News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbiana, AL 17-19 July IBC

Started by Maximum Ordinate, July 24, 2015, 11:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

The Shelby County Sheriff's office once again served as a fantastic host for our Instructor Boot Camp!  Thanks to TLawley for helping to coordinate the event!

This event was a two-day IBC with an (optional) range day tacked on the front end.  We were happy to be able to use the 200 yard range on-site.  AuAdvisor, DianaC and TJ8 all showed up for the range day.  We were able to get some 25 meter time and then move out to the full 200.  It was a great impromptu KD lesson.  TJ8 was making 1-2 MOA groups at 25 and DianaC and AuAdvisor were rocking out 2 MOA groups at 200.

The old shoot boss broke out his dusty Garand and was quite pleased with groups at 200.

Several folks arrived late.  The SCSO was kind enough to let us bunk on-site... and many took advantage of the opportunity!

Saturday morning seemed to come way too early... with a total of 10 patriots joining us from three different states, it was a good crowd.  Most of our attendees were IIT0 and IIT1 - the perfect time to attend a first IBC!  John and Callie both drove four hours from LA (Lower Alabama) to be with us!   Saturday in the classroom started off with a bang:  We had two volunteers step forward to accept Blue Hats:  James and Grace.  Both are aspiring Riflemen!  Huzzah!   ^:)^

We began instructon learning about the Appleseed Program (and what it is not), Instructor Conduct, and discussed the Guidelines listed in the manual.  We covered prone, kneeling, and many other things from a normal "Saturday" at an Appleseed.  During a working lunch, we spent time discussing leadership and accountability:  Who do we go to when we have suggestions or concerns?  What are the roles and responsibilities of folks with various titles?

Saturday evening we had an amazing pot luck.  Between Sparkee's ziti and DianaC's taco salad... I could barely move after dinner.  There was so much food that nobody needed to worry about lunch on Sunday:-)

We reassembled on Sunday morning and had a quick review of Prone and Kneeling.  Unlike Saturday, where we were detail-oriented - today we each taught the block under the clock.  It was great to see folks able to teach with simplicity and precision... in most cases under 3-5 minutes!  Callie and Grace really showed amazing improvement.  Gus was rocking out the steady hold factors like he'd been teaching them for a long time!

It was a real pleasure to have both Roswell (from Georgia) and AR-Mike (from Gadsden) come assist.  This event wouldn't have been near as efficient or as fun without their help.

Right before lunch, we had another important moment... our Applecore volunteer DianaC accepted an Orange Hat and began her instructing career!  Huzzah!!!   ^:)^

Lunch on Sunday was a working lunch.  We talked about how to tell history and the best ways to prepare and rehearse.  There was lots of crosstalk about what resonated with us the first couple of times we each heard the history.  Sparkee, Walt, and TJ8 all shared poignant moments.

The day went so fast... soon we were on to troubleshooting on the line (thank you PHenry for the line cards) and then the Mock Appleseed.  Walt, John, and Gus all demonstrated a very keen eye when troubleshooting!  Teaching about being RSO or Line Boss is one thing - actually performing the job is something else entirely.  It was cool to see young Grace find her Command Voice, which is very much like her mom's!  DianaC called the line like and old pro... and nothing escaped Terri's sharp eye!

This weekend was really a pleasure for me.  It's a joy to work with and learn from so many fine volunteers, all who have a bright future in Appleseed!

We're looking forward to a Patriot's Week RBC in April 2016 followed by another IBC in July.  Keep an eye on the calendar!

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  I'll do my best to get pictures posted in the next couple of days!  Feel free to chime in with comments, suggestions and your own pics!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

dond

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Pop Revere

It was a great weekend and an absolute pleasure to see everyone again. No complaints about the weather considering we were inside enjoying the AC. You now see how much goes into what we do. It is alot to learn but you can do it. I actually learned some new stuff and needed a refresher on some other things. So again it was a Great weekend.
All of you did well and should be proud of yourself for stepping up. With time and work you will all be great instructors. Remember what Rusty said, "There will be times when giving a block of instruction that you may get lost or just forget what to do and say. It has happened to all of us. But just keep in mind that us instructors will always be there to support you. We won't let you crash and burn in front of a group of shooters."
I look forward to seeing all of you again and I hope to work on the line with all of you in the future.
If I can be of any help to anyone please msg me here on the forum or email me at   mikecofield@bellsouth.net.
In Liberty,
AR-Mike
P.S. I'm attaching the few pics I took.
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

Roswell

What a great event! Rusty did a fine job leading us in this endeavor as I knew he would. AR-Mike it was great to work with you again. I don't know how you do it with your work schedule. TLawley and the Shelby County Sheriff's office could not have been more accommodating. The students were great also; they had excellent questions, persistent spirits and really made this out of state instructor feel at home. I hope to see all of you again soon.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23