News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Saint Augustine, FL June 13-14, 2015

Started by FLawyer, June 14, 2015, 09:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLawyer

HOT! Humid! Brutal!  And that was just before noon on Saturday.  Did I mention that it was HOT? I don't think I have been that hot and sweaty since basic training in July 1970 at Fort Jackson, SC....

What a weekend!  I don't even know where to start...First of all, it was HOT.

19 motivated and eager shooters.  A great group of instructors and Applecore volunteers.

We started out with introductions, framing the weekend against the backdrop of the events of April 19, 1775 and the safety briefing. The weather was already warm and humid (the SB was already soaked completely through his shirt...) as we fired the first Redcoat target which revealed that there was great room for improvement.  At that point we opened up the firehose of instruction and immersed the shooters into using the sling as a shooting aid, steady hold factors for a solid shooting position, the 6 steps to firing each and every shot, and the mysteries of natural point of aim.

We introduced the concept of dry practice and used a block of time to make sure that each individual shooter got one on one coaching on a good prone position, carding for sight alignment, sight picture and NPOA.  Taking this opportunity to work out individual kinks, without ammunition, gave each shooter the opportunity to fine tune dry practice skills for doing their homework after the weekend.

From there sighting in on the squares targets, talking targets and IMC were covered.  After several courses of fire on the squares from the prone position, we introduced the seated shooting position, magazine changes and transitions.

At lunch Smoak presented the First Strike and set the stage for trying to pay forward the sacrifices of our founding generation.  After lunch as the temperature under the canopies, in the shade, approached 100, we covered the standing position, and the transition to prone.  After the Second Strike was presented and the heat index was well over 100 we launched into the fabled AQT.  While several people came close, there were no Rifleman scores on Saturday.   :'(  Although 3 returning Riflemen scored above 200, the heat and brutal humidity (Did I mention is was HOT) took their toll.

Cheri, one of our AC volunteers working her first shoot as AC, really pitched in and made sure we suffered no heat casualties.  Huzzah and a huge "attaboy."

After a benediction the shooters were sent home to rest, hydrate and recuperate from the day.

On Sunday the weather was a near duplicate of Saturday.  17 (out of 19 from the prior day) shooters returned and after Theri presented the history of St Augustine and the 14th Colony in the Revolutionary Way with General Washington's several expeditionary efforts to capture Florida we were off.  After reviewing the instruction from Saturday, we launched into the AQT grind and completed the first AQT of the day before lunch.  The Heat Index was already 105 ,   BUT  4 shooters shot the score on the first AQT of the day. 

After lunch the AQT grind continued and 2 more Rifleman scores were shot.

I want to thank each and everyone of the shooters who gave up a weekend in the AC relaxing to come out and honor Lady Liberty and our heritage as Americans.

Thanks also to Smoak, Theri, Tom, Brian, Chris and Cheri.  With a cadre like that being the SB is much easier.

In Liberty to all,

FLawyer
Glenn Padgett

All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

B.C.

Hot, hot, hot! Did I mention it was hot? Inferno seed conditions existed on both days. Good times on a humid Florida summer weekend. As always the instructors did a wonderful job, a special thanks to all who worked the event. Congratulations to all who showed their persistence under the sun! Lady Liberty was shining bright on all of us, really bright!  :) I can't wait until the next shoot!! 
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

B.C.

More pictures.....

B.C.

And more pictures.......

B.C.

A few more....

BamBam

Team,

Deepest thanks for a great weekend and a very special experience for Hannah. This was her first experience shooting a firearm and she appreciated both the shooting as well as learning more about our nation's heritage and the events of 4/19/76. I've been away from Appleseed for 5 years but am glad to be back and to see the program as strong or stronger than ever.  The other youngins at home are chirping to go next time so the contingent will be growing. Will incorporate DF practice and the 6 steps into my own regimen and train them up on the basics so we can arrive a little farther down the learning curve next time. Special thanks to Smoak for the chairs/rifle/shooting pads.  :) BZ to the ones who made the score. Hope to see y'all out there again real soon! 

V/R,
BamBam

smoakingun

First, I gotta give credit where credit is due...mecreos, were it not for your generosity in providing additional canopies, many shooters (and instructors) would have had to endure the sun in addition to the heat (did anyone else mention it was HOT?)
Second, I gotta commend Aiden and Hannah (and their parents, you folks are doing a fine job raising adults) for fantastic attitudes in face of sweltering heat, lesser children would have whined and complained, but you two gots grit.
Third, the rest of my students. Wow. Hot brass, heat, dehydration and suffering galore, and not one bad attitude. You folks made this shoot a dream for us instructors.
I cannot wait to get you folks back on the line, in November or December or some other month when it ain't so hot ;)
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Earl

Having been in Saint Augustine and at an Appleseed with Theri and ItsanSKS, I liked seeing Theri's name as participating. Many long years ago, many long years ago. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15035.0 Glad to see such long time participation. O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

FLawyer

Are you the SB who showed up on a motorcycle the morning of the shoot and pulled a red hat out of your pocket?  Theri has told that story a few times.

At least we did not have the target line flooded out at the end of the shoot, but with the heat it might have been welcomed.

FLawyer

All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

theri

Yes.  That was Earl. 

It was my first event as an IIT and the Shoot Boss and other IIT's overslept,  So here I was a brand new IIT and having to take control of the event until the Shoot Boss showed up 15 minutes before we were to start.  Earl was a lot of help to me especially when I was calling the line and many of the things he said to me that day I still think of when I am calling the line. O0
Whiskey Tango 9

Minutemom

Hey guys, was it hot?........ **)

Sounds like a great shoot - I wish I could have been there!  I would have liked to have heard Theri's 14th colony story.  I've never heard it before.  Well, I guess I'll just have to get meself out to St. A one of these days for a shoot!

Congrats to all the new riflemen - that is some feat in that kind of heat!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,