News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Rimfire Sporter at Thurmont, MD

Started by MikeCee, June 01, 2015, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeCee

As mentioned at the meeting on Saturday 5/30, Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club has several CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches scheduled for this year. This could be an opportunity to get some interest in Project Appleseed by demonstrating the effectiveness of the program's marksmanship training.

I'm getting in contact with the Sporter Match organizer there and will pass along any information that we'll need. At the very least, you'll want to have registered at the CMP website before showing up to do the shoot.

Most of you probably know this already: the Rimfire Sporter Match is for smallbore rifles that weigh 7 1/2 pounds or less with sights; trigger pulls of more than 3 pounds. O-Class rifles have open sights; T-Class rifles have telescopes (max. 6X) or receiver sights (so Tech Sights shoot against scopes). Firing is done at 50 yards in prone and sitting and at 25 yards in standing positions, in slow and rapid fire modes. Please note that the standing position is done without a sling.

The start time for the matches is 9 AM.

Jun 14 2015
Jul 05 2015
Jul 26 2015
Sep 13 2015
Nov 08 2015

Address is 11617 Hunt Club Road, Thurmont, MD 21788. Web site is http://www.tcandsc.org/

They have a flyer posted online.

And yes, Chris, they do Garand matches, too.
Qualified Rifleman Feb 2014 - Annapolis, MD
Requalified Rifleman July 2014 - Waldorf, MD
Joined Applecore July 2014
Requalified Rifleman May 2017 - Annapolis, MD

BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

MikeCee

Updated information from Thurmont:
The club is redoing the website. It will be great when it is done
(hopefully next month), however the date for the June Rimfire Sporter
event is incorrect. It will be held on June 14th not the 13th. I have
attached the correct flyer for 2015.

You should bring a NOTARIZED affidavit if you have not shot at TCSC
before. Here is the link:
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Affidavit.pdf . If the
participant is under 21, you will need this form:
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Jr_Release.pdf .

You should bring a .22 rifle, about 100 rnds of ammo, shooting mat or
pad to lay on, eye and ear protection. Shooting jackets and
specialized gloves are not permitted (you can use work or sporting gloves)

We will not shoot if there is more than a misting rain. Call me at
304-582-7555 if you have any weather concerns.

Please call me if you have an other questions/concerns.

Steve Crowe

I will be planning to attend this one and may also try to drag some folks from Berwyn if possible, preferably those that own an Appleseed shirt!

MikeCee

We had three Project Appleseed shirts visible among the 15 shooters at the CMP Rimfire Sporter event at Thurmont this weekend (me, Arianna, and Erick). Even though none of us shot well enough to claim a CMP Medal, our scores were well into the upper portion of the overall scoring. Many of the attendees had previously heard of Project Appleseed and were very interested to hear more about it, giving us the opportunity to pass out pamphlets and relate a few stories. As expected, an excellent seventh-step opportunity.

I believe that Erick was taken by surprise concerning the similarity between the two programs. CMP normally does their prone and seated shooting at 50 yards and standing at 25 yards, but we were using reduced targets at 50 feet.  CMP limits the shooters to loading 5 rounds at a time. The slow fire prone allowing for 10 rounds to be fired over 2 minutes. Rapid fire prone includes a standing to prone transition for a cycle of five rounds. Seated is quite similar with the second seated course using a standing to seating transition, and then two rounds of standing, slow and fast, but without the use of a sling.

There is interest at Thurmont to host an Appleseed event, but we need to feed that enthusiasm.  I'll certainly be doing my best to get back there for the July 5 event in addition to redoubling my efforts to host CMP events at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club.

BeSwift

Mike,
Good breakdown of the CMP event. There's no good reason we don't have an active AS program at Thurmont.. Circle back to me for the 7/5 event.. I'll pencil it on my schedule.
Thx   B
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eroyle

What really caught me by surprise was lumping Peep or Aperture Sights with scopes.  Going with a scope next time.  We had a great time at the event and several people really expressing interest in Project Appleseed.  I will attend again in late July.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.  John Adams

MikeCee

I will be venturing over to Thurmont for this weekend's CMP Rimfire Sporter. Hopefully, I'll be able to build on the interest that was shown about Project Appleseed at the last event.

BeSwift

Gimme a buzz or an email to let me know when you're going. I might be able to free up to join you..
Thx B

Quote from: MikeCee on July 02, 2015, 01:58:55 PM
I will be venturing over to Thurmont for this weekend's CMP Rimfire Sporter. Hopefully, I'll be able to build on the interest that was shown about Project Appleseed at the last event.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeCee

Missed the bronze medal by 4 points. Oh well.

I do need more pamphlets before the next one!

MikeCee

Sounds like Eroyle and I will both be at the CMP Rimfire Sporter at Thurmont this weekend, in keeping with BSwift's request to get us in front of more ranges.

So far, our reception there has been very positive.

I'm hoping to see a couple more of our guys there this weekend, which will be their last one for several months.

Eroyle

But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.  John Adams

Orion59

Would like to make this shoot too. Do you have any details? Time, location? Thanks!
We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt

Orion59

Answered my own questions by reading the entire post.
We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt

Eroyle

MikeCee

I'd try to get there by 8:30, however, since they really want to start shooting by 9.

The only trick for me now is making sure my family leaves me with a car so that I can get there!!!

MikeCee

I am working on getting approval to host an official CMP Rimfire Sporter event at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club in Bowie, MD, on October 10, 2015.

This date would not conflict with any scheduled Appleseed or CMP Rimfire events in the state of Maryland.

I believe that this could serve as an advertisement for Project Appleseed, particularly considering the cadre of Appleseed instructors who are currently members of BRGC.

Let's see how this goes!

BeSwift

Mike.. we'll take it however we can get it. There should be a HUGE crossover between the two programs and should result in more students on the AS line!

Quote from: MikeCee on July 28, 2015, 12:55:58 AM
I am working on getting approval to host an official CMP Rimfire Sporter event at Berwyn Rod & Gun Club in Bowie, MD, on October 10, 2015.

This date would not conflict with any scheduled Appleseed or CMP Rimfire events in the state of Maryland.

I believe that this could serve as an advertisement for Project Appleseed, particularly considering the cadre of Appleseed instructors who are currently members of BRGC.

Let's see how this goes!
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeCee

Just a reminder that the next CMP Rimfire Sporter event at Thurmont is Sunday, September 13.

Let's see if we can get several Appleseed shirts on the line.

MikeCee

Quote from: Eroyle on June 16, 2015, 06:12:21 PM
What really caught me by surprise was lumping Peep or Aperture Sights with scopes.

I've recently gotten a copy of the rules for 2015 and it allows for a separate class for aperture sights at the discretion of the organizer.