News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Southbury, Ct. June 13-14 2015

Started by TOMINCT, June 16, 2015, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

A new range, some great weather and a lot of new and enthusiastic attendees made for a special Ct Appleseed weekend.

The event planning started a year? ago with the help of freedomwon and Tom P. the landowner. The effort was definitely worth the trouble. Ct has a fair amount of private ranges but no outdoor facilities have been available in the southwest corner until now.

Saturday started with 11 shooters and the IT crew of Heavyduty77, Freedomwon, Bcodes and edleit to get things started. Although the crew had worked together in the past some new challenges in range setup and going to a 2 relay system made for and interesting day.

The students took to the instruction well, even with getting the usual sighting/equipment/ammo malfs under control throughout the day. The lunchtime break included the first strike by HD77 and continuance on the finer points of rifle marksmanship during the afternoon.

The day finished with an AQT and the third strike along with the standard recommendation to check and clean equipment and rest well for Sunday.

We had 9 shooters for Sunday and spent time on drills and individual attention where needed. I know Josh hit a 190 and I believe there were some others with solid scores, but always with one stage that 'bit' them. Typically the sitting RF stage.  A lot of improvement was seen throughout the weekend, but no rifleman, unfortunately.

A big thank you to Tom P. for the use of his range. It was tight but cozy, nestled in with tall maples providing a nice canopy that kept everyone cool.

The IT crew did their usual best at keeping things running smoothly and attending to the needs of those who needed it. The shooters were a great bunch with an open mind to instruction and many were impressed by the actions of our forebears. We spent some time talking about other actions that took place in the cause for Liberty and sacrifices made to ensure our freedom.

All told a great group of shooters that make the weekend a most worthy endeavor.

A rifleman persists.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Heavyduty77

What a great weekend for an Appleseed! Perfect weather and a terrific group of shooters. The private range was pleasantly located in a grove of trees that provided shelter from the direct sun.

With four instructors on line we were able to provide the personal attention that make an Appleseed so beneficial to the shooters.

Thanks again to all the participants and instructors.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935

"Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population defenseless." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin

"Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."                             -- Aristotle

VietVet

Great job by all involved. Shooters and Instructors.
A new Range in CT? PRICELESS!  :bow:

Looks as if the CT Crew and residents are in the process of regrouping and that sure is a breath of fresh air for our Region.

Well done all!  O0
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Josey Wales

Keep reaching for the stars, some day we will be on Broadway.. Great job Tom & crew as always!!
..JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

BCodes

Thanks again to Tom P. for providing us with a range for the weekend. Those of us in Southwestern Connecticut greatly appreciate it!

The shooters proved to be a great group throughout the weekend. Thanks for making the effort to come out!

Two Wolves

Great job! I love the backstop. Goes to show that there are solutions to problems that we may not have encountered yet.  O0
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

Does that work for center fire or 22 only?
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

TOMINCT

Two Wolves, the backstop has been used for CF, we opted to run it 22 as it is in a residential area. Not too populated but we didn't want to alarm the neighbors.

It is built from telephone poles with poles for uprights also. The ends are angled back towards the firing line to contain splatter from reactive targets. It is backed with fill so it's a walled berm for want of a better word. About a foot thick at the top and maybe 5 feet thick at the bottom.

The range in Kintyre ND is built from hay bales, 2 layers about 7' thick for the backstop. 1 layer about 3.5' thick for the sides. I was told that a 270 win won't go thru the first layer.

I'm sure there area few other interesting range layouts out there.

Great job on the pics!
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13