News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How did you hear about Project Appleseed?

Started by scuzzy, August 17, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Man - even after all these years the most common answer I hear is

From a Friend or Instructor

Seems like there is a bit more low hanging fruit to be harvested. Bring a flyer or just strike up a conversation next time your at the local market.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Twineagles

Someone handed me a flyer at a gun show and I looked it over after I got home. I thought wow a whole day of rifle training for (I think it was) $30. The instruction was good but the history was fanastic and hooked me. Gave me lots to think about on my hour drive home.

Not even sure if there was a web site...............
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

TaosGlock

Read Fred's column in SGN for years. One day he wrote he had picked up a copy of Fischer's PRR and how inspiring it was.
I bought it the next day and read it. I remember him then talking about Appleseed.
Then we had one of the first Appleseeds out west here in WY. A free one IIRC. I read the AAR, the rest is history.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

eaglescouter

While surfing the internet reading about the M1 Garand I stumbled into a writeup about a "Liberty Training Rifle".
That lead to an Appleseed page that was way too politically incorrect so I wandered away rapidly.
Two years later I revisited the "Liberty Training Rifle", decided to build one, followed another Appleseed link to a much friendlier website.
Decided to go check it out (3 hour drive each way), scored rifleman on Saturday.
Got invited to be an instructor Saturday.
Spent Sunday as an LSO while I prepped my magazines for the next course of fire.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Bluesteel

Via a Facebook friend's Facebook post about an upcoming clinic in March of 2013.  I had purchased my first firearms only a year earlier, had only been shooting a couple of times and didn't know what I was doing.  I'd probably fired less than 350 rounds in my life to that point.  So when I saw the post, it piqued my interest.  I thought "wow, just what I need! and signed up.  Did some web surfing to understand more about the program, found the "How to shoot the M1 Garand video" on youtube, ,watched it 3 times and dry fire practiced in the house for a couple of months before the event (I really wanted that patch!).  Even my partially incorrect practice paid off (I wasn't using a sling properly since the M1 video shows the M1907 sling use) as I cleaned up my errors with good instruction from Caliper, Miki and Mac66, and I shot a rifleman's score on my very first AQT.  Came back a month later and did it again with tech sights and ITB asked me if I wanted to take a hat.  Went home, did some more research before my decision and came back a month later to work my first event.

Jerry Hall

I saw a flier sitting on the info table at the Ft Bliss Rod & Gun club, it said; would you like to hit a man size target at 500 yards?
I said yes! I figured out what would work with my schedule and signed up for the event(not knowing what to expect).
Brought my old Marlin Model 60, ended up on a loaner Izhmash Biathlon rifle and scored a rifleman's score  at the 1st event.
Was offered the opportunity to learn to Seventh Step and it was off to the races, so to speak.
It's been some great experiences and better folks all the way. I'm sure more to come.
Thanks to you all!
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Kosciusko

knew vmt193 from the local gun range

I am an IT geek, so he asked me to check you guys out on the internet, to see if you were nut  jobs, or for real.

You were for real, so he went to an out of state shoot, can't remember where.

When they found out he was from Minnesota and had shot RM, they made him an orange hat and  also quasi-state coordinator.

I was on the BOD of the local gun club, so we got permission to hold the first Appleseed in Winona, Minnesota.

k

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

ACP230

azmule

Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Prone to Knit

Jim heard about it at a gun club meeting. We went as a family November 2009.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Charles McKinley

Poster in a gunshop.  Was on the round to it list for at least 2 years.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

crobjones2

perusing the internet looking for marksmanship training.... now I'm hooked

TimBeatty

I was doing a 100 yard CMP shoot at the Central Texas Rifle and Pistol club about 5-6 years ago. Some guy in a Green Pickup shot the match and then did a talk about it after. I needed all the help I could get so I wanted to do it, but there were no close events. 4 years ago I found out they had them in North Tx so I signed up.
Tim Beatty

Turtle

Illinois gun owners lobby day  rally at the state capitol

somebody handed me a card

Cable___Guy

From the tech sights website mention of a "liberty training rile" Quick google search and you know the rest.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike Nollett

I learned of it through the Fred's M-14 Rifle Stocks ads in Shotgun News.
"You'll never learn how to shoot, until you learn to shoot fundamentally"- Patrick McDonough

DrRichP

A friend told me he heard about this marksmanship thing, and if we went we could get a free Garand from the CMP. I said, sounds good to me. While there was no free Garand, what I got was more valuable.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

PHenry

Scuzzy,
Great post sir! I spect someone who is good with statistical analysis could derive some useful info herein to combat that which has stymied our success from the start - getting the word out.

Fred was counting the "icebergs" and listing them off in his full page ad in SGN. I too was much busy with the counting. Then Fred and some others worked up a way to actually do something about it and in many ways, saved my spirit from a slow death.

Education is the only real cure for any human ill. Apleseeds is education.

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

92trk

misawa

Local news station did a story about Project Appleseed when I lived in Georgia.  Try as I might I just couldn't get to an event.  Moved to Virginia and it was tops on my list of things to do.  As it turned out, there was a range (Cavalier) not far from my house that hosted a few.

Two Wolves

You'll like this one.-----The Fredericksburg Tea Party hosted the inaugural event for Fredericksburg. The event was oversold at 40 plus. Scout came and ran the shoot---on an April 19. 2010.

I shot rifleman at that event. Got hooked and still here---in our 6th yr.  Looks like we just sold out our next shoot. Oct. 17/18     Two Wolves   :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."