News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HAT CREEK, CA INSTRUCTOR ONLY KD CLINIC MAY 2-3, 2015

Started by NorCal22Gal, May 05, 2015, 11:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

Instructors became the students this weekend as 10 NorCal instructors learned a bit about Full Distance shooting.

Saturday am and early afternoon was spent in a classroom like setting (I wish my classrooms looked like this though...) as eaglescouter took them trrough the mechanics of solid positions and why it was important, trajectory, battlesight zero, come ups and wind. 

After the classroom part was over, there was a try out for "Morgan's Riflemen".  One shot, cold....at a metal head target at 150 yards.  3 of the "Citizens of Lexington and Concord" joined the Ranks of Morgan's Riflemen.  Congrats to Rae, Brian and Vinnie.

We spent the rest of the afternoon sighting in on squares and then at distance. Then confirming that battlesight zero really does work,

About 6pm, the scents from the bbq ribs called us all to dinner.  BIG THANKS TO BRIAN FOR THE WONDERFUL RIBS!!! :bow:

After dinner, we retired to Scoutcamper's trailer for a bit more classroom work and some dessert...

Target detection and ranging was the topic. 

Sunday was cool and breezy, windy at times...with the wind coming from behind us most of the day.

Students began the day by completing and verifying 400 yard sights.  Also by breaking in to teams to detect targets set out amongst the targets, trees and grass of the range area.  6 targets were hidden. 

One team found 5, then found the 6th after time was up. 

After all teams had detected the targets they set about figuring out the distance of those targets. 

481, 329, 201, 120, 144 and 84.  After that, eaglescouter revealed the location of each and had the students shoot those targets.  It was a blast and enjoyed by all.

AQT's commence following the hide and seek targets.

2 new Long Distance Riflemen were crowned!!!  Walter with a 202 and Scoutcamper with a 200.  Scoutcamper was "Baptized in the waters of the North Bridge" for his 200 (200 is the min score for full distance AQT).   :--- :~ :--- :~

Long Distance strips and rockers were awarded.

Break down and clean up was done.  Thank you for the help in the clean up.  With out help, the job would have taken hours. ^:)^

I want to thank each and everyone of the instructors who came up to Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club range this weekend and worked very hard to learn what we shared.

I also want to than the Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club for hosting us, Will Leslie from the Cowboy Shooters for the event saving loan of t-posts, and Patrick Henry Jones for the donation of campaign signs for our backers. 

Laurie  NorCal22Gal   Shoot Boss
Joe       eaglescouter

scoutcamper

Pictures!

Libertarian777

Thanks to everyone for the camaraderie and great instruction. And thanks too to Vinnie for the musket shooting! What a hoot!

eaglescouter

Special thanks to the following for making the event possible:

Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club: For granting us access to their phenomenal facility.
Patrick Jones: For donating his campaign signs for use as target backers.
D&L Auto:  Steel for unknown distance target stands.
Redding Driveline Service: For cutting and welding our unknown distance target stands.
BrianH, BBQ Master, for providing an efficient and awesome dinner.
Scoutcamper: For hauling backers, targets, stands and line materials that could not have fit in my rig.
Vinnie: For the Brown Bess demo
Shasta County Regulators (Cowboy Action Shooters): For allowing us access to their stash of T-posts after we encountered wind gusts of 30MPH.
Slim: For showing me that unknown distance could be done and was worth the effort.

And special thanks to the crew for maintaining an incredible positive attitude thru 30 mph winds taking down part of the line, for showing up early for setup, for staying late and helping take down,  and for being a great team.  You are the inspiration that keeps me going.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

WinterRider

Hey awesome job Walter and scoutcamper! Congrats on honing in your skills and making the hits at full distance.
Thank you to everyone who made it possible to attend a very educational weekend. And thanks Vinnie that musket was a blast to shoot.

eaglescouter

Photos:

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

More photos:

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

Happy instructors preparing targets:

30 MPH gusts take down the 400 yard target line:

Target ranging on unknown distance targets (unloaded, no ammo)

The sun sets at the end of a perfect weekend of Appleseeding:

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

viperrt1

Don't panic just aim.

NorCal22Gal

polygunner

Oh man, you all had a blast. I am so bummed I missed this. I think envy is the right word.

Boo hoo/wah. How do you type crying sounds?

I guess I can just look at the pictures and daydream.

pg

NorCal22Gal

:'(  we really missed you polygunner...you need to come up to a shoot again. 

Vinnie

Thanks so much to Joe and Laurie for all of the effort that went into putting together & hosting this wonderful event!!!

Thanks to Matthew for all his prep-work  helping to get set-up, and for shuttling us up and down range.

Thanks to Brian for the awesome ribs! ... and, for being a good coach.

Congrats to Walter and Matthew for making Long Range Rifleman!

Thanks also to all who attended and helped out.... this was a very enjoyable event.  I look forward to doing it again next year!

Vinnie