News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marion Ohio May 23 & 24,2015 AAR

Started by Corvette, May 25, 2015, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a fantastic Appleseed was had in Marion, Ohio at Meeker Sportsman's Club this weekend. It started with two days of perfect weather with sun, mild temps and a steady trailing breeze that keep everybody cool through out both days. We had an oversold shoot and a crowded line.  This was not a problem as we had a great group of instructors and IITs to work the line.  RPD and his son Iron Patriot, Cadence, Charley, Chippendale and Shep made a great team which made everything run smoothly.

All the shooter's brought learning attitutes and worked hard at their tasks of absorbing all the POI's.  After a welcome and the safety brief, we got down to the business of sending rounds down range. The morning red coat indicated that we had a lot of work to do.  Out of 21 shooters, we only had about a third competent at 100 and not much more.  But this would soon change.

After instructions in steady hold factors, the six steps and NPOA along with related drills and practice the groups were improving.  By lunch we were able to start our sign adjustment work.  After lunch and the first strike we were back on the line adjusting and confirming sight corrections. This was followed by instructions in seated and offhand.  The second strike was delivered by Shep at the afternoon break and before we knew it, the day came to a close with a practice AQT and the third strike.  The final red coat was shot and dramatic improvement was there for everybody to see.  Over 80% were now competent at 100, over half at 200 and almost that many at 300.  And, there were plenty of folks joining Daniel Morgan.

Sunday dawned just like Saturday and we picked up where we left off.  The morning Red Coat showed just a little fall off from Saturday afternoon but not much.  Some extra work was done on NPOA and we started right into the AQTs.  The story of the day was Vince. He is a poster child for working at home to become  better.  Vince came to one of my shoots last year in Celina. Shot well but was not all that close to becoming a rifleman.  However, after last year's appleseed, he started a program of dry firing in his basement at least three times per week.  He said it didn't take all that long. He would come home from work, go downstairs, dry fire for ten or fifteen minutes and go about the rest of his evening.

He said he had only made it to the range a couple of times since our last shoot together and he was interested to see how he was going to do. Well if there ever was a commercial for the value of dry firing at home, Vince is it.  In his first four AQTs he shot 216, 213, 238 and 236.  Oh, and by the way, he was doing this with an M1 Garand.   He folllowed these performances with a clean Red Coat on Sunday afternoon.  Huzzah, we were in the presence of a true Rifleman that day.   O0 O0

During our morning break we gave some history on all the Rev War Flags flying at the shoot and at lunch, after the KD lecture, we did the DOMs. The final Red Coat was shot shortly after lunch so we could drop our line and use the 200, 300 and 400 yd berms that we have available to us at Marion.  Shooters were able to engage targets at their far zero and confirm the information that they received at lunch and then were able to test their come ups to engage a 4 MOA steel target at 300 and 400 yds.  The targets showed that our shooters had improved with too many hits to count at 300 and 25+ hits at 400 yds. 

The day ended with fond fairwells and many indicated that they plan to return to Marion in October for our next shoot.  Huzzah, pew pew Merica.

Corvette

:pics:
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

I didn't get the chance to take as many pictures as I would have liked.  I know other folks did so I expect more to follow.

We had a very family oriented group of shooters.

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Liberty60

For those that get a chance to attend a shoot where Steve is the shoot boss, DO IT!

Steve (and his team) did a great job:

• Walking us through the drills
  • Patiently correcting where needed
  • Providing encouragement (thank you Charlie!)
  • Keeping the line safe at all times
  • Recounting the Three Strikes of the match stories[/li|

This was the second Appleseed for me, my son and my daughter. While we saw improvement, we've not achieved Rifleman status. Of course, this means we're coming back for another event in the future!

Thanks again for a great time!

Shep

It could not have been a better weekend for an Appleseed, and what a great group of shooters to work with!! The high point had to be hearing the 4 moa steel ring at 400 yards, as shooters put what they learned to the test.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Corvette

The benefit of dry firing on display.  Well done Vince.

Corvette

Corvette

Liberty60

Thank you for the kind comments.  We look forward to having you and yours back on the line soon.  It's all about saving America.

Corvette

vino

Thanks for the kind words.  Truly, I knew nothing about firing a rifle until I went to an Appleseed.  All I did was read the material, practice, and attend the Appleseed.  One young man this weekend asked me if firing an M1 Garand is any different than a .22.  The only difference is the recoil.  The NPOA, breathing, trigger pull, sling usage, etc are all the same.  Once you figure out the .22, the only difference is from there to a .30 cal is learning to manage the recoil an it's only a minor adjustment.
     My two favorite books on the American Revolution are https://thefoundersbible.com/ and http://www.bringingbacktheblackrobedregiment.com/store.html.  If you get the chance, I highly recommend them.
Vino

What is necessary to the security of a free state? A well regulated militia - 2nd Amendment

"Who are the Militia? They consist now of the whole people, except for a few public officers."  George Mason

Corvette

Vino, thanks for the book recommendations. I will have to check them out.

Corvette

vino

I almost forgot.  Thanks to all of the Appleseed instructors who selflessly spend their free time on their weekends to teach us all and bring America back to a nation of Riflemen!
Vino

What is necessary to the security of a free state? A well regulated militia - 2nd Amendment

"Who are the Militia? They consist now of the whole people, except for a few public officers."  George Mason

Corvette

Vino,

A big "Thank you for coming", followed by a big Huzzah, and an Amen.

Corvette

Cadence

A great event at a great range! Although I was only there for Saturday, it was good to see Corvette again and assist him and SBIT Shep in getting a great group of Americans on the way to rifleman status. I also want to thank my new Appleseed acquaintances Shep, RPD, and Iron Patriot. It was a pleasure working with all of you and hope to see you on the trail soon.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Equally important, there were quite a few young patriots on the line. All were very conscientious and eager to learn. HUZZAH to all the attendees .
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams