News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Please help. Alright to dry fire a new 2015 or 2016 Marlin 795SS .22LR.

Started by bountybuddy, August 14, 2015, 08:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bountybuddy

I just bought a new Marlin 795SS, 2015 or 2016.  I pick it up tomorrow.  Can someone please tell me if i can dry fire this rifle without hurting it?  I sure hope so.  This is a very big part of my practice, practice, practice.  Thanks for your help.  Shoot safe my friends.
Who Gave you the black eye?
Nobody gave it to me son I fought for it.
Conagher  (Louis L'Amour)

May all your paths be bright ones.

FiremanBob

Yes, it should be. There is a "firing pin retaining pin" (part 19 on the exploded parts diagram in your owner's manual) that stops the firing pin from extending beyond the bolt face.

But just to be sure, it's a good idea to cut a small piece from a refrigerator magnet business card and stick it on the breech face of the barrel, covering the top of the chamber. This is a tough material that will last many hits, and is easy to remove.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

azmule

#4 drywall anchors - dimensionally the same as a .22 round, and will load from the mag in most non-tube semi's.  A box of 100 cost just a few bucks at Home Depot.

Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

D.O.M.

Quote from: azmule on August 14, 2015, 02:11:23 PM
#4 drywall anchors - dimensionally the same as a .22 round, and will load from the mag in most non-tube semi's.  A box of 100 cost just a few bucks at Home Depot.

LIKE!
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

wingwrench

If I remember correctly, Prescott sells snap caps for .22 chambered arms. You can support a fellow 'seeder, as well as get some quality snap caps... perhaps someone can help with a link to an appropriate thread...