News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buford GA Aug. 8-9, 2015

Started by Morpheus, August 10, 2015, 07:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

It was a great weekend event that I had the honor to be the Shoot Boss in Buford GA! The Georgia Gun Club was host to their first Appleseed Shoot, and what an outstanding facility!! My thanks to Wade C.(Doug Carlton on our forum), our Appleseed Champion at the GGC, for seeing to it that we had everything that we needed to make this one of the best events that I've ever been a part of.

This indoor shoot was most welcome for an August shoot in GA. We had the use of the 12 lane range so we doubled up our pre-regs and welcomed 21 shooters to the line Saturday morning. Shooting in relays was a breeze with these fine folks, and I'm most proud of each and every one of them.

After our safety briefing the shooters filled the 12 bays with 21 rifles and they engaged their first Redcoat Target of the weekend. Of the 21 shooters, 17 of them scored three hits at least in the 100y target!! We had some genuine shooters amongst us! Certainly the best opening Redcoat numbers that this instructor has ever seen. O0

We then delved into the three pillars of marksmanship: learning the Steady Hold Factors, Natural Point of Aim and the Six Steps to Firing the Shot. We also learned about how a Rifleman adjusts his sights and then took our lunch break in the very comfortable classroom. The First and Second Strikes of the Match were delivered and then it was time to return to the range. Even with running a relay the whole day we were able to shoot an AQT before closing out the day, and I'm glad that we did!! We found a new Rifleman amongst us. Aaron G. turned in a score of 213! O0 Also, a returning Rifleman, Paul G. recorded a score of 240! O0 Outstanding!!  But then there was Scott Q. He too, was a returning Rifleman, and a very good shot. His AQT was the easiest one I have ever scored. . . a perfect 250! :bow: Congratulations to all! It was a most rewarding day for this instructor. We had 5 dads and their children (mostly daughters!) in attendance. That was reason enough for me to smile.

Sunday morning brought with it great anticipation, at least it did to me. I just knew that we were not finished with awarding patches to these high caliber shooters, and I was right. After our review and sighter group practice, we did a Ball & Dummy drill and then took lunch. When we started the AQT grind we had more re-qualifying scores from Paul and Aaron, and then Robert H. broke through with a 216! 14-year-old Taylor didn't want to be out-scored by her dad, Aaron, so she turned in a malfunction free AQT and scored a 223 for her first Rifleman score, but she wasn't done yet. Her next target scored a 233!! Huzzah! Well done young lady!

It is notable that Scott Q. and his daughter Kaylee would have almost certainly added to our father/daughter rifleman day. However, Kaylee was taken ill Sunday before the AQT targets were posted and they had to leave. :( I hope she is recovered and eager to return to the next Appleseed. Get well soon Kaylee!

Thank you to all who showed up to shoot and to those who showed up to help. You are all my kind of people. You are the kind of folks who make me want to keep coming back, again and again. Thank you.

Steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

DrJohn

An outstanding turnout of outstanding students at a magnificent new venue. I can't say enough positive about what a fine experience this was. Deepest appreciation to Wade C. and the staff of Georgia Gun Club for extending Appleseed every consideration, and to our wonderful students, who rewarded the instructors abundantly by the improvement in the marksmanship, but more importantly, by the light of recognition and appreciation in their eyes when they heard the Story of April 19, 1775. My sincerest wish to see all of you again, and soon. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Doug Carlton

So rewarding to see so many new people exposed to the notion of Liberty. To "Get It" through observing others that already got it. There's hope for us yet.

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/199/article/111354/

Is enforcing the latest bit of bureaucratic insolence really worth anyone's life?

Roswell

The only bad thing about this weekend is that I couldn't make it Sunday. It truly was an epic event.  Well done all who made Rifleman and I hope to see you all soon...maybe in different hats.  ;)  To those that didn't, I know it is within your grasp. Just remember, perfect practice makes perfect. A Rifleman persists!

Photos from Saturday:

Morpheus and Doug Carlton kicking things off.

DrJohn teaching all how to make their rifles safe

Shooters, circle up!

Squares!  :---

Agrivere works squares like a surgeon

Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors of the Prone Position as instructed by DrJohn and modeled by Cipher

The mallet is what those with stock Ruger sights call a "sight adjustment tool"

Shooters learning the 6 Steps from Iron Man with Red Niva assisting

Instructors Improvise, Adapt and Overcome as Morpheus and Gretchen are tapped to be map holders for DrJohn during the First Strike

Agrivere's very unique seated position

Father and son team, Morpheus and Cipher teach the various seated positions and their SHF

Guitarzan regaling us with Strike 3

Students gathering for the closing ceremonies

Morpheus channeling Patrick Henry

Congratulations to Aaron G.  on making Rifleman with a 213!  O0 (I think you may need a new hat though  ;) )

Paul quietly rocked a 240!  (Might I say that you too sir also need a hat.  :cool2: )

Scott Q. (Agrivere) spat out a 250!!!

You could score it from the back!

The most impressive thing of all though was 7 future shoot bosses earned the Luther Blanchard patch!  ^:)^ Well done!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Roswell

The only bad thing about this weekend is that I couldn't make it Sunday. It truly was an epic event.  Well done all who made Rifleman and I hope to see you all soon...maybe in different hats.  ;)  To those that didn't, I know it is within your grasp. Just remember, perfect practice makes perfect. A Rifleman persists!

Photos from Saturday:

Morpheus and Doug Carlton kicking things off.

DrJohn teaching all how to make their rifles safe

Shooters, circle up!

Squares!  :---

Agrivere works squares like a surgeon

Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors of the Prone Position as instructed by DrJohn and modeled by Cipher

The mallet is what those with stock Ruger sights call a "sight adjustment tool"

Shooters learning the 6 Steps from Iron Man with Red Niva assisting

Instructors Improvise, Adapt and Overcome as Morpheus and Gretchen are tapped to be map holders for DrJohn during the First Strike

Agrivere's very unique seated position

Father and son team, Morpheus and Cipher teach the various seated positions and their SHF

Guitarzan regaling us with Strike 3

Students gathering for the closing ceremonies

Morpheus channeling Patrick Henry

Congratulations to Aaron G.  on making Rifleman with a 213!  O0 (I think you may need a new hat though  ;) )

Paul quietly rocked a 240!  (Might I say that you too sir also need a hat.  :cool2: )

Scott Q. (Agrivere) spat out a 250!!!

You could score it from the back!

The most impressive thing of all though was 7 future shoot bosses earned the Luther Blanchard patch!  ^:)^ Well done!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Agrivere

This was without question the best Appleseed I've attended (no slight to any other shoot bosses, the facility at Georgia Gun Club is outstanding!), and my daughter and I had a great time.  I know she was disappointed that she wasn't able to finish up on Sunday, but she gave it her all and simply had nothing left.  I'm certain there's a Riflewoman there, and she will shoot that score soon I'm sure.

I look forward to seeing you guys and gals again soon!

"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Ramblin' Wreck

WOW! Looks like y'all had a great shoot. August event in Georgia and no threat of a heat stroke. Excellent. Hope I can make the next one.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Guntuckian

Congrats to Agrivere on the perfect AQT score!  Outstanding shooting!

-- gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V