 

Caliper

BTW, while unpacking I found a black nylon sling?  Does anyone know whose it might be?

Superheat

Quote from: Caliper on August 26, 2015, 02:30:30 PM
BTW, while unpacking I found a black nylon sling?  Does anyone know whose it might be?

Does it have an "A" on it.  Apparently, a few magically showed up at Lapeer.

number6

Is the hook cut down to use in a 1" swivel?

although I would have had to drop it off for you to have it, and I don't think I did.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Caliper

Sorry, neither.  Standard J hook, no A.  Just black nylon and two swivels. 

But, here's some pics! 

First squares. 

Learning the Six Steps. 

Learning the standing position

... and seated

First AQT!

Saturday PM Redcoat

Checking out 22LR drop at 100yd.  It sure is a long way down there! 

Firing another group at 100yd after making sight adjustments. 

More AQT's!

Youth patches!  "This beats facing down Redcoats while armed with drumsticks!" 

Our new Rifleman! 

... and a quick exit as storms moved in! 

Grindstone

Wonderful! I knew somebody was going to get their patch, and it couldn't have gone to a diligent shooter.

Sad to see you got rained out in the end, hopefully it didn't cut your time too short. We had tornado warnings at the airport but the plane got out in a heavy downpour without any issues.

The black nylon sling came out of ITBs box if I recall correctly.