News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC KD July 18-19

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, July 21, 2015, 09:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

Of all the KD events I've done this has to rank up there in the top 5 for most enjoyable. As with every KD we had more material to cover than time to cover it but we got the basics in and ended up with some very impressive results turned in by a great bunch of patriot riflemen.

Saturday morning is always class time and since given that we couldn't shoot on Sunday till noon we rearranged the schedule a bit and covered mostly trajectory and come-ups. After advising shooters to take detailed notes on where their holes end up vs where they're supposed to be we moved to the 25 meter line to confirm zeros.  After a break for lunch where Pain Killer delivered a great history presentation we moved to the KD line and began shooting sighters to gather data and shoot for score using hits count scoring. The heat was wearing us down but by the end of the day we had 3 new KD Riflemen and one re-qual. HUZZAH!

Sunday morning Pain Killer presented the 3 tasks of a Rifleman and the ole Wreck gave the "see spot run" version (probably the only one I can credibly deliver) of Master Instructor DonD's range estimation lecture. We moved up to the KD line where Hawkeye had put out targets at random distances for range estimation practice.  The lecture must have worked because most of the shooters were close enough (does 261 yards vs a laser estimated 262 count?) using only their front sights or optics to have made hits on the ranged targets if they'd had to shoot them.  We got in the groove after lunch and the story of the Battle of King's Mountain and shot 3 KD AQT's, resulting in yet another KD qualified Rifleman and shots on steel from 200 to 500 yards. 

As we say down south, "a good time was had by all" from the feedback I got.  Thanks to NC State Coordinator Pain Killer for inviting me up for the shoot and all the shooters who took time to attend. I look forward to the next one.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

cdavidhord

I had a fantastic time at this informative, fun, and exceptionally well run event.  I forgot one of the basics-wear a shooting jacket, even if its 100 deg and 90% humidity.  The skin on my elbows was worn off, thanks to a few hundred rounds of .308.  From this day forward, that will be my step 0 of the 6 steps to firing the shot!

mjkten

I had a great time in NC last weekend,  getting schooled in range estimation and trajectory for making hits at longer ranges. I qualified at long range under the watchful eyes of Rambling Wreck and Painkiller. I learned a lot about my rifle, as well as my own  capabilities and potential. I left knowing the things I need to work on with the enthusiasm to do it. At the end we took turns trying to hit rather small steel targets at up to 500 yards. I was really impressed with how many of the  (other) shooters made that look easy!
I wholeheartedly recommend attending a KD shoot for anyone ready to improve their skills and knowledge.
Mike.

pans858

Excellent, excellent program.  The weekend was busy, informative, and fun. 
It was nice to see and shoot with some of the great volunteers from previous Appleseed events, and to meet others for the first time.  This KD weekend was really top notch.  The mix of shooting, technical discussions, and history was just right. 

Learning to estimate range with only your sights and a formula was really valuable, and a skill to practice for sure.  Utilizing Mil Dots was made easy, and I learned several alternative ways to shoot at long ranges, which I intend to practice in the future.  The stress of timed and rapid fire stages seems a lot more intense than in a 25 yd Appleseed course of fire.  Learning to better cope with that is a skill in itself.

Ramblin Wreck and Painkiller did a great job of instructing and managing time and everyone got their fill of shooting, for sure.  I'll be back for another of these.  Thanks for the effort, everyone!

Pain Killer

This was a terrific weekend. Ben (RamblinWreck) is really skillful at instructing KD. It was a pleasure working with him and hosting such a great group of shooters. Here's some pics
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

More pics
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

KARDIAK KID

Mr. Wreck put on
a great Known Distance Appleseed. Everyone learned a lot and a lot of the students demo'ed the learning in to KD rockers and tabs. The weather was great...a little steamy, but great. The rain held off until the last AQT. Again, the students and instructors assembled for the weekend, were the greatest people. Every Appleseed seems to draw the best of America. Huzzah!!! 
Dusty old helmet, rusty old gun,
They sit in the corner and wait –
Two souvenirs of the Second World War
That have withstood the time, and the hate.
Many times I've wanted to ask them –
And now that we're here all alone,
Relics all three of a long ago war –
Where has freedom gone?
Mute witness to a time of much trouble,
Where kill or be killed was the law –
Were these implements used with high honor?
What was the glory they saw?
Freedom flies in your heart like an eagle.
Let it soar with the winds high above
Among the spirits of soldiers now sleeping,
Guard it with care and with love.
I salute my old friends in the corner.
I agree with all they have said –
And if the moment of truth comes tomorrow,
I'll be free, or By God, I'll be dead!
Audie Murphy

KARDIAK KID

more Ramseur KD 7-15 pics.
Dusty old helmet, rusty old gun,
They sit in the corner and wait –
Two souvenirs of the Second World War
That have withstood the time, and the hate.
Many times I've wanted to ask them –
And now that we're here all alone,
Relics all three of a long ago war –
Where has freedom gone?
Mute witness to a time of much trouble,
Where kill or be killed was the law –
Were these implements used with high honor?
What was the glory they saw?
Freedom flies in your heart like an eagle.
Let it soar with the winds high above
Among the spirits of soldiers now sleeping,
Guard it with care and with love.
I salute my old friends in the corner.
I agree with all they have said –
And if the moment of truth comes tomorrow,
I'll be free, or By God, I'll be dead!
Audie Murphy

Dakota

Great weekend, I didn't qualify this time but I learned a lot about my rifle, trajectory, and where I need to improve.
Thank you Ramblin' for coming up and running this one for us.
I'll be back!
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12