News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Carson NM July 11-12, 2015 AAR... the lonelyseed

Started by BlueFeather, July 15, 2015, 09:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFeather

What a week!  My water pump on my car blew up the day before the event, and I was thinking of canceling since I only had one student.  The DAR owner said "No Way!" and loaned me his pickup truck for the weekend!

I'm glad he convinced me to persist, because this was the most rewarding Appleseed I've done in a long while!

The parking area and our flags.

The firing line! He was left-handed, so I was on the ejection port side of his AR, watching intently the whole time.

My student had attended our April 19th AS at Whittington and he had practiced almost every day since then!  His best score in April was 160.

We reviewed everything and on the end of Saturday he scored 212!

I broke down and took a selfie to document the happy event.

It was clear what he needed, so on Sunday I set up 4 backers and posted squares on three of them and an AQT on the fourth.  I had John shoot the bottom row of 6 squares in an NPOA drill, 2 shots each from prone.  Repeat on the top row.  The middle row was in seated.  From there, we immediately did the 4th stage of the AQT, and he got a perfect score.  He got the body shift!

showing just one of the NPOA pages.

The rest of the AQT was better too, and he scored 240!

Happy student!

From there we talked about trajectory, BSZ, near and far zeros, come-ups and basic wind corrections.  We figured the come-downs (b/c of course, he was zeroed at 25 and 300- with his AR) for his scoped AR and a .308 with irons and he repeatedly connected his steel target at 150 yards. 

He had a fantastic time and gained lots of insight!  I have to say, he was the most committed student I've ever had and he showed the fastest improvement I've ever seen! I'm glad I was able to give John such close attention as it really showed in his shooting.

Next month: A ladyseed, with more students!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

Laredo

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

TaosGlock

Awesome job as always BlueFeather!  :~ :--- :bow: O0
Had I not been at the NRAWC Raton teaching for 6 weeks I would have loved to have been there. ;)
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose