News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Our Friends in Indiana need our help!

Started by Laredo, April 30, 2015, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laredo

The Indiana Cadre needs your help.

Last year, the Indiana Cadre was asked to help with the Michigan City Rifle Club Youth Firearms Safety Camp (http://michigancityrifleclub.com/ ). We were allowed one day to teach 40 youth how to safely handle and shoot a rifle, and tell them the story of 19 April 1775. The Instructors who worked last year's event knocked it out of the park, and we were invited back again this year.

This year, however, we've been given two full days to present the Appleseed curriculum. This year they're also expecting to have 50 youth in attendance. That's a lot of young hearts and minds we can help to shape!

The first area where your help is needed is with your physical presence. Due to a variety of reasons, the Indiana Cadre is a mere shadow of its former self. We need your help with the instruction/coaching. The dates for this event are 23-24 June. If you can help by being physically present at the event, please sign up via TIPS. This event is listed as June 23, 2015 - LaPorte, IN - Appleseed - Private.

The second area where your help is needed is with loaner rifles. The event organizer identified that they only have 10 rifles (a mix of Ruger Americans and 10/22's). We've been asked to provide 40 rifles with slings! If you have a rifle or two (or more) that you're willing to let us use for this event, please send me a PM and we'll figure out how to transport them to the event. Just to be clear, we only need rifles chambered in .22LR.

For those who are able to be present to help with the instruction, there is camping available on-site. Also, lunch and snacks will be provided.

I will be the Shoot Boss for this event and am working on the COI. As we get closer to the event, a copy will be sent to all who are signed up to help. If you have any preferences as to what parts you'd like to instruct or any history that you'd like to present, let me know. Please keep in mind that we'll be working with youth entering the 5th - 12th grades. You might need to modify your standard instruction to be as succinct as possible. Likewise for the history. A 15 - 20 minute Strike is about all that their attention span will allow. We will work in the DOM, so if you have any youth related stories let's get them told at this event.

Always keep in mind that when working with youth it is best to use BIG crayons and SMALL words. Strangely, this also works well with adults.

There's so much more to discuss, but first things first. If you can help, please sign up via TIPS. If you have any rifles you'd be willing to let us use, let me know.

That's all for the moment.

tj
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

PHenry

How far is ID from Florida?  ^-^

Don't much cotton to airports, but will consider driving up if nobody closer will.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

hawkhavn

Trey, 

Laporte is on Lake Michigan, call it 17 hours. But it is closer than Idaho. ;)

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

SteelThunder

Bummer...Michigan City is only 40 minutes from my house.  But on June 23rd, I'll be with my family in Amsterdam on vacation.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

PHenry

Hawk,
There was a time when 17 hours would have been a single trip, but them days is over for me - would need to do it in two trips now.  **)

QuoteI'll be with my family in Amsterdam on vacation.

I must be missing something here. Cain't line "Bummer" up with a trip like that.  ^-^ You have fun and travel safely sir - we'll find a way.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Engineer shooting

Quote from: PHenry on April 30, 2015, 06:13:02 PM

There was a time when 17 hours would have been a single trip, but them days is over for me - would need to do it in two trips now.  **)

Need a second driver?
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

colycat

That would be super great.  I miss seeing my friend PH.

Quote from: Engineer shooting on April 30, 2015, 08:48:08 PM
Quote from: PHenry on April 30, 2015, 06:13:02 PM

Need a second driver?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

PHenry

Me and ES in same FORD for hours on the highway - that would never happen. Oh wait, it already has and nothing bad happened.

June 23/24 is a Tuesday / Wednesday - yes?

TJ Kackowski

Quote from: PHenry on May 01, 2015, 10:30:48 AM
Me and ES in same FORD for hours on the highway - that would never happen. Oh wait, it already has and nothing bad happened.

June 23/24 is a Tuesday / Wednesday - yes?
Yes.  We've been asked to present the AS material to 50 youth on Tuesday / Wednesday of their week long firearm safety camp.

PHenry

Tues / Wed - 10/4. That makes it tougher for a dumb working man like myself, but if nobody closer can do it, I have three loaners and Es has some - might be able to scrounge more from others with no events that weekend. Oh Lord, more rifles to clean that I didn't git to shoot!  ~~:)

So, anybody less than 17 hours away up for this or am I it.

malabar

Quote from: PHenry on May 01, 2015, 07:37:14 PM
Tues / Wed - 10/4. That makes it tougher for a dumb working man like myself, but if nobody closer can do it, I have three loaners and Es has some - might be able to scrounge more from others with no events that weekend. Oh Lord, more rifles to clean that I didn't git to shoot!  ~~:)

So, anybody less than 17 hours away up for this or am I it.

Got room in that truck?  I'll meet you on your side of the state and bring five loaner rifles. That would make three of us.....

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

colycat

Im a little of 4 hrs away and have already signed up.  But don't tell PH about it. :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Morpheus

If you FL fellers would like to stop in N GA, I have six 10/22s and I might be able to tag along.  O0
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

2 clicks low

Been signed up for a while, but I'm like 45 minutes away.

Am willing to collect, transport and return loaners in NE Illinois and SE Wisconsin.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

TJ Kackowski

This is an awesome start.  The Tuesday-Wednesday timing of the event is certainly a challenge.

However, the PM sent out less than a week ago to the Indiana Cadre has produced (1) Instructor who won't be able to officially sign up until closer to the event, and (17) rifles.

Many thanks to those from outside of Indiana who've already signed up (+2 Instructors and + 3 rifles).

If those considering traveling in to help from further south are able to work through the logistics, we're looking at another +4 Instructors and +14 rifles.

A good start indeed.

That's all for the moment.

tj

Taylor

Quote from: colycat on May 01, 2015, 10:22:55 PM
Im a little of 4 hrs away and have already signed up.  But don't tell PH about it. :)

PM coming your way coly.  @@)
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Taylor

I'll be there with 5 or 6 loaners.  O0
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

colycat

Rifles:

me-3
Taylor-5
Dr Rich-14

What about ammo?

TJ Kackowski

Ammo is being provided by the event organizers.  They've allocated 200 rounds per youth, and I've asked them to bump it to 300 just to be safe.