News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lewistown PA Instructor Only KD May 2, 2015

Started by StevenK, May 03, 2015, 02:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

KD Instructors Only Shoot May 2, 2015

The Good: Good event without any problems.  Three qualified KD out of 12. 

Basics:

Our goal in KD was to transmit as much information as possible about this topic so that the instructors present could take this material back to their Appleseed venues. 

Attendance:

The event filled with 16 prior to May 2; however, because of the Baltimore riots, several people were compelled to cancel due to work obligations. 12 Shooters participated.

Administration

StevenK organized and was Shoot Boss for the event. SgtRock instructed at the event and also coordinated KD construction of the range (see photos). 

PA State Coordinator Chainsaw attended and participated in the administration of the event. Navion PA assisted all day with the line (thank you).

Also - Many thanks to ShiguChan, Mostly Harmless and WhyWon for their early arrival to help lug steel and set target lines.

Start Time was 7:40 Am for sign up, 8:00 for start of opening comments, range orientation, and safety briefing from Shoot Boss. Instruction started at 8:18 (SgtRock).

SgtRock  O0 covered KD and related items in the  morning instruction and  during the shoot. 

The Shoot Boss had requested that all bring a sense of urgency and attention to the goal of this event- all shooters were readily motivated to this end, and all arrived with their gear issues already resolved and rifles zeroed.

Zero check was complete by 9:30; Sighters at 100-400yds completed by 11:50; Lunch was 11:55-12:30, and the first KDAQT began at 12:58. The Shoot Boss encouraged the shooters to move to pre-appointed trucks and get down range as soon as the line was cleared. The first trip downrange and back was 11 minutes - the Shoot Boss encouraged them  ~~:) to reduce downrange time; thereafter they reduced to 5 minutes return  from the 300 and 7 minutes from the 400. The shooters demonstrated a "can do" attitude. This was always conducted safely, but quickly. Everyone stayed focused, marked their data, cleaned their targets, and returned.  All shooters moved with a sense of purpose.

The shooters, with this bank of time available, were able to complete 4 KDAQT, one starting on the hour, each hour, until 4:00. There was time for a 5-7 minute break between AQTs. The 4:00 pm AQT was done by 4:20, and upon completion the line was closed and rifles packed by 4:25. 

Results?    First - Special recognition  :--- goes to Chesty puller, NJ Mike, and Southseanurse - these shooters kept getting perfect (10) scores on individual targets, but fell short of a total score. Second -  Vjornax, Roverace, NJ Mike, Southseanurse and Jersey Devil also scored 8-9 hits or better on multiple ranges  :~with all missing the qualifications by only a few points. 

Three shooters qualified  ^:)^ -  Congratulations are extended to KD qualified Redcoat Rival (86%) with the highest score this day. ShiguChan (82%), and Mostly Harmless (82%) were tied for second. 

SgtRock again did an outstanding job as an instructor for this event.  :bow:

Wherefore - we accomplished our goals. The organizers of this event will with God's grace hold an additional event in the fall of this coming year. Stay tuned.

TOMINCT

Looks like you had a great event. Kudos to those who made it happen.

Looking forward to a later date this year.

Tominct.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

bcurfman

What a great day!! Thanks to all who made it possible!!
Evil is made possible by the sanction you give it - Pamela Geller

"There are some who've forgotten why we have a military. It's not to promote war, it's to be prepared for peace." – Ronald Reagan

"A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass

bcurfman

Some more pics...

"There are some who've forgotten why we have a military. It's not to promote war, it's to be prepared for peace." – Ronald Reagan

"A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass

bcurfman

And some more...

bcurfman

Still more...

sgtrock

First I need to say a big Thank you for all the help setting the line up and taking it down. It's a truck load that I just can't leave home without. Your help was very much appreciated.

It is so nice to meet people in this program for the first time and feel like you have known them for 20 yrs. and to meet up with familiar faces and wish that we had more time to spend together.

What a beautiful day it was to be on the range, skies where great, temperature was perfect and smiling faces of riflemen on the line. The wind kicked up a little from time to time but was not consistent throughout the day but did have an affect when it did and people saw it on thier targets.

Shooting in the wind is great and should be done at every opportunity you can get, it's great training that needs to be learned and studied.

This shoot was mostly dominated by AR's, but there were a couple of .30's out here, and one just happened to become KD qualified with the highest score of the day, and of course it was an M1 mastered by Red Coat Rival, Awesome Job Sir. You have a beautiful rifle.

Our other KD Qualified Instructors had an AR and a Sig (can't remember the model number), however, they did a Great Job all weekend long, Mostly Harmless on the AR and ShiguChan on the Sig, Very nice shooting.

This range is one of the nicest 1000yd ranges I have ever been on, outside the military and my favorite place to come to even for its 5.5 hr drive, it is worth it when it can be done.
I would really love to see a 2 day or 3 day KD course here in the future if it can be accepted by the range. The range is rented to us for our KD events for one day, not sure how they would feel about multiple days of being shutdown for us, but I will bring it up to the club in the near future and ask.

I believe everyone had a good time. I hope to see you all at the next one.

Will add more later, still pretty tired and have an early wake up.

sgtrock

ChestyPuller

HI I want to thank Sgt Rock, Steve K and the rest of the crew for making this shoot happen. I had much fun shooting and running Big Red up and down the range to look at targets.  ^:)^ Lets do it again soon and I would love to attend a multiple day KD course.  :---
First shot hit under time pressure is the goal of every rifleman.

Jersey Devil

Great Event, I want to thank StevenK, SgtRock, Chainsaw and Navion Pa, for all your time, I learned so much and had a great time doing it. Hopefully you guys will do another KD event for us again.

Jersey Devil

The first picture is from the firing line, the second is from the 400yrd looking back.

Jersey Devil

Here is another picture for scale.
Big Red at the 400 and NJ Mikes ride at the 200 and a few Riflemen at the 100.

StevenK

Arrigetch

Looks like an awesome shoot!  It's good to see everyone had a great time -- it sure is fun to shoot KD!

navybowhunter

HUZZAH!  Congrats to all that qualified, especially ShiguChan and MostlyHarmless!

Everyone else, sounds like you are on the CUSP!  Next time.

That is a great facility, and I look forward to getting up there again soon.  I bought a membership (think its only $70) for the year.  Where else can you pay $70 for a year, and have access to a 1050 yard range!

R/
Chris