News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gurley, AL, Young Marineseed - June 6-7, 2015

Started by Maximum Ordinate, June 13, 2015, 12:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

What a fantastic weekend!

Last Saturday, 15 Young Marines and parents came out to learn solid marksmanship fundamentals and hear the story of April 19th 1775.  The group of YMs were aged 8-18 and all arrived with great attitudes and a willingness to learn.  The ol shoot boss showed up early to learn he wasn't first guy on the ground - SureShotSpartan made a welcome guest appearance on Saturday!   :)

Despite it being the hottest weekend of the year, the YMs kept a pretty good pace.  After Sergeant Mount assembled his Young Marines, we started the day!  We opened with some introductions and Ramblin' Wreck sharing the First Strike and how much of what was in the Bill of Rights is directly related to abuses of the colonists by the British government.  Then our instructors jumped into marksmanship with the Redcoat target and focus on fundamentals.  We had lots of good questions from our YMs.  Sayle, Shiffler (Kaitlyn), and Bristow were learning lots and really doing great focusing on safety!

When lunch came, DonD gathered the shooters and observers around and quietly shared the Second Strike and the events surrounding Concord.  After his telling, the Young Marines jumped back into marksmanship.  With the 90+ degree weather and high humidity, we took plenty of hydration breaks.  By the end of the day, groups were looking much better!  Ridelski & Baker were rocking it out.  Shiffler (Jeremy), I was very pleased how much you learned through the day. All the Young Marines had much to be proud of! ^:)^  We closed out with Eddie sharing the Third Strike with the colonial militias forcing the Redcoat retreat.

We reconvened a bit earlier on Sunday morning, to take advantage of the cool morning hours.  After a quick review of prone and the other subjects from Saturday, we learned and Sitting & Kneeling positions!  We practiced each sitting & kneeling variant and adjourned for lunch where we heard about the Dangerous Old Men (not all of whom were old or men!)   ;)

After lunch we on Standing.  The first time we shot in standing was the AQT and there were lots of smiles.  Holt, you were laser-focused and your improved shooting showed it.  You had some great groups!  We wrapped up with two AQTs and a final Redcoat target.  As a special treat, we let every Young Marine who wanted take three shots (in Rifleman's Cadence) with an AR15.   :---

It was a real pleasure for all of the instructors to work with the Rocket City Young Marines.  I hope to see each of you (and parents too!) on the firing line again soon!  I'd like to give a special thanks to DianaC, who is a leader with their crew and also Alabama's newest Applecore member!  We appreciate all your hard work helping to organize this event! 
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

EddieB

It was truly inspiring to be with such a fantastic group of young people!  We covered a lot of instruction over the weekend and their enthusiasm always stayed high.  I was honored to serve them, and I hope to see them again soon on the firing line.

Here is a link to some photos I took:
http://s288.photobucket.com/user/EddieB_AS/library/Gurley%20AL%20June%206%202015?sort=3&page=1

Maximum Ordinate

I'm going to post a few pics here, but most of them are in my Photobucket folder.  If you'd like a high-resolution copy of any that I took, please send me a PM or email.  :-)

-Rusty

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/rusty-appleseed/2015-05_GurleyAL/20150607_084825_zpsbgaelbyz.jpg

The direct link to the photobucket album is:  http://s24.photobucket.com/user/rusty-appleseed/library/2015-05_GurleyAL?sort=3&page=1
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.