News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New to rifles, unsure where to start

Started by Griff, May 06, 2015, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minutemom

I had the pleasure of meeting Griff this weekend at the Gainesville Appleseed event, and I can tell you that she did a bang-up job!  Her wonderful attitude and determined persistence would have made our forefathers proud.  I could tell by the look in her eyes when I was telling the story of Pru Cummings Wright that she felt a sisterhood with the brave women of the Revolution, and no doubt she would have been standing next to them if she was born to that era :)
Great job Chelsea!  Your adorable little daughter has a wonderful role model to look up to in her mama!  Well done - you are a WOman who knows what she is about  ;)
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

B.C.

WAY TO GO Chelsea! After I scored your last 234 AQT on Sunday I found it hard not to tell you right away what a great job you did! Your persistence and determination payed off big time. You should consider becoming an RWVA volunteer. Your success is one of the many reasons we gladly give our time to spread the word of our history and heritage as true American rifle men and rifle women. We are all very proud to welcome you to the exalted rank of rifleman! Your next rifle purchase should be a center fire - just sayin! Great job!

Chris
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

Quote from: mecreos on June 01, 2015, 02:23:44 PM
You should consider becoming an RWVA volunteer.

I'll second that.  Come back out, shoot the score again, and take an orange hat.  We need more lady instructors on the line.  I know Rambo Granny will be sorry that she missed this shoot  ^-^.  She is the one that encouraged me to join the ranks  O0
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Griff

Thanks, you two, for your very kind words. This weekend has affected me greatly. For the past few years I've dedicated my life to helping others in whatever capacity available. After the first day at Appleseed I knew I wanted to get involved, long-term. It's all I've been able to talk about since.

I felt like the instructors were truly invested in my success, and you just don't meet many people who have the ability to care for strangers like that. I walked away each afternoon with the impression that I had just spent a whole day among friends.

Appleseed is the best way to spend a weekend. I'm not sure what I expected in terms of history lessons, but I was moved to mental cheering, heartbreak, misty eyes and laughter by the different stories that were told. You can't help but put yourself in their shoes and start weighing your own inner belief system and moral compass. It's a very staggering realization to understand just how much was sacrificed by our ancestors.

All in all, I feel like I'm at the beginning of a very long journey with Project Appleseed.

Minutemom

Quote from: Griff on June 01, 2015, 11:20:17 PM
After the first day at Appleseed I knew I wanted to get involved, long-term. It's all I've been able to talk about since.

^:)^

That's how it started for me too   ;)

PHenry

All in all, I feel like I'm at the beginning of a very long journey with Project Appleseed.
O0

Been here since Jan 2007 and took "hat" (didn't actually have orange hat then) in Jan 2008. Figured I'd pull eight years - same as the Founders. Well, that mark is swift approaching and need to find someone to take my place when I leave. Oh, who am I kidding. What would I do - go back to all of the hobbies I gave up for Appleseeding? No way!  ..:..
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

stoneknives

Quote from: PHenry on June 02, 2015, 03:21:37 PM
O0

What would I do - go back to all of the hobbies I gave up for Appleseeding? No way!  ..:..

Dive Gear - Dry Rotted, Mouse eaten or Sold. CHECK
Golf Clubs - Covered in dust in the corner of the office. (1 charity match 4 years ago) CHECK
Motorcycle - Sold to get a new motorcycle (still don't have it)  CHECK
Reloading - Haven't reloaded anything other than an Appleseed round in years. Haven't cast any bullets in 3 years.  CHECK
Computer - No computer games  CHECK   (but I've learned Fbook and G+ sites "And that's big Fun" said Know-One EVER)

But like the man said" No Way" would I change.... ;D

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Sly223

I once did nothing,
then did everything,
Now I Appleseed! ..:..
Sly223
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Minutemom

Griff, get yourself over the the AAR here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=45818.msg321230#msg321230

You DID say that you wanted to be mentioned  ;), and you were!

Ari

Hey, I meant that jokingly! But at least the mention is a positive one.  ;D