News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, Georgia LadySeed May 2

Started by DrJohn, May 03, 2015, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Conditions couldn't have been more beautiful at Georgia Mountain Shooting Assoc. in Toccoa, where Georgia hosted the state's first ever LadySeed event. All the attendees were first time Appleseed students, and all came with a most receptive attitude and very healthy interest. Although Stephanie, Teri, Barbara, Brandie, and Mary had shot handguns before, no one had any but a passing instruction in the art of the rifle. This was especially true of Mary's daughters Amy, Nina, Anna, and Mimi. Although some rifles were clearly oversized for the person using them, and although not all had used a sling before, or even had provisions for attaching a sling to their rifle, the largely women instructors devoted sufficient time in the beginning to adapt each student to her rifle as time and conditions would allow, before we went on with the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, concentrating on safety first, but then working diligently on the tripod of building a strong foundation (Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors), the integrated act of firing the shot (the Six Steps), and the proper way to align the sights on the target (Natural Point of Aim).

At lunch we were introduced to the story of the birth of our nation on April 19, 1775, the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Rambo Granny's husband Bruce rendered Strike One in period costume of a Revolutionary War rifleman. During the afternoon break, Lucky Lori related Strike Two, and at the end of the day, Fabricator's Gal treated us to Strike Three, and then the story of eighteen year old Elizabeth Zane, who saved Fort William Henry during a siege in 1782.

Although Mary and her family had to leave early to honor a prior commitment, we were able to study the Sitting Positions, Standing, and transitions to sitting and prone so that we could shoot an Army Qualification Target before the end of the day. This was a single day affair, but it is sincerely hoped that the attendees felt they had a quality experience and will return to future Appleseed events with others with whom they shared their experience. The two women instructors who came up from Florida to lend a hand were sufficiently impressed with the "flavor" of this dedicated Appleseed experience that they have decided to have a similar event in Florida later in the year. Many thanks to all the attendees, who made this a special experience for all of us.

"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

9mm4545

I got to attend this shoot in the capacity of man slave/fixer/fetcher. I was so impressed with the quality of both the instruction as well as the shooters. The improvement in marksmanship was nice to see and all too soon the day was over. I look forward to seeing some of these Georgia instructors coming down to Florida when we have our own Ladyseed. Here are some photos:http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/bruce_smith1/slideshow/Toccoa%20GA%20first%20Ladyseed Sorry about having to use a link but my computer has sabotaged my ability to post on the forum. Maybe this will work. If anyone else has pictures, let's see them!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Lucky Lori

What a wonderful time I had. As  an instructor  it was a pleasure to  be a part of a special event for the  ladies.   All the shooters did a wonderful  job  listening to everything that was being poured their way and everyone improved and learned a lot.  If only it  had been  a  2 day  weekend . . .   but  that just means all must come back to another appleseed and continue their training  and  adventure. Thank you Dr. John for setting up this event  and  ladies it was my pleasure to work with all  of you . Although it was  a long trip from home it was worth it, i hope the Georgia  females can join us in Sept. when we have our first Florida  ladyseed.  Dr. John  your grandfathered in and  invited also .  Come  see how we do it in Florida.  Thanks  Bruce  and Ken for all your help behind the scenes also.
Lucky  Lori