News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Scout has passed away

Started by scuzzy, July 13, 2015, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Wolves

Below is a You Tube video of Michael presenting the Appleseed Program.

Watch it, save it, share it-------learn from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74l9kdIH0S4
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

B9

Scout was an exceptional person. So very sad to hear of his passing. 
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

spitstickler

From his sister:

"A celebration of life will be held on August 8, 2015 at 11:00 am at the Davilla Assembly of God Church in Davilla, Texas. In lieu of flowers we will be setting up a scholarship account for his daughters."
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Roswell

My condolences. I never met Scout except for listening to him on Internet radio, but he definitely had an impact on me, even then.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

PHenry

Quotescholarship account for his daughters."

I would very much like to see us pull together as Appleseeders and dig deeply for Scout's posterity. Please post the details for donating as soon as they are available.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

SKSRifleman

Very sad... I never met him, but I did listen to his radio show quite a few times. I heard that he was a really great dude and a very humble man from all those who had the privilege of knowing him. RIP.
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

lookylou

Michael Adam- Scout- a friend of mine has passed on tragically. He leaves behind a wife and five daughters, steeped in the traditions of this country and the Founders' Beliefs. He also leaves behind countless hundreds and possibly thousands who learned the meaning of being a Rifleman and what the Founders wanted for this country. Anyone who listened to his historical stories were profoundly impacted, deeply moved, and their lives uplifted just a little. He convinced me to hold the first Appleseed in El Paso, guided me thru the setup and preparations, shared his food with me, and told me his life story. We exchanged stories and learned we had a lot in common. Mike also convinced me to step up and shepherd Appleseed through a difficult point in its history and in El Paso. Thru his guidance and mentoring we turned many hearts from cold stone to warm, beating and patriotic brethren. Mike conquered his past ghosts and Appleseed was his way of paying back the Creator and the Founders for the many blessing they had bestowed. Appleseed and I parted company because of my past ghosts chasing me, and Mike was still there to offer an encouraging word. Men such as hew are only with us for short periods of time, so it behooves us to listen to what they say. I am sure he is in Heaven recounting the many Appleseed adventures he had over the years with the Founders themselves. And he can say unashamedly that he honored them and his family. Rest in Peace Mike Adam. Well done thou faithful Patriot.
Mike Schwartz (aka WestTx) Sends.

Minutemom

I am so, so sorry to hear of Scout's passing.  I did not know Michael, but I listened to Rifleman Radio, and as a fellow instructor he was a part of my Appleseed family.  His tragic death is a great loss for this community. 

There is a nice tribute to Michael on the Survival Podcast today starting at 12:23
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/feedback-7-20-15/comment-page-1#comment-847551

I would like to contribute to the scholarship fund.  If someone could let us know how to do so, I would appreciate it!  Jack, the host of the Survival Podcast, would also like to know how his podcast community can help out as well.

I am praying for Michael's wife and daughters, his family, and the repose of his soul. 
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

malabar

I regret that I have never had the opportunity to share a line with Scout and learn from him.

The proof of the impact that he made in this program is that he has been inactive for several years, and yet, his legacy lives on. 

I'd like to honor those memories. Would those that knew him mind posting a brief note, telling us how Scout made an impact in their lives?  What he taught them? How he inspired them?

Please tell your stories here....

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=46115.0

Several of you already have done this, but for those that haven't, please consider contributing.

Death leaves a heartache
no one can heal;
Love leaves a memory no
one can steal.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

LittleMo

Our condolences, and our prayers go out to his family.

Gary & Sue
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

KodyJaret

I knew Scout from his travels to upstate NY. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Nickel,,,glad to see your still kicking......

B-9,,,I thought you croacked,,, ;)

henschman

Michael was an outstanding human being, a true friend of liberty, and the epitome of a Rifleman.  He will be remembered most fondly.

We honored him at the Pawnee Run 'n Gun with a special award for the top rifle shooter, which I was glad to see go to Tommy Newton, a friend of his.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

spitstickler

Here is where those who wish to contribute to his daughters scholarship fund can do so.

http://www.gofundme.com/zh458e6
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

BlueFeather

He will be missed badly. He got TaosGlock and I started off here in NM very early on.
What a tremendous family man and Patriot. He gave us much support and encouragement early on.
He always put in a plug for our business on his Rifleman Radio Show and called us "salt of the earth folks".
That was a tremendous compliment and went straight to our hearts...and that is how he rolled with folks he knew.
I will forever cherish my IIT orange hat, signed by him.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

fisherdawg

Scout was a true gentleman & a patriot.  We never met, but we spoke quite few times on the podcast.  He will be greatly missed.  Many prayers headed for his family.
fisherdawg
(In Alaska)
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

PHenry

The gofundme link failed initially, but I went back in and was able to donate. Please do so if you can afford to. Appleseeds is a family and we need to show our support. Many thanks to spitstickler for following up on this.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Green Bean

My heart and prayers go out to Scout's family and AS brothers.  Michael changed my view on a lot of things in life.  He is gone but not forgotten.  His spirit lives on in all the IITs, red hats and riflemen he mentored.

The Old Guide

Just saw this. I'm shocked. I met Scout once briefly at a NH shoot, but knew him best from the many Thursday night Appleseed shows on the radio. Prayers out for his family.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Reckless Rick

Prayers to his friends and family,Thank you for sharing him and his passion
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

goose

Through another of those inspired by this endeavor of Fred, Junior Birdman told a short story of Scout, and the sheer rustic fun of going to Scout's own range for events. Staying over for the weekend and hot showers from a 55-gallon drum suspended over a wood fire. A stretch to sign up for a Texas shoot from Georgia, but always one of my dreams to try and make one. The Appleseed family lost a magnificent Brother, but his spirit should inspire us to carry on, no matter the obstacles. Our lives are richer for having the fortune to know of and be in Michael's company.

Faith, Hope and Love,

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

scuzzy

"Just get your azz down here."

I remember those words quote-un quote just like yesterday.

It was Dec 2008. I just heard about Appleseed on the Derry Brownfield Show. Sam D was a guest and Derry and him were talking about Appleseed. Man - I just hadda go to that. So I called Scout. He was going to putting on an RBC in 2/09. Heck and it even started the day after my birthday. I didn't have the bucks though. But I saw this contact phone number. And called. I started by spiel. I was broke but I'd wash dishes, clean crap, do whatever it took but I wanted to go to the RBC. Scout wasn't saying anything. So I kept my spiel up - I'm broke but want to go - how can I get out?

And then Scout said, quote unquote,:

"Just get your azz down here"

And so I went. And here I am now.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: scuzzy on August 07, 2015, 08:36:38 PM
"Just get your azz down here."

I remember those words quote-un quote just like yesterday.

It was Dec 2008. I just heard about Appleseed on the Derry Brownfield Show. Sam D was a guest and Derry and him were talking about Appleseed. Man - I just hadda go to that. So I called Scout. He was going to putting on an RBC in 2/09. Heck and it even started the day after my birthday. I didn't have the bucks though. But I saw this contact phone number. And called. I started by spiel. I was broke but I'd wash dishes, clean crap, do whatever it took but I wanted to go to the RBC. Scout wasn't saying anything. So I kept my spiel up - I'm broke but want to go - how can I get out?

And then Scout said, quote unquote,:

"Just get your azz down here"

And so I went. And here I am now.

I remember scuzzy "the noob". Good times.  O0
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Jerry Hall

1st AIBC Davilla, Texas - The world is still the same size, there's just less in it!
Rest in Peace Brother-"till we meet again-Happy Trails"
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

natlmatch

I can't believe I just found out, my heart is crushed. Scout's early AS was the first one I ever attended and he got me hooked. I took several friends with me over the years not only to introduce them to an amazing cause but to meet an amazing man. I can't believe this has happened.

He and his familly will be in my prayers.

I'll never forget you, Mike....

cwa11is

Shocking and sad.  I was just telling a co-worker this morning to look into Appleseed because he just bought his stepson his first rifle.  My first and only experience with Appleseed was a weekend shoot at his place in Davilla 11/08.  It is one one the greatest times I can remember.  The spirit of the gathering felt like instant friendship and brotherhood.  It is an honor to have met him and experience his work.