News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jackson, KY, August 15-16, 2015

Started by dond, August 18, 2015, 12:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

This was our first event in Jackson, KY. Since this was in the mountains, we had some wonderful berms and some even more wonderful people.  O0 There were 15 shooters whose ages ranged from 10 to 65 and they were all first time Appleseeders. Everyone seemed to have a great time and learned a great deal. The range, and club members, were gracious and hospitable and are trying to arrange for another event. For example, Wallace and Patty, and their family, supplied terrific lunches for a nominal fee both days. They also supplied cold water for the shooters. And Wallace was instrumental in arranging the placement of overhead cover so the shade would be strategically placed during the entire day. The club president, Raymond, also greeted us warmly on both days and helped set up the cover, and had mowed the range earlier for us. The large, well equipped clubhouse was very beneficial for lunch, history, and instructional presentations.

A van full of local church members, including the preacher, arrived both days. Of course they were somewhat late on Sunday. And one of these members became a Rifleman, and even better, he accepted an Orange Hat. Thank you Bill.  ^:)^ Another high score of 195 was achieved by Tim.

We were also fortunate to have a TV reporter from nearby cover the event Sunday afternoon. Angela was very enthusiastic with her coverage and even shot a Red Coat from the standing position. And she did remarkably well for the first time to even hold a rifle, scoring a number of hits on the target. CokeGuy, who supplied remarkable assistance in instructing the event, gave her a certificate to attend one of our events for free. She even posted the events on the back of the certificate on the TV Station's website. She interviewed Charlie and myself. Charlie had worked hard to schedule and advertise this event. He had been to a previous event and was so impressed that he determined to schedule this one at his home range. He desperately wanted to shoot at this event but was prevented because of a recent operation. He still furnished valuable help by calling the line and clearing rifles. And he is the one who arranged for the TV coverage.

Angela's coverage can be seen at:  http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/Program-teaches-folks-Revolutionary-War-history-and-marksmanship-322012272.html.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

DrRichP

Great job team! Really a stand out performance at a new location. Thanks to the shooters that showed up and the team that ran the event! :bow:
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

CokeGuy

Had a delightful time with DonD and Sarah....she kept us both in line! I intend to incorporate many of DonD's teaching methods into my own events. It was very helpful to be with a Master Instructor (and author of the Instructor Manual) to continue to hone my skills. And with only two of us, DonD was happy to have me there to model and review his teaching as we progressed. We were blessed to have a very cooperative and easy-to-teach group of shooters. They truly made the weekend a very pleasant one for everyone.
Everett Womack (CokeGuy)

WmLyons

Gentlemen, I just want to say thank you to both of you, the host range and to Charlie Chalk for this past weekend.  I had a great time.  The meals were delicious. :pop:  The history was wonderfully told and I can tell you that the church group is still talking about it. @)  The group is already talking about trying it again and we already have more people wanting to attend a shoot now that additional word is spreading.  The firearms instruction was well done and demonstrated.  Neither of you seemed like this.  ~~:)You were both friendly and made it a good event.  The news story has been circulated on Facebook and is creating interest.  Just wanted to say thanks.
WmLyons

kentuckycharliec

Thanks to our Instructors. Truly a great team. Thanks to to Breathitt Fish and Game for taking up the challenge of hosting a new event.

Guntuckian

Great job by the Instructors, and Congrats to WmLyons who accepted an OH.  Great job Bill, and congratulations. Welcome to the Appleseed Trail!  Hope to meet you soon!

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V