News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Skowhegan, Maine July 25 & 26

Started by The Old Guide, July 27, 2015, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

Skowhegan, Maine July 25 & 26

We had a full line of 18 signed up, but one shooter scratched at the last minute. The club has built a brand new covered line with benches for the 300 yard range. They had target frames and backers erected for us as 25 yards.

Saturday was beautiful with cool weather, mostly cloudy and no shadows. Great light for shooting.

Saturday after lunch we had our first Rifleman when Kim made it on the first AQT. then another Kim made it, one man and one woman, not related. Then with just about every AQT somebody made Rifleman. This group listened!

Kevin, Elijah and Phil made Rifleman. We went through all three Strikes with North Country Lady delivering the first two And I did Strike Three. People come to Appleseeds just to hear NCL tell our story; and oh by the way, they also get to shoot.

Sunday dawned cold and raw for July with 55 degrees and we could see our breath. We had a misty rain all day, but the club had three large "First Up" style canopy tents for us. The club provided chairs, tables and a lunch. Can't beat Maine hospitality.

Ami made Rifleman. She has worked hard for it. Then young Jacob, age 14, made Rifleman. He was alone on the line at the end of the day when he made it and he persevered, persisted and overcame in the rain. That is SEVEN riflemen and a requal. Jacob's Dad requalled. He is on the Maine Army Reserve rifle team and first fired Rifleman at Monmouth 2 or 3 years ago. Jacob wants to be an Army helicopter pilot. I think he has the real stuff to make it.

We had a left handed AR-15 on the line. It ejects to the left so we put him on the left end of the line. The other AR, M-14 and Ruger Mini-14 were on the right end of the line. We made a lot of noise. Nearly everybody was knocking on the door of a Rifleman score. North Country lady told our shooter with Cerebral Palsy about Adaptive Appleseed and next time we'll have a shooting chair for him like the one NCL had when she made Rifleman.

Doctor Aims and Second Mile did a fine job as IITs and I'm happy to have them moving up the Appleseed Trail.

SEVEN Riflemen at Skowhegan. Maine is on the Move! Two shooters cleaned the last Redcoat. Four made the head shot and all scores were substantially better than they were on Saturday morning.

The Old Guide

Check out the Skowhegan club's FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008589664341&fref=nf&pnref=story
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

TOMINCT

Good to see a successful and safe event at Skowhegan, congratulations to all in attendance.

Also good to see several new Riflemen and Riflewoman getting the patch. It isn't easy but nothing worthwhile ever is. Hope you can help get the word out for future Maine events.

A rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

2ndMile

This was my first shoot as an ITT. WOW! What a great time. The highlight of the weekend for me was working with Jacob towards the end of Sunday. I had been keeping an eye on him all weekend and I knew he had the chops to make rifleman. You could tell he was absorbing all the instruction and any time you would give him some advice he was looking you right in the eye. He just got it. During the last 'group' AQT he scored a 207 with 2 complete misses on the bottom row. His nerves were through the roof on stage 4 because he knew he had done well up to that point. Everyone else started packing up, tearing down tents and loading them into vehicles. I asked him, "Do you want to do one more?" He just got a big smile. He was amped but I told him to do a little extra dry firing and made him take short breaks between each stage. It all paid off. 223 was the final count. Just a few points away from dad (too close for comfort his dad said). You can tell by the smile on his face that he liked it. Dad was pretty darn proud too although he said, "He will never hear the end of this!"... I hope you don't. I won't soon forget that moment!

Below are a few pics from the day.
I live in Liberty! (no, really. I do.)

Fred

Sorry I missed this event. I seriously considered trying to get up your way, but reality got in the way.

Sounds like you had a great time (55 degrees on Sunday? Sounds like 'relief' here in NC!).

BTW, if you're maxing the line, need to think about "double firing relays" - won't take much time, and there's no better way to instantly double your line...

Meantime, you folks who were there need to ask yourself the question: Is it good or bad to be the only rifleman on the block?

Start working on your friends and neighbors. That "2nd Rifleman on the Block" is a key step to making your neighborhood a great place in America!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Old Guide

t out first Libertyseed at church we had about 15 people. At our recent Libertyseed we had 42 and they want to have an Appleseed locally. We are growing in Maine and we have a few IITs now who want to do the history. That has been a stumbling block. Most Mainers don't want to speak in public.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

VietVet

Great job by all involved.
Yes, Maine is growing thank to the hard work by you, NCL and all involved.
A breath of fresh air for the NE.
Job well done.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!