News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

In the spirit of Apple Seed

Started by Dragon-Woods, May 19, 2015, 01:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon-Woods

I gave my fiancee's son his first rifle.

[/URL]

I actually bought it for him last year and was going to give it to him for graduating his junior year with honors. Well, he dropped the ball towards the end, didn't get honors and his Mom said she didn't think he was responsible enough.

THIS year, it's a whole new story. A total stud, 19 years old, a high school senior, and a USMC Poolee, [ https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080513141658AAkeeZR ], what could she say?

I'm going to get him to the next shoot ASAP!
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood. You know what that means? It means you're alive. It means you won. You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

inSANEmom

Looking forward to seeing you both on the line!
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

Dragon-Woods

see everybody at Myakka on the 20Th.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood. You know what that means? It means you're alive. It means you won. You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.

TJ Kackowski

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, that's a Marlin Model 60.  Very nice present!

Some people don't think a tube fed rifle is a good Appleseed rifle, but I find them to be an AWESOME rifle to use at an Appleseed.  I managed to shoot a rifleman score at my first Appleseed with a Model 60.

One suggestion, install some TechSights on that rifle ... http://www.tech-sights.com/ ... be sure to order the sight adjustment tool with the sights.  With the TechSights on that rifle, and that young man doing what the Instructors tell him, it will be a tack driver.

One other item that you might find useful is a speed loader.  Here's a link to a speed loader I use for tube fed rifles ... http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=40366.msg289720#msg289720 ... this tool (or one like it) will greatly enhance his Appleseed experience.

Two Wolves

Quote from: Dragon-Woods on May 19, 2015, 01:33:54 PM

THIS year, it's a whole new story. A total stud, 19 years old, a high school senior, and a USMC Poolee, [ https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080513141658AAkeeZR ], what could she say?

SEMPER FI!    :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Dragon-Woods

Here he is shooting my take down at  fifty yards.

[/URL]

After grouping 50 rounds into a ragged hole from a rest he claimed it was too close and moved
to the 100 yard range.

Did I mention his favorite movie is, "American Sniper"?

His next 50 rounds were all in a 5" splatter target.  And he did laugh as
he mentioned  other shooter's targets.

Dragon-Woods

Quote from: TJ Kackowski on May 31, 2015, 09:46:28 PM
If my eyes aren't deceiving me, that's a Marlin Model 60.  Very nice present!

Some people don't think a tube fed rifle is a good Appleseed rifle, but I find them to be an AWESOME rifle to use at an Appleseed.  I managed to shoot a rifleman score at my first Appleseed with a Model 60.

One suggestion, install some TechSights on that rifle ... http://www.tech-sights.com/ ... be sure to order the sight adjustment tool with the sights.  With the TechSights on that rifle, and that young man doing what the Instructors tell him, it will be a tack driver.

One other item that you might find useful is a speed loader.  Here's a link to a speed loader I use for tube fed rifles ... http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=40366.msg289720#msg289720 ... this tool (or one like it) will greatly enhance his Appleseed experience.

A Marlin 60, indeed! My first .22 rifle, but mine had that squirrel carving on the stock.

I'd love to have that now!

I'm going to talk to him about those sights. Those are peeps, right?

TJ Kackowski

Yes.  TechSights are peep sights.  Also called iron sights.  I just picked up a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 with the squirrel stock ... they're still out there and shooting great.

Sly223

Dragon Woods,
Very clever,
I look forward to working with a future Marine.
I will bring an AR Ak and a 1911 to help familiarize him with his future tools of the trade.
Nothing better for what ails you than an Appleseed!
See y'all at the range
In Liberty
Sly223 ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Dragon-Woods

Quote from: Sly223 on June 02, 2015, 03:08:52 PM
Dragon Woods,
Very clever,
I look forward to working with a future Marine.
I will bring an AR Ak and a 1911 to help familiarize him with his future tools of the trade.
Nothing better for what ails you than an Appleseed!
See y'all at the range
In Liberty
Sly223 ..:..

That would be flat out awesome and a great service to a young man.  I'll bring extra ammo.

I have, and he's shot all those, but to have you do that is way cool.

LOL, I was nailing a 5" splatter target with my WASR 10-63 at 25 yards,
gave it to him and he missed every time. " Move the target closer!", he kept saying.
Must have been that slant break thingy.

Sly223

Familiarizing ones self with the tools of the trade is priceless.
Competitors will do the same, more tools more opportunities for success! O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Dragon-Woods

Looks like we've a monster on our hands.
He spent his graduation money on a brand new M&P 15/22.

nyrasgt

Suggestion/hypothetical:  If said shooter/Rifleman was to become an Instructor (RHI), his NEXT S&W 15-22 would cost $360 rather than the
msrp $499, using the Instructor Purchase Program...can buy a significant amount of ammunition for the $139 saved...

Just a motivational thought...

Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt

PS  As nyrasgt, watched American Pharoah (sic) at Belmont Park win first Triple Crown in 37 years...'course, saw Big Red/Secretariat do same
     by 31 lengths in '73...downhill from there...
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

B.C.

The Smith M&P 15-22 is a fine rifle indeed. I've had one now for some time and have run thousands of rounds of all types through it without much issue. Black dog makes a reliable 50 round drum that's a sweet accessory for the rifle, here is a you tube video on the drum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOBFE8R6-wQ
I picked one up a while back and never had any issues with it - 50 rounds of real fun!

The M&P 15-22 is a solid option for those who want a customizable "tactic-cool" looking rifle without the high price of 223/556 rounds. It's made a great companion to my standard M&P 15 AR.
My wife loved it so much.......it's now her rifle........
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

Is wife bringing said rifle to the FL Ladyseed in September??!!!!!!!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

B.C.

I'm working on that! We'll see............ :)

Dragon-Woods

I hope it's a good AS rifle. He really wants to shoot it at  Myakka next weekend.
We're picking it up in the morning and staying to shoot it too!
I'll post a pic if I can.

Sly223

I have come to find each is like a fingerprint no matter the maker or model or era! You can stack the odds in your favor with these three strong factors but no guarantee. We will put it through its paces and find out in Myakka.
Did you sign up yet?
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Dragon-Woods

I'll get right on that sign up, sir!

He was dying to try the forward grip. How is that going to work out?

Should we get the GI web sling too?
[/URL]

Sly223

Forward Grip?????? :slap: :shootself: :wb: &) %) !@#)
If I need to put that into words I will wait to see him in person!
..:.. Sly
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Two Wolves

Quote from: Sly223 on June 12, 2015, 11:30:23 AM
Forward Grip?????? :slap: :shootself: :wb: &) %) !@#)
If I need to put that into words I will wait to see him in person!
..:.. Sly

Thanks Sly, that's a scream! I'm still smiling!    :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

B.C.

Hmmm, forward grip you say? If you feel like you need one, at least get a good one. Like this.........

Sly223

GI web sling absolutely will save your life.
..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Dragon-Woods

LOL, Austin's  M&P 15/22 almost didn't make it to Myakka!

We were shooting this morning in anticipation of the weekend shoot. I had busted out some  Remington Golden Bullets and he had an out of battery slam fire.

I heard something not right and told him to check the bore. Could have been a squib or who knows, right?

Come to find that the extractor, extractor plunger and extractor spring were gone.

I looked around and found the extractor and the plunger. He found the spring. We got the range 'smith and he put it back together. 100 rounds later, and I guess it's GTG!

See you in the swamp.

Dragon-Woods

That's him in the middle, 5 weeks in. I can't wait for
him to get back from Paris Island so he can teach me how to shoot!

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata