News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Constitutional Champions Camp, Colorado Springs, CO, June 15-18, 2015

Started by Prone to Knit, June 28, 2015, 05:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

For the fourth year, Project Appleseed has been a part of the Constitutional Champions Camp in Colorado Springs. This camp teaches 2-6 graders about the Constitution and our nation's founders in a hands-on manner, using reenactors and activities to reveal history in a real way.  You can start one or be a part of one in your area:  http://www.constitutionchampions.org/

Two of our instructors, JustJax and ColoradoBoots, are with the camp all week telling the strikes and dangerous old men/women stories as well as running other activities. This year the strikes were told to 132 people including both kids and adults.

On Tuesday, June 16, we took our ever-popular pellet line where the importance of the role of marksmanship in our founding was hammered home. In the session before us, they riled up the kids about those pesky Redcoats so they were pretty enthusiastic by the time they reached us.

Working the pellet line:  oneshot_onehole, ColoradoBoots, MedicDan, Prone to Knit and camp helpers Bill, David (ColoradoBoot's son), Sonya, Irene and Calvin. It was very cool to hear David and Calvin (who has attended several Appleseeds) tell dangerous old men stories to the waiting kids.

We had many kids that had never fired anything before and some expressed fear which quickly dried up once they were coached through their first shot. One particularly fine success story came from ColoradoBoots (Elizabeth) - she had a little girl that was in tears and very afraid so Elizabeth asked her to help Elizabeth make a shot. Then the little girl was coached through a first shot, happily making the remaining shots, all smiles.

Many parents came by to watch their children and expressed gratitude at the lessons of safety we instilled  and helping their children get over the fear. One man has wanted his kids to learn to shoot and has been interested in Appleseed for awhile. As he watched his children on the line, he decided they are now old enough to learn as they handled themselves well and he intends to take his family to a shoot soon.

From the photographer:
These great and dedicated instructors make this popular event successful and safe. As you'll see from the pictures, there's a great deal of individual attention on the firing line. Each section of campers includes about 20 plus the mentors. The firing line is set up for 10 shooters at a time. So, some of the younger staff members either help on the line or take care of the other half of the section while half are firing. I was a pistol instructor during summer training for the USAFA basic cadets in 1962 and also have been on ranges for pistol requalification a number of years, so I can attest to the quality training provided by these instructors. -- Jimmie Butler
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Prone to Knit

More pictures.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Prone to Knit

More.

Prone to Knit

This is the staff picture. A great big thank you to the Champ's camp staff that came to help.

Left to right:
oneshot_onehole, Prone to Knit, MedicDan, ColoradoBoots, David, Irene, Sonya, Calvin and Bill.

Prone to Knit

A special mention of the family in this picture, left to right, positions 1, 3, 5 and 6. This family has been to multiple Appleseed events. They have taken their Boy Scout troop down to the Whittington Center for special shoots. Mom, number 5, is an extremely talented seamstress, lending her skills to making Revolutionary War outfits, but I wouldn't doubt that the daughter made the one she is wearing. This family has stepped up multiple times when we've needed help, at this camp and at the CHEC Conference we did several years ago. They are tops in our book!

Two Wolves

Great job! You exemplify what great American's are about! Best regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Colorado Pete

Excellent! Wish I could have been there. I had forgotten about the one I helped with years ago. Great time, the youngsters are always wonderful!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper