News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA range Appleseed, may 12

Started by BillP_556, May 07, 2015, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillP_556

Is anybody on this board attending the NRA range Appleseed on Tuesday?

I and my neighbors son will be there!  He just turned 18 & bought his first rifle, thought learning how to shoot the Appleseed way would be the best birthday gift.
Respectfully,

BillP_556

FiremanBob

Several instructors from the Virginia corps will be there. Thank you for bringing the young man to his first Appleseed. I know he'll have a great  time, and hope he will bring all his friends and their families to future Appleseeds. We have at least one per month for the rest of the year in Virginia.

With your help, and his, we will save the country.

Safety note: I trust that he, perhaps with your help, has field-stripped and cleaned the rifle before using it for the first time. It's always good to verify that there is no grease, machining swarf, packing material or rust preventative in the action and barrel before taking that first shot.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

MostlyHarmless

If one or both of you has not shot at the NRA range, please come a bit early.

In order to shoot on their range, the NRA requires every shooter to do a safety course. Once you've done it they will issue you an NRA Range card, so you don't have to repeat the course when you come back. But doing the course takes about a half hour (maybe a bit longer if you're new to shooting).

We can't get onto the range floor before 1400, but classroom space for the safety course should be open before then. If you can come about 1300 to get that done, that will help us to make the most of the time on the range that we do have. (And if you want to come even earlier, the free NRA museum is certainly worth a walk through first.)

You guys will have a lot of fun. The NRA Range makes for a very different environment then our usual open field, but it's still a great place to do an Appleseed. Looking forward to working with you.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775