News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean, IL AAR August 8 & 9, 2015

Started by TheEditor, August 10, 2015, 01:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Just got back from McLean!  What a good time it is each time we're there.  This is the fifth year we've had at least one Appleseed at this location - we did more than one a couple of years. 

21 non-ignorant, non-lazy, and non-apathetic Americans showed up on Saturday, with only 9 pre-regs! 

Luckily for us, another whole family of Appleseed instructors showed up as well! 

Please post pictures or comments. 

Thank You, Holland Family, for making us welcome on your land and feeding us two delicious meals at nominal cost. 

Thank You, Guns Save Life.com, for promoting this and other Appleseed shoots.  Our Young Patriot of the weekend attended directly as a result of outreach at the Pontiac GSL meeting earlier in the week. 

Thank You, GSL Defense Training, for providing the drinks and loan of all your equipment.  Without all the shade / rain shelters, this would have been vastly less comfortable and productive. 

Thank You, instructors, for (as usual) going above and beyond.  Safety:  check.  Down in the dirt:  check.  Need a loaner, a sling, a magazine?  Check. 

Thank you, students, for your teachable attitudes and for soldiering on through heat, rain, heavier rain, really heavy rain, wind, and heat. 

Thank you, Appleseed, for giving us the tools to wake up sleeping Americans. 

TheEditor, Shoot Boss
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

A Sunday well spent.

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Previous to our arrival, the landowner Mr. Holland had put down bug spray on the range.  Saturday morning first thing, Bob Holland (driving) and one of his adult sons fogged the entire area to keep bugs and mosquitoes down.  First class service!

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

AK

I would like to second all the "Thank yous" from TheEditor above. It was a fantastic shoot made better by such a nice location hosted by a wonderful family with shelters, equipment and drinks provided by GSL. We had a dedicated bunch of shooters. For many, it was their first Appleseed.  Even though instruction moves rapidly from one point to the next, we saw much improvement in their shooting abilities and confidence levels. Great job, shooters!  I look forward to seeing many of you at future Appleseeds.   We had one new Rifleman. Congratulations to Hollianne on shooting Rifleman and accepting an orange hat!  That makes 4 orange hats in her family!  As always, I enjoyed working along side a great bunch of knowledgeable instructors. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend. I am posting a few of my pictures below. I have more to post soon.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

AK

More pictures.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Slappy

Thanks again everyone for the lessons and great training.  If it hadn't been for the free pass I picked up at the GSL meeting, I probably wouldn't have come.  Now I am looking at the calendar, and trying to figure out when Conrad and I can go to another one (he was the one that insisted we shoot on through the thunderstorm).  Thanks to the instructors for the tips, and loaning of sling, rifle, and elbow pads.  (Who would've thought shooting on a soft carpet could cause the rug burn and blistering, that I'm still trying to heal from; obviously everyone else, as we were the only ones that unprepared).  And a final thanks to Mr. Holland for the great range, range prep, and food.

I checked with the library, and will be picking up a copy of Paul Revere's Ride on Monday.  I know at least one other book was mentioned, but can't remember what it was.  If anyone can share recommended reads, I would appreciate it.

-Jason
1st-August 8/9, 2015
2nd-January 16/17, 2016- ;D Rifleman (217); IIT0

Flyr521

Hi Jason,

I'm glad to hear you and your son enjoyed the weekend.

I mentioned the book entitled American Spring by Walter Borneman that I just finished reading.  About 50% of the book covers the events that occurred on April 19.  The rest of the book is about events leading up to the 19th and after.  It talks about the siege on Boston after the 19th and Bunker Hill.

I highly recommend it and I am now reading Paul Revere's Ride.

Alan

Slappy

Thanks.  I'll look for that one next.
1st-August 8/9, 2015
2nd-January 16/17, 2016- ;D Rifleman (217); IIT0