News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA 18 July One-Day Event

Started by brianf31, July 19, 2015, 08:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA hosted a rewarding one-day shoot last Saturday. Eighteen shooters braved 99 degree weather to learn some marksmanship and American heritage.

After an initial redcoat target to gage shooter skill, we dove right into instruction. Prone steady hold factors and sling use was followed by natural point of aim (NPOA) and Six Steps of the Shot, with a string of fire after each was taught. The black squares targets were witness to rapid improvement and shrinking group sizes. The shooters got it and applied it!

The firehose of instruction continued to flow, with Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, Inches Minutes Clicks and sight adjustment all experienced before lunchtime. Everyone appreciated the lunch break under the cool(er) shelter, where shooters heard the both the First Strike and Second Strike of The Match.

The afternoon was July-in-Georgia warm, which went well with full bellies and seated shooting. Not a single complaint was heard and many shot impressive groups. Instruction and shooting with transition to seated and prone were soon followed by the standing position. Then it was on to two AQT's which bracketed the telling of the Third Strike of The Match. It was a full and rewarding day of marksmanship and history, enjoyed by shooter and instructor alike.

We were privileged to have 7 youth on the line. They were a safe and attentive group. During the ceremony at the end of the day, they were awarded the Young Patriots patch as proud parents and troop leaders looked on. Huzzah! We had several adult shooters knocking on the door to shooting expert and winning the rifleman's patch. With a little perfect practice, they are sure to get there.

We were fortunate to have Trevor return to Macon and he shot as well as ever. He brought his wife Theresa who hails from the UK. She had a great attitude and wasn't offended when we said "British" instead of "Redcoats". If the Redcoats would have shot as well as her, we might be telling different stories!

Jamie and Connor were returning Macon students and their results showed it. Run some squares drills and you'll reach your goals. We hope to see you back again.

It does our hearts good to see parents bring their children to shoots. Chris and Cale, Mike and Andrew, David and Christopher, Joe and Belle, Randy and James all made great teams and soaked up and applied the instruction. We hope the experience was rewarding for your family.

Both Edith and Phil did well throughout the day. It was our privilege to have you on the line. 

Thanks again for your attendance. It was our privilege to instruct you and share our mutual heritage of liberty.

We even had the news and paper out to capture the shoot. Check wgxa.tv for the news video and the Macon telegraph for the article.

*First photo courtesy of Jason Vorhees, Macon Telegraph
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

CanBrit

From Theresa and Trevor,

Thank you Brian and all the amazing Appleseed volunteers! Theresa really enjoyed her first Appleseed and we have already signed up for the two day event in Toccoa! We can't say enough good things about all the Appleseed volunteers, the passion and dedication you all showed in helping make us better was phenomenal!! Thank you again!!!

brianf31

Glad to hear it Trevor. You were on the 10 o'clock news Saturday night. I hope they post the video online soon.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Morpheus

It really was a great day in the heat at the Marion Road Gun Club! I was impressed at the persistence and the great attitudes shown by all of the shooters throughout the day. Everyone seemed to heed the hydration alerts that were continually bellowed by the instructors ~~:)

My thanks to all of the shooters who attended and made it so worth while to travel from North GA. Your smiles and improved marksmanship are payment enough for me to keep coming back! Dry-fire practice is the best way to prepare for the next Appleseed, and we instructors would love to see you return and earn that Rifleman Patch O0

My thanks as well to Brian for leading an excellent shoot as his second Shoot Boss In Training event. He made my job very easy, as I knew he would. It is always an honor and a privilege to spend time with him and the rest of the instructor cadre from those parts.

I hope that everyone will not only take opportunities to dry-fire practice, but to also become more involved and informed about the history of April 19, 1775. It would be a pity indeed if the sacrifices that were made for our liberty go unappreciated. My hope is that the fire of liberty was made a little brighter with your Appleseed attendance. Come to the next event and bring your friends, family and neighbors with you! :)
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Red Dawn

We had a great time at the event. Thank you Brian, Morpheus, and all the volunteers for making the event a success. The temps were high but so were the scores by the end of the day. Special thanks to Scar for not giving up on us and always having solutions to what the target says.  It was great to see a wave of youngsters at the event....... since they are our future. Great stories were told reminding us of what our forefathers really risked for what we enjoy today. Always enjoy meeting new people on the line from different walks in life with the common interest.

Thanks again,
Jamie and Connor
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."  --

Giverthegun

Thank you to all the instructors.  It means a lot to me that that you would take the time on a hot day to help me and my son James become better riflemen.  We both enjoyed hearing the three strikes of the match.  I want to especially thank Free for his perseverance in improving my marksmanship.  I think Steve did a fine job interfacing with the media.  Also, I am grateful to the Marion Road Gun Club for hosting the event.

By chance, if anyone found a red hat and sunglasses, my son James left them at the range.  Just let me know.

Randy

brianf31

I have his hat and sunglasses. E-mail sent.

― Joseph Warren

DrJohn

Congratulations to all our gallant students for making this such an outstanding event in spite of the challenging Georgia summer heat. And be aware that Georgia  now is in the wonderful position of having a large contingent of Red Hats, with not so many Orange Hats as this time last year. Translation...Georgia needs Orange Hats now, to balance things out. I warmly encourage those so disposed to attend another Appleseed event, score Rifleman, and join our teaching family. Our country needs every Patriot it can get, and we would be honored to have you join with us. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

brianf31

― Joseph Warren

Roswell

Great job everyone! It sounds like you had a really great event. Huzzah!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Peachy

It was a really good day, even in the heat.  I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me on my first official shoot as an orange hat.  I learned a great deal from the awesome instructors and I hope that I helped some of the shooters.  It is always good to be around such wonderful people.  Looking forward to many more!

Karen

MC

I was glad to see everyone stick it out in that heat. The camaraderie that is shared, is priceless. I truly have looked forward to each event, as a student and as an IIT.
"If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves." -Howard Zinn

scarlett

Great to be outside on this fine Georgia day. Did anyone say that it was hot? It is our (Scar and Scarlett) greatest pleasure to volunteer our time to shooters that are here to learn about history and to improve their marksmanship skills. 
Brian did a great job in running the shoot.  Peachy is always great to be around.  You are better than you know.
Senior Chief what can be said, good job and great company.  Morpheus and his crew are always ready to jump in and do what needs to be done.  Thank you Red Niva for lending your voice to me. 
Jaime and Conner it was a pleasure watching you shoot.  Jaime will be a rifleman soon.  Keep dry firing and perfect practice.  I expect you to be taking an orange hat after doing so.  Edith great to be spending time with you hope to see you return soon.  Theresa keep the sun out of your eyes and I hope to see you change that for an orange hat soon.  This was just a start of who were out there.  So many good shooters and potential orange hats.
Mike and Andrew glad to see you out. 
We hope that you learned something and that you learn about what makes us free today.  Keep the thoughts of liberty in your hearts and out of your mouths daily. Tell someone!!!  Strike someone's match keep this fire burning.
Scar and Scalett

s20130

Sorry I am so late in thanking y'all.  I can truly say that the event was one of the most challenging things I have done as an Adult!  Thank you for your patience and guidance.  I knew that I had learned a great deal, but I did not realize just how much until the next time I went to the range.  My confidence level was up 1000%!  I was even able to teach my Husband the "hasty sling" and his standing scores improved.  I will be back!!
Thanks again for all that you do.
Edith