News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Glen Helen, CA 4/25 4/26

Started by rrhartley, April 27, 2015, 11:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhartley

The saying goes "April showers brings May Flowers"

The morning started out cloudy and cool but a great start for Glen Helen. We have almost a full line and eager participants taking care of signing in. Introductions and safety and information about Appleseed and it is time to bring rifles to the line. McCall, an Orange Hat, asked if he could help with the Instruction and I was ecstatic to have another to help. The first Redcoat was truly respectable with 1-400, 2-300, 1-200, 7-100 and 4 Head Shots. That being said, the first squares had some nice groups, but there were two that did not hit paper so we pasted a big white sheet to find the groups. One rifle had the wrong front site and could not be adjusted to get on target so we changed out the front site and that did the trick. The second rifle had elevation adjustments at the front and rear sites so we could get it close. After the teaching and all the site adjustments made we started mag drills and transitions. And we also timed one to give them an idea how fast 55 seconds goes by. It is time to break for lunch and the rains came a tumbling down. Being at Glen Hellen we have lots of cover so we all move under the cover to finish lunch and the three strikes. Two of our shooters didn't want anything to do with the rain and packed up and left. Lunch over and a look down the line revels soaked targets but not a big problem until the winds start to blow and the cardboard backers start to tear off. After some repairs and many more staples we get back to shooting. The first AQT brought a huge smile to Brian's face because he posted a fantastic score of 228. Tired and cold, we shot the ending Redcoat, with all posting a score and three head shots. All in all we had a great day.
   I returned early Sunday morning not knowing what I would find at the range. Oh, It's not so bad, the backers are all still up with only a few cardboards missing. I take the extra cardboard, a box of staples, a stapler, and a box cutter that I have in the Conex and head down range to do the task at hand replacing the missing and rain soaked cardboard. I think I will find some plastic cardboard before the next shoot. With almost all returning from the day before we review the safety and review some of the events from the day before and bring the rifles to the line. The first Redcoat revealed yesterday's lessons were still running through their heads and all was not lost. The results were great, 4-400, 2-300, 2-200, and 4-100, with 2 Head shots. We continue with review from yesterday with the students doing the demos on the mat. We have a few that need to make some adjustments to their sights and others working on that illusive NPOA. Looks like we are ready so it is AQT Grind time. Nice job Elliot, a respectable 225 on the first AQT. Others are posting scores in the high 100s but I find it very difficult to get the shooters to slow down on the final stage and check NPOA several times. Two minutes past and they are all done. The final Redcoat had more 300 than 400 but still a good showing. We ended the weekend with two riflemen and a lot of improved shooters and a better knowledge of the events of April 19th 1775. Thanks to all for coming out and making my weekend.
In the spirt of heritage,

Rick (rrhartley on the forum)