News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Captain Levi Preston of Danvers Answers the Muster Call!

Started by bob 210, August 17, 2015, 03:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Castro Valley, CA AAR Aug 15-16, 2015 Placeholder.

Post any comments and pics here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

epeterson

Thanks for a fun and informative weekend!

Packrat

Finally made it out to my first Appleseed.  Enjoyed the challenge, the teaching, and the people.  Thanks to all the instructors who made it happen and taught us well.  I only have one semi-worthy pic from Saturday--Levi checking the line before we shot our first redcoat target.  I'm working on some recruits for the next outing.

Packrat

HeyApple

What a great weekend.  Thank you to all of the instructors (Levi, Bob, Hans, Andy, Matt, Marta).  I am really happy to have made it over the hump and shot Rifleman.  My daughter and I had a great  time.  She really enjoys the events, especially the history.  Appleseed is a great program, I plan on bringing more bodies out to future events.  I would also like to attend a full distance shoot...  I have been watching high power videos on you tube a little too much since Sunday.  Also Thanks to Ken and Sacramento crew also (Laurie, Joe, Ducky and the others I can't remember off the top of my head).

NorCal22Gal

Great job HeyApple!!  Hope to get to see you again soon...you and your daughter.

The Horse

Hey all,
You guys were the best ever! Even though it was extremely "HOT" everyone stuck it out to the end. Congrats to the new riflemen. Well done!
I don't know if everyone knows that Ken, our normal Shoot Boss, was called away on work at the last minute. Fourtunatly Levi Preston of Danvers was able to answer the muster call, driving all night from Southern California to join our training group.
Hope to see you all at the next shoot. Don't forget to bring a few new recruits.

1sicChevy

Normally I don't write about my experiences nor opinions unless I think it make help someone make their own decision on something but since I had such a good experience I wanted to share my experiences about the Appleseed Shoot at Chabot in Castro Valley on 8/15-16 2015.

I would say that I am a decent shot when it comes to handguns and rifles but where I heard that Appleseed showed the 3 standard shooting positions and proper way to shoot, I'd figure that this was something I would be interested in as for in the past I've only shot from a seated position from a bench. The original plan was for 2 buddies and myself to travel from Salinas to Castro Valley (which was about 2 hrs 1 way) to take the class. Well as the weeks pass..turns out my buddies changed their minds and I was going solo.

Researching it online, it seems the main rifle used was a .22 due to the cost of ammo and mainly everyone owned one. Unfortunately for me, I didn't own a .22 and used what I had; a standard 16" AR15 carbine with standard plastic hand guards with adjustable stock with a 3x Burris red dot scope with recommend GI sling ..nothing fancy. I wanted to use something I was familiar and to train with it also as it is the main rifle I use.

On Saturday, everyone arrived at 8:30 and the instructors talked to us about gun safety and gun commands. Afterwards we shot our redcoat target to see where we were in the use of our rifles. Throughout the day the instructors showed us how to sight in our rifles, the correct steps to fire a rifle, the proper way of the prone, sitting, and standing positions with the use of a sling and giving details for the reason why certain things were done a certain way. During lunch time, we all gathered to eat and hear stories of our American Revolution and the sacrifices that they gave for our freedoms. At the end of the day we did an actually AQT (Army Qualification Test) and another redcoat to see if we improved.

On Sunday, everyone again arrived at 8:30 and the instructors reviewed what we did the previous day. We did the redcoat target first to showed where we stood. During lunchtime we heard more stories about our founding fathers and hit the AQTs for the rest of the day. I believe that we went through at least 7 AQTs. Towards the end, we re shot the redcoat target to see where we stood at the end of the class and regrouped to discuss more history and hand out the rifleman patches to those that scored high enough.

So this is a basic rundown of what we did for the last 2 days. But I'll tell you what I personally experienced. By the the end of the last day, I was beat and tired; both days it was in the high 90s..even with sunblock, boonie hat, safety sun glass, and constantly drinking water. Our instructors told us over and over to drink/pee/drink again to be constantly hydrated. Unfortunately I didn't even finish my last 2 AQT as I was so beat I knew I couldn't concentrate. The stock AR worked out fine with no flaws nor malfunctions. I used roughly under 400 rds of .223. My only problem was due to the gun being under the sun the entire time, when it was time to shoot, the plastic handguards got hot and so did the aluminum buffer tube.  I must apologize to the guy and girl to the right of me as I was spraying bass in their faces and body!!

Speaking of instructors; they are the greatest. They gave up their time and volunteered their knowledge to help us improve our skills. The instructor on my side of the line was always pointing out my errors every time he saw them (and he saw them a lot) such as keeping my hand open when I gripped my foregrip, holding the trigger back after firing, shifting my legs/hips to adjust my point of aim, among other things but the main one was to slow down as I was shooting too fast. He knew that I could shoot better if I did what he said and the proof is in the paper. I saw this attention giving by all the instructors to all the students there. They are a class act and earned my respect and admiration. Maybe one day I may be able to teach and obtain their status.

The hardest part of the class for me was the sitting position. I never really sit like that so my flexibility in the position is bad. I tried to do the kneeling position because it was easier to get into position but my shots were far worse in that then in the sitting position so I decided to go with sitting. So 2 things that happened to me that was embarrassing; the first being that when I got into the position, my legs started to cramp up every time I went into that position and the second being that my pants split. Yes, you read right....my kinda new pants split like 2 inches down from the zipper down. I was standing in the ready position and as soon as I sat down I heard a RIIIPPPP. I was like...dammit!!! Nothing I could do about that and shot my 10 rds.  Even thought I ripped my pants and my legs were cramping..I still shot like that because it was the most accurate for me.

The students there were also friendly....they wanted to learn and asked great questions. Its great to be along those that have the same interest as yourself. Such great diversity. Everyone there had smiles and made each other feel welcome.  I was kind of hesitant to go after I found out 2 of my buddies decided not to go as I would not know anyone but I'm glad I went.  It was even better to see some younger students there as well as they are our future generation. i would have loved to take a class as this when I was their age. Its far easier to learn the correct way when you are younger than when you are older and set in your ways.

As for my results from this class? All my AQTs that I shot that I got back was in the sharpshooter range (170-209). I knew I could have done better if i concentrated more and applied what I learned but still I was pleased with my results. So it was time for the patches to be handed out so we all gathered to find out who did quality. Turns out that I did qualify!! I was shocked considering this is my first time at Appleseed and that 206 was the best score I got back. Well, turns out that I shot a 211....I passed by just 1 point. Thing is, I though I was was missing a target and asked our lead instructor if he seen it and he said it was somewhere around here. After I while I totally forgot about it. Turn out that the lead instructor informed my instructor on my line that I did pass and he kept messing with my head.  ;D

After getting back into Salinas, a few guys asked how it went and I told him basically where I am telling you. I told them that I was going back in October. They asked why as I already earned my patch. I told them it doesn't matter that I earned my patch or not. In fact the patch is just a consolation prize...the icing on the cake so to speak. I wanna go back to improve my score and improve my skills. Like they say...use them or lose them. Hopefully when I think my skills are up to par...I'd really like to try my hand at the KD Appleseed; another skill I want to learn.

I know this post is long and winded and I appreciate you reading this if you actually read all of this. If you have any questions or opinions, I'd love to hear it. Hope to see you guys and girls at the next shoot. By they way....I didn't use any of the instructors names nor shooters out there as I didn't know if they wanted it known but if you read this....I appreciate the help you have given me and it is something I will not forget. Thanks again.

NorCal22Gal

Great job!!   And yeah...we tend to hide the good targets so we can tell you later....  ;)

There are lots of shoots to drag the buddies too...Castro Valley, Sacramento, and when you feel ready to try some full distance come up to Hat Creek (an hour east of  Redding.  We shoot AQT's at 100-400 yds. 

And as for coming to events....you'll only get better the more you practice. 

Awesome review of the event too!!!  Glad you had a great first event!