News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sparta IL, 6 July 15 - VentureSeed

Started by Maximum Ordinate, July 07, 2015, 11:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

After you've been to a few Project Appleseed clinics, you observe that no two are the same.  Each one is special in it's own way.  But once in a great while, you have an event that is truly EXCEPTIONAL.  This week's one-day Appleseed in Sparta, IL was exactly that kind of rare treat!

Project Appleseed was invited by the Venture Scouts to spearhead their Kodiak week at Sparta.  This is a week full of shooting sports: Rifle, Pistol, Highpower, Shotgun, Archery, and ummm, Square Dancing?   #)   ;D   **) 

We were honored to be invited to share their camp event.

Sunday afternoon, a handful of cheerful Scouts assisted in range setup... putting out flags, policing the range, setting up lines, and parking areas.  Getting stuff ready on Sunday was so much easier with these volunteers.  Not knowing much about Appleseed, there were some curious looks about the flag set.

After a few more Appleseeders arrived, we had the opportunity to get a jump start on instruction.  We were joined by DonD, Ramblin Wreck, Tellico, Sis (& daughter).  All our Scouts & leadership gathered 'round and we discussed safety at length.  Then we learned how to prep magazines and had some familiarization time with the Ruger 10/22.  Everyone was focused and relevant questions helped understanding.

Appleseed instructors were invited to join the Venture Scouts to camp... and despite this Shoot Boss's concept of "roughing it" being Motel 6 with no room service... he reluctantly agreed.  What a nice surprise to find the camp hospitable and early morning breakfast excellent.  Quartermasters, y'all make some fine food!

We met at the range with FORTY Scouts all arriving early and ready for business!  It was an assembly line to get shooters their t-shirts, mats, and places on the line.  Sarah and Sis were like machines getting the shooters through the wickets!  Then, it was time for business.  After a quick intro, 'Wreck shared with us the First Strike telling about Captain John Parker and his men on Lexington Green.  How had things gotten so bad in 1775?  After that, it was time for a Redcoat target and lots of instruction.  Scouts were getting their teacups filled with a firehose, but determination won!  Soon after shooting, the sun came down like a hammer.  Even veteran instructors from the South were feeling the heat.  Hydration was the watchword of the day! 

We had our first square before lunch and then your humble narrator gave the Second Strike, talking about the events at Concord, the North Bridge, and Colonel Barrett's farm.  I know all of our shooters were grateful for the break and the opportunity to be in the shade for a little while.  We spent the next couple of hours focused on prone position and getting our groups tightened up.  The Scouts were doing very well.  After some cooldown time mid-day, Bluegrass jumped in with an excellent Third Strike, telling about farmers and blacksmiths and bakers chasing the "professional" army all the way back to Boston.

We learned about sitting/kneeling and were ready for our Qualification Test.  Overall, our shooters did very well and their willingness to learn new things really showed.  We had some good scores.  I wish we had a second day, as I believe we could have had a dozen or more new Rifleman.  Some of the shooters were knocking on the door to get their patch!

To the Venture Scouts & adult leaders: It was a distinct honor to serve your crews on Monday.  It's pretty clear that you are tomorrow's leaders and my vision of the future is a little brighter knowing each of you carry that same bright flame of Liberty in your hearts.

I hope that each of you continues to pursue excellence in marksmanship and works to make a difference in your own community.  I look forward to seeing you on the line sporting Rifleman patches.  :)

I encourage anyone with feedback or pictures to share them.

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  I especially want to thank my fellow instructors for helping to make this an awesome event.  Not just for the loaner equipment (and there was a TON of it), but your excitement and "can-do" attitude helped keep the day going... even when the heat and humidity became oppressive.  I am grateful to each of you.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Sis

Rusty,  I agree!!  This really was an exceptional Appleseed for me too!  The scouts were very inspiring and I am so happy I got to meet so many positive young people.  It was a wonderful team to work with and everyone made us feel welcome.  I feel like I learned so much.  And meeting so many inspiring Blue, Orange, Red and Green hats was a real treat!
"If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten."
― Rudyard Kipling, The Collected Works

"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. "
― Michael Crichton

BluegrassColonel

Between the enthusiastic scouts & scout leaders on one hand (all with teachable attitudes), and the fantastic instructors on the other - Rusty nailed the descriptive word for the event: EXCEPTIONAL!

Rusty's leadership as SB, having a Master Instructor (DonD) and two Senior Instructors (Ramblin' Wreck & Rusty), and 3 energized blue hats (Sarah, Sis and Sis's daughter) helped to assure excellent presentations, with the focus, and to keep things moving along with the one-day event where the time monkey was a factor going in.

The Course of Fire went smoothly and when adjustments were needed, the instructors stepped up.

Although I was concerned that the scouts might have difficulty integrating all of the instruction after getting doused from a non-stop firehose, the joy of seeing a young lady wearing a huge grin and literally skipping back to the firing line from the target line after checking her AQT, was reassuring and inspiring.  Had the event continued on Tuesday, there would have been a lot of scouts going home at the end of the week with Rifleman patches.

As Living Hand and I prepared to head back to Nashville at the end of the day, more than one scout told me that they planned on attending a 2-day AS, and the effusive compliments (and in once case a teary one) by the leaders made the trip and effort entirely worth it.

It was a privilege to serve at this event!
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Pop Revere

GREAT JOB! O0
I wish I could have been able to help. Thanks to all of you that made the trip or donated equipment.
This is what makes us the best program in the land.

In Liberty,
AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022