News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bancroft, Ontario, CANADA - July 25 & 26, 2015

Started by VietVet, July 28, 2015, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietVet

This past weekend three New York State Shoot Bosses headed North into Canada and successfully preformed the ultimate "Border Raid".
  Project Appleseed ran its first event for our Northern neighbors at the Bancroft District Fish & game Club in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada. Our friendly Northern brothers and sisters have branded this as a "Mapleseed".

OH CANADA!

First a HUGE Thank You to the Bancroft Fish & Game Club for hosting this event.  O0
You heard of our mission and believed in it and decided to bring it to your homeland.
Your hospitality for all involved was very much appreciated. Some shooters traveled 9+ hours when the word went out that a "Mapleseed" was being held in Canada. Shooters from many areas of Canada answered the call and were eager to attend and hear the History and learn of the birth of their Southern neighboring Country.

Hats off to sluggo (Doug) who spear headed this event and became our alarm rider and got the word out that the Americans were coming and all should gather on the green at the BF&GC for their arrival. Well done Doug and thank you for all you did to make this event the success it was.

To the Shooters....well what can be said except thank you and it was a pleasure both meeting and instructing you. You never tired and drank from that fire hose with our History, Heritage and Marksmanship lessons. Thank you all for attendance and attention.  :bow:

To my fellow Instructors Josey Wales (Shoot Boss) and Grumpy1 ....we done good!
It was a 12 hour trip for us to get there but well worth it and so very glad we did it.

Congrats to our new "Mapleseed" Rifleman.
        Doug (sluggo)......215
        Kevin................210 & 217 ( Yes, he got the North Bridge welcome as a
                                                            Rifleman).
        Rich..................212

Now there's so much more to add to this AAR and as I remember it and others join in the entire story of the birth of "Mapleseed" will be told but I wanted to get this up for others to join in and help me with all of what this was about.
I'll add more photos as I go through them but I wanted to get the group photo up.

THANK YOU CANADA!!!!!
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Redcoat72

What an awesome experience!

Background

I learned about the Appleseed Project via the Armed Squirrels Project podcast last year.  One of the hosts Sticksnstones, is an Appleseed instructor from Arkansas, and both hosts promote the Appleseed Project endlessly.  Their admin, Rascal21, is a dedicated Blue Hat and works tirelessly to promote Appleseed and support the international community.

After hearing about Project Appleseed, I became really interested in the program and registered to attend one in Battle Creek, Michigan with a group of friends from the podcasting community in March.  I learned about the Mapleseed event though the Appleseed forums in February and registered right away.  I knew there was no way I was going to miss the inaugural event up here in the Great White North.

Having attended an Appleseed before, I had an idea of what to expect, but was curious how the event would be tailored to suit the Canadian audience, and I also wondered how stories of the American Revolutionary War would resonate with Canadians.  We have a lot in common, but there are important subtle, and not so subtle, differences between American and Canadian culture.

The Mapleseed Event

Josey Wales, VietVet and Grumpy1 did a great job teaching us about the Three Strikes and the events leading up to the Revolutionary War, including many important individuals on each side of the conflict.  Josey Wales brought in stories from other countries and their struggles against tyranny to add some international flavour.

The marksmanship portion was taught clearly and efficiently despite Mother Nature's interruptions.  We lost some shooting time on Saturday due to thunder and lightning, but the instructors took the opportunity to cover most of the theoretical marksmanship concepts as well as the history in the clubhouse.  This meant that most of Sunday could be dedicated to shooting.

Since our rifles took a serious beating from the weather and sand on the range floor on Saturday, we started Sunday with squares targets to confirm our zero and get the shooters warmed up.  We then started the AQTs with gusto, picking up the pace and maintaining a brisk tempo for the rest of the day.  The instructors continuously reminded us to stay hydrated and provided breaks to ensure that shooters had a chance to escape the sun.  During lunch, we heard the Third Strike and enjoyed an awesome pork loin bbq provided by the Bancroft club.  Sluggo was the first to earn the coveted Rifleman Patch, showing his dedication and hard work in preparing for the event.

After lunch, I switched to my Canadian AR-15, and shot an exact 210.  :---  Since I have been to an Appleseed before where others scored a 210, I knew what that meant: I was to be doused with the Water of the North Bridge.  Thanks to the Bancroft club, there was some ice water on hand for the occasion!

Rick shot a Rifleman score soon after, which was quite an accomplishment as he was doing double duty in shooting his rifle and his camera throughout the weekend.

There were lots of great shooters that put a lot of work into preparing for the event, knocking on the door of a Rifleman score.  Keep up the great work and persist!  It is not an easy task, but it is one that can be achieved!

The weekend ended with thanks, goodbyes and challenges to continue what has been started.

Things to work on

- Target identification - shooters need to be more careful about what target they are shooting.  This can be difficult with so many shooters on the line in a compressed space, but it is critical to be sure of your target.

- Canadian Instructors - this will be critical to the future of Mapleseed.  We need instructors (Red Hats) and admins (Blue Hats), so we are going to have to step up and get going on it.  With the possibility of a Canadian IBC, and the support of our brothers and sisters to the south, this is achievable.  :sos:

- More events - We need more Mapleseed events in the area and we need to spread the word of Appleseed.  There is already interest in New Brunswick as well.

Thanks  O0

Thanks to the Bancroft club for the hospitality and hard work in preparing for the event and supporting it throughout the weekend.

Thanks to Sluggo for everything you did to ensure that the event was successful, from planning and coordination to preparation, participation and finalization.

Thanks to Josey Wales, VietVet and Grumpy1 for making the trek across the border to bring the message of Appleseed to your northern neighbours.  We truly appreciate your friendship, dedication and willingness to adapt, improvise and overcome when faced with less than ideal weather conditions.  I hope to see you again soon, on both sides of the border; it was truly a pleasure meeting you.

Thanks to the podcasters who shamelessly plugged the event over the past several months: New Shooter Canada, The Armed Squirrels Project, Modern Rifleman Radio and Slamfire Radio.

And finally, thanks to all the shooters, who made time in their lives to hear the lessons of liberty and marksmanship, to spend time with fellow shooters, encourage and help one another and work towards the goal of involved citizenry; no matter what side of the border you are on: We are the People.
Director & Instructor
Project Mapleseed

Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 21-22 Mar 2015
Mapleseed - Bancroft, ON, Canada 25-26 Jul 2015 (210 Rifleman)
Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 5-6 Mar 2016(238)
IBC - Waco, Texas 14-15 Jan 2017
IBC - Lansing, MI 25-26 Feb 2017

"When it shall be said in any country in the world my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want; the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, there may that country boast its Constitution and its Government"
― Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

hbennett

Outstanting work gentlemen! Well done!  Contratulations to our Canadian cousins for joining the Appleseed family. 
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

BoborDoub

Looking forward to the next one. Lets have it soon.

TOMINCT

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Ascension1

A Special Thank you from the Club for all that attended this great event.  Especially Josey Wales, Viet Vet and Grumpy 1 and all the registrants.

You all deserve a medal for persevering through all that heat :sos:

I can assure you that I will be participating as soon as the next event is scheduled.

Bigfootchevy

First, I would to thank our American friends Josey Wales, VietVet and Grumpy1 for coming to instruct the first Appleseed now officially called Mapleseed in Canada.

I would also like to thank Sluggo (Doug) from the Bancroft Club for all his hard work in spearheading this event and
congratulations to the Bancroft Fish & Game Club for being the first gun club to bring Appleseed to Canada.

It was such a great weekend and a very successful event. Regardless of the less than ideal weather conditions, the dedication and willingness of our instructors and participants won the weekend.

This was my first Appleseed event. Having very little idea of what to expect, I was truly impressed. While I didn't get a Rifleman patch, I did learn the fundamentals necessary to hopefully get it next time. The two countries have a lot in common so the message from the
American Revolutionary War was heard loud and clear.

To all the shooters, it was truly a pleasure meeting all of you and I hope we meet again soon :---.

Paul

.50calgrl

AAR from NSCgrl

A huge thanks to Appleseed Project, Josey Wales, Grumpy1, VietVet and Sluggo for allowing, teaching and organizing a first class event here in Canada.

I heard about Appleseed through my boyfriend and attend my first Appleseed in Michigan on March of this year. Previous to this I was not a shooter and had little to no interest in going to the range. I went to Appleseed mainly because I thought it would be a chance to get away to Michigan, I would share some time with my boyfriend and maybe, just maybe I would see why he loves shooting so much.

While in Michigan I met some really great people who were passionate about shooting (both American and Canadian) and they were also equally passionate about Appleseed and what it stood for. I was taught the fundamentals of shooting and received a high score of 138 on the AQT's. I also enjoyed the teachings that were talked about... It was fascinating learning about the 3 Strikes and hear about history from a different perspective. I enjoyed myself tremendously and before I left Michigan I had signed up for the Mapleseed in Bancroft ( I had also asked about going to the range the next day... despite the 11hr drive home).

Upon returning home I made a goal for myself to be the first Canadian Mapleseed female to get her rifleman patch. I went to the range every weekend and practiced. I was able to shoot a Morgan's shingle with 2 wee's of returning to Canada (and run through the 100, 200 and 300yard but missed the 400). I was also able to eventually get a rifleman score when shooting on my own and then I was able to get it a few more times. I then started to practice my weak areas... And then Mapleseed came!

Feedback about the event:

What worked: The Appleseed crew (Josey Wales, Grumpy1 and Vietvet) were very knowledgeable and passionate about Appleseed and it's history. They had safety of the participants as their first priority but they also wanted to ensure we all had enough time to shoot (which was challenging due to the weather), had individual instruction on technique while on the line and finally they told the story of the 3 Strikes with passion. Josey Wales was even able to incorporate some of the history of the world for us and link the importance of standing up for ones beliefs and freedoms, no matter the cost.

The shoot site was accommodating with the schedule of shooting due to the weather and they were excellent hosts as they feed us on both days, the range was private and had excellent facilities. It was obvious that there was a huge amount of work, planning and organizing that went into the event.

Areas to learn from for next time

Having 20 people on the firing line meant that the two red hats and the shoot boss were very busy. Having trained orange hats and blue hats would mean that there were more staff on the line and more individual technique training. And maybe an orange hat or red hat that is designated to stay with first time shooters. I know I would have loved that on my first Appleseed.

The firing line as a bit cramped due to having so many that were in the shooting and limitations on the range. We made due with what we had but a bit more room would have been nice (NPOA)

More Canadian content would be awesome! Maybe outline the various areas in Canada that had Loyalist Settlement and strategic battles

Over opinion of the First Mapleseed

Well done!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to all involved. It was a first class event.

Finally, I did not achieve my ultimate goal but I was very happy with my results. I went from a high of 138 4 months ago to 199. I am also hoping to participate in another Mapleseed soon!

Qualified Rifleman 3/2016 Battle Creek Michigan (Winterseed: 216, 215, 218)
Qualified Mapleseed Rifleman Winterseed 226

sluggo

I am already working on setting up the next Mapleseed!- This event was absolutely fantastic for me personally and for also my young daughter. That people are selfless enough to travel long hours, endure the rain, the heat, and the sun speaks volumes as to what they are made of. I can't thank Grumpy1, VietVet and Joesy Wales enough, for all they have done-you guys have my everlasting gratitude! It was  really great to see all the shooters partiicipate so enthusiastically through the rain and sun-and smile throughout!-Thank you for supporting the program.

The history is of liberty is important for all to hear and understand, Canada was indeed shaped by the period of the Atlantic Revolutions, and the presence of the American Republic on our door step most significant. One only needs to read of the rebellions of 1837 and recognize the influence.  The gaining of Canada's independence and emergence from the colonial system was much slower than our American cousins and it is much harder to point to a single day or event and say "that was the day"(some would however point to April 9 1917). In any event,we all need to get off the couch, and reacquaint ourselves with the democratic freedoms that our forbears bestowed upon us,- becoming actively engaged civic-ally is an important first step- hearing the story of the "Three Strikes" certainly underlines this for me.
Thank you all so much!
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

The Old Guide

Good-on-ya. That's a Canadian and Aussie expression. Maybe we can have one down in New Brunswick. It's right next door to Maine. We go down to New Brunswick.

When the British finally left Boston after Bunker Hill, about half went to Halifax and the other half went down to Long Island, New York. Great job everybody. Maybe they have .22 ammo for sale in Canada.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Rickster66

What an amazing learning experience!  It exceeded my expectations in terms of the level of teaching and patience that the instructors brought to the event.  I heard about Project Appleseed from a couple of podcasts and started doing some research.  The more I saw the more I became hooked on the project and its core beliefs.  I'd been a serious plinker for a number of years but only really got back into the sport a year ago.  This was exactly what I was looking from from both a technical and philosophical perspective.  Thank you Josey Wales, VietVet and Grumpy1.  You guys were amazing and we certainly tested all your patience and experience in trying to teach a group of 20 Canadians in torrential rain and blistering heat. 

I'm sure it was a challenge to try and adjust the stories to better fit the Canadian perspective.  I especially liked the morning pledge to the canadian flag led by Josey Wales the first day then sluggo the second.  It was nice to see the assembled group make the pledge and know that each and every person meant it.

The most important thing I learned, aside from the markmanship fundamentals, is to take my time and trust the process.  Listening and trusting the instruction will get you there.

Mapleseed - Bancroft, ON, Canada 25-26 Jul 2015 (217 Rifleman)
Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 5-6 Mar 2016(223 Winterseed)

Rickster66

Can't seem to link pics properly...sending as attachments now.
Mapleseed - Bancroft, ON, Canada 25-26 Jul 2015 (217 Rifleman)
Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 5-6 Mar 2016(223 Winterseed)

VietVet

Here's a few more photos of our event..........................
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

malabar

EXCELLENT! Job well done.

Appleseed has officially gone international!

Thanks to all who put this together, especially Josey Wales, VietVet, Grumpy1 and Sluggo.

A question for the good of the order: What should we do differently next time?

Things will obviously be easier once we have a contingent of native Mapleseeed instructors.   Sluggo, Kevin and Rich: That's a broad hint <g>.

If the line is cramped, we might be better off running relays. Rather than having 20 people on the line, we could run 12 at a time (and increase the shoot capacity to 24).  Also helps reduce the amount of ammo being used.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

sluggo

The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

.50calgrl

Going forward I would be willing to be a Blue Hat (and then Orange Hat when I get the patch) if admins are needed north of the boarder.
Qualified Rifleman 3/2016 Battle Creek Michigan (Winterseed: 216, 215, 218)
Qualified Mapleseed Rifleman Winterseed 226

BoborDoub

I'm looking forward to the next event, I learned so much. It was my sons first time using a rifle and he is hooked.
We both learned a lot. Kudos to all involved. Lets have the next one soon.

Montreal Shooter

Sorry for the delayed reply and post of thanks, life has a habit of getting in the way...

I would like to also add my thanks to the chorus.

Firstly to Sluggo and the rest of the executive committee at the Bancroft Fish and Game Club for their extraordinary efforts on bringing this first event to Canada, it is greatly appreciated!..The wonderful lunches were also greatly appreciated!!
Thanks also to Josey Wales, VietVet, Grumpy1 for your equally extraordinary efforts on also getting this first event to happen in Canada, your long travel was very appreciated.

I had a fantastic time, and really enjoyed meeting everyone that came and have certainly made some great new friends in the shooting community which is important for all of us to keep together and keep fighting for our common rights before they are reduced any further.

Although I didn't get the badge, I left as a very happy sharpshooter (score: 176), and went home a far better shooter than I was at the beginning of the weekend.
Excellent stories, information and camaraderie.
It was certainly a grueling Sunday of shooting that really was a torture test on my Savage 64.
The heat was intense and I for one was certainly seeing stars at one point!
I have a much better understanding of what is in store for the next one and I am certainly ready for the next event.

I will close by saying this...

To anyone whom has not attended one of these events...do yourselves a favor and seek one out.
This is a great learning experience on so many levels (from shooting to history).
Whether it's here in Canada or just across the border with our brothers (and sisters) to the south of us, you will not regret the experience.

Thanks again to all!!!
All the best until next time!
Montreal Shooter.

Mapleseed - Bancroft, ON, Canada 25-26 Jul 2015
Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 5-6 Mar 2016(Rifleman Winterseed)