News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Desoto, KS May 2-3 2015

Started by connibear, May 04, 2015, 11:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connibear

Another great weekend to be out on the firing line with a great group of patriots. It looked like rain was going to hit us hard but there were only a few sprinkles that managed there way down upon us. We had a line of 20 brand new, never been to an Appleseed before, students before us to try and take a weekend and turn them all into Riflemen and women.
We ended up having a low round count event because several folks showed they needed some help and we did the best we could to help them out. We did not get to any AQT's on Saturday, but on Sunday we managed to get five or six in. Several were in the 190's and one young lady right on the line with a 206, but wait she did not give and she made the grade with a 221 and then backed it up with a 226 I believe it was. It was greater then her previous one anyway. Everyone was great, friendly and fun. From the way the shooters were talking they were enjoying themselves and having fun also, which is what I want to see. If you're not having fun what's the point of getting out.

Great job to all the shooters and I hope to see you all again.

Before I forget, a big congrats goes out to Megan (fyrefly), she took a blue hat this weekend, but I have a feeling it may change to orange sometime in the future.

A big thanks to "Sarge" for getting this event set up and also to Mill Creek Rifle Club for hosting us. Thanks also goes out to Lomshek, Postal16 and Shawn for coming out this weekend to help. You guys are great hope to work you with again.

Thankyou everyone for attending, remember to practice everything you took in this weekend, and maybe by the next shoot you will be receiving your Rifleman patch.

I will try to get pics up or get someone else to in the next day or so.   O0
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

postal16

Thanks for coming up from Southern MO to make this happen.  I had a great time and I am looking forward to climbing the IIT ladder to SB!
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

Lomshek

Here are some photos I shot on Sunday.  The line thinned out in the afternoon as the day wore on and a few had to leave early for other commitments but it was a great day on the range!

I had a good time working with Shawn and being guided by connibear (Ben) and I'm looking forward to working with Postal16 soon!

Thanks to Mill Creek Gun Club for hosting this and member Sarge for arranging it.  The facility is top notch and has the range to do a KD version in the future.

This young man was the youngest of the weekend (coached by his dad here).  Dad went on and off the line as he helped guide his son or had one of us do so while dad shot.  I'll let dad ID himself if he wants.

Last but not least our Very Dangerous Young Woman of the weekend proved she knows what she's about with a 221 after lunch then followed it up with a 226!  She took on a blue hat and is looking forward to donning orange after a second Appleseed.

postal16

Lomshek...PM me were you are located, I look forward to meeting you too.  I have some ideas on other locations we can check out here for AS events, and where we can hopefully mine some talent for more IITs through my network and boy scouts.
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

fyrefly

A BIG thank you to all the instructors! Even if I hadn't made Rifleman I had a total blast - and it's all thanks to you!

I actually hadn't been aware we had a low round count event but I'm actually very glad we did. I'm by no means new to shooting (though previous to this I've been strictly bench) and used to about 25-round groups. I think it ultimately helped me, and some of the newer shooters, to shoot a 5-round group, make adjustments, shoot another group, etc.

It's more useful in reading the target with 5-rounds vs. 25-rounds to me, anyway.

Outside of that, I think my greatest improvement came in my prone position. The information on sling usage (previous to the event I never used one) was my greatest asset as my 10/22 Takedown has a tendency to wander if pressure isn't kept consistent (due to the nature of the 2-pc, any pressure applied on the front of the joint can vary the spread by up to 3" in any direction). The sling removed those variables and improved my accuracy. Additionally, I also learned that shooting with the single-mag instead of the double-stack is probably best. While I shot well, it's much harder to find correct posture with the extension.

...now I just need to remember to stop pseudo-slapping the trigger and I'll be set!

My Dad didn't make Rifleman with me, so we're already booked for another Appleseed in October with Lomshek (at my college stomping grounds...woo!). In the meantime, Dad will be using what he's learned to continue practicing for October and I'll continue practicing to step up my game with another of my rifles (I chose not to go with weight-reducing options for my AR-15 so it's significantly heavier and thus will be a greater challenge for me to fight arm fatigue).

Looking forward to the future!
Even in darkness, there can be light.

5/2/15: 221, 226

postal16

Congrats on making Rifleman, I knew you would make it, just wish I was there to see it!

While waiting for the next event you can sling in and practice with dry firing...I put a dot on a index card and tape in on the wall at the end of the hallway, and strap in (make sure you have no Mag in the well, and the gun is absolutely not loaded) and practice NPOA, Riflemans cadence and trigger pull.  You are building muscle memory.  My AS rifle is a S&W AR15-22, so I can mount a laser sight on the side rail, and I watch the dot on the wall for movement during this exercise, and this helps ALOT!

Hope to see you accept the Orange Hat at the next shoot!
-Anonymous

fyrefly

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely try them out! As I said, I've been primarily bench before now so need to build up the muscle and the muscle memory in order to hold the patterns. Dad and I are able to mount a red-dot also so we have that part covered.

I'll need to try out the different sling styles to see which I'd prefer...I'm not sure I'll like the loop sling even with the detachable option you presented but to each his own. Guess we'll see!

(And wish you were there, also! Though I will admit I was getting a little worried I wouldn't make it... ;))
Even in darkness, there can be light.

5/2/15: 221, 226

SOLAR30

Just like doing all the right things that Appleseed instructors teach you to make that perfect shot, the right ammunition choice for your rifle will improve its capabilities to deliver that perfect shot. Reloaders know that minor changes in a bullet powder charge or weight for a particular rifle can mean the difference in a sub-moa pattern and a multiple-moa pattern.

Part of my preparation for our course was to test nine different types of .22lr ammunition in my 10/22 Takedown. Using a "vice" for stability and accuracy, I patterned each type using 15-rounds each at 50yd. Each brand and model of rifle most likely will have different results so you need to do your own tests.

One factor in performance is the speed of the bullet (essentially, subsonic vs standard vs high-velocity vs hyper-velocity ammunition of different brands). Different speeds resonate differently with every barrel. There was some definite trending by brands (and, of course, the brand my rifle disliked the most is the brand I have the most stock of). I found that my 10/22 Takedown loves the subsonic. The pattern varied less than 1" (across brands) compared to a standard velocity's bulk brand 3" pattern. There were some decent, but varied, results between brands of hyper-velocity ammunition.

Testing different types of commercial ammunition for any rifle, be it rimfire 22 long rifle or centerfire .308, can contribute to that Rifleman qualifying AQT. Selecting the right ammunition means not having to worry about anything but applying the proper marksmanship skills to get the job done. Unfortunate for me (I was close but no cigar) but fortunate for my daughter Megan (fyrefly).
Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. -- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

colonial shooter

Thanks for this information Solar30. I try to tell my students that each rifle has its own personality. they are very choosy about ammo. I suggest that as ammo becomes available for yours, stock up! Do return to another appleseed and practice what you were taught, you will see the difference some dry fire makes
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

SOLAR30

Already signed up my daughter and I for Pittsburgh KS Oct 17-18 Appleseed and really looking forward to it. Really enjoyed my first! Instructors and instruction were great, and I'm not a beginning shooter. Been shooting since I was a kid and wasn't too bad, but now I know how much of a hack I was when I attended my Appleseed. There will be many more Appleseeds to come. I'm very pleased that my daughter got the chance to learn how to do it right... and someday pass it down to the grandkids.
Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest. -- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

Lomshek

Quote from: SOLAR30 on May 10, 2015, 10:29:00 PM
Already signed up my daughter and I for Pittsburgh KS Oct 17-18 Appleseed and really looking forward to it. Really enjoyed my first! Instructors and instruction were great, and I'm not a beginning shooter. Been shooting since I was a kid and wasn't too bad,
but now I know how much of a hack I was when I attended my Appleseed. There will be many more Appleseeds to come. I'm very pleased that my daughter got the chance to learn how to do it right... and someday pass it down to the grandkids.

Well that's a little harsh for a guy that was knocking at the door of 200!  You did fine and are rightfully proud of the incredible job fyrefly did. 

A little more work will have you putting them all in the five zone!