News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Spencer/Owen County Indiana Homeschool Shoot 30MAR-27APR

Started by brianheeter, April 27, 2015, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianheeter

Twelve young men and women spent 2 hour sessions on 5 consecutive Mondays learning about their shared heritage and improving their rifle marksmanship.  Some were experienced shooters while others were very new to the wonderful world of firearms.  Safety was always our top priority as we set out to firmly set the foundation of good rifle marksmanship.

The first 3 sessions were spent working from the prone position in order to take advantage of the stability that position offers while we spent time drilling the Six Steps to Firing the Shoot, finding, trusting and adjusting the Natural Point of Aim (NPOA) and shooting in Rifleman's Cadence.

Parents were recruited to help their shooters when it came time to do Inches, Minutes, Clicks (IMC) and I saw some lights going on as sight adjustments were made. (both parents and shooters!)

The 4th session saw the introduction of the standing and seated positions and ATM!  The shooters were treated to various spirited renditions of Safe Rifle and learned the secrets of the two cheek sneak.

On the final session the shooters were introduced to the AQT and shot the first 3 stages without the time constraints.  Then it was on  to a discussion of various different firearms, what they look like and what to do if you found one *anywhere* in an unsafe condition.  We closed things out with some fun shooting to see what effects a .22LR and .223 had on a milk jug filled with water and the punishment of some steel at 70 yards.  It was clear from the amount of paint missing from the target that everybody had improved a great deal.

Many thanks to Jeff and Lindsay for their generosity in allowing us onto their land.  I had never met Jeff before and he agreed to let us use their land with no hesitation.

And thanks to the parents of the shooters.  I said it before we started and I'll say it again now:  I am humbled by your trust to keep your children safe and I thank you for the opportunity to pass on the history of the start of this great nation.

Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

And since  :pics:  Here are a couple.  (Regrettably 3 of our shooters and not all of the Instructors who took part were able to stick around for the pictures)

(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!