News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Watervliet MI May 2-3, 2015

Started by SteelThunder, April 25, 2015, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Meh...you know.  Just another typical Appleseed in Michigan.  Brilliant skies, warm weather, 23 fantastic Americans, 9 centerfires on the line, 2 new Riflemen, 1 repeat Rifleman, 1 new Blue Hat, 3 new Orange Hats.  You know, typical..

Wait, you say...Michigan had warm weather?

That and more.  Great weekend, great students, fantastic camaraderie, improving shooting all around.  We loved having so many great groups on the line - whole families, friends of friends, groups of buddies.  And the centerfires...did I tell you we made some noise?  If you've forgotten what that sounds like, here's a segment from an AQT Stage 2...

https://youtu.be/EsKbKJFple4

Welcome to our new Blue Hat Hannah...you better get pick a name quick before we pick it for you!  Also welcome to our 3 new instructors who have stepped up to join our Instructor Cadre...Beeker, tigger and merlin33!  merlin33 just took a Blue Hat on Saturday, turned around and shot 210 and we promptly slapped an Orange Hat on him.

Good time and good fellowship with you all.  Tired Shoot Boss has only a few pictures...please post more!

:pics:

Working on NPOA with laser dummy rifles

Reaching out at the KD range

Instructor Cadre (missing Beeker)

Velociraptor of History

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

Saturday is in the books!  It was a great day--wonderful people, gorgeous weather.  And a 4.2 earthquake 45 miles away!  Did we notice?  Absolutely not!  With 23 shooters including 7 centerfire pounding away, we were a little worried we might have been mistaken for an earthquake!

Everyone showed a lot of improvement and we had 2 Rifleman scores today--congratulations to Tigger (first time!) and to beeker (repeat!).  ^:)^. Plus merlin33 took a blue hat!   O0

Everyone had a great time.  Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Merlin33

Thanks everyone for another fantastic weekend! I'm glad to have scored a 210 and proud to wear the orange hat. TO INSTRUCTORS: "I will do what i can" Ready to to be whipped into shape!   ~~:)  :bow:
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true...  ~USMC Rifle Creed

"Happiness is a warm gun..."   ~The Beatles

Graywolf

What a great weekend we had!  The shooters were some of the finest I've ever worked with.  Everyone made progress and it was a joy to see the scores on the AQTs improve like they did.  Congrats to Merlin33 and to Tigger for scoring first time rifleman and to Beeker for requlaifying.  I am especially glad to see them all step up and take and orange hat.  We need more fine instructors like you guys.

We had a lot of people scoring very close to 210.  Keep it up!  A rifleman persists.  You will get there.

We heard a lot about the earthquake this weekend here in Michigan.  With all the centerfires on the line, I think we may have caused it.   %)  Actually it was good to see and hear the big guns.  It added to the weekend immensely.

I hope to see all the shooters back on the line again some time.  It was a joy working with you all.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

beeker

I had a great time this weekend as I always do , I got to see old friends and make new ones . I am very proud that I was asked to be an orange hat . thank you all for your efforts this weekend . thanks Tom and Denise for all the snacks and letting me and the polish plunger stay at your house , I look forward to the next time we all get together. Tom did you ever hit the steel with the Schmidt k31? by far one of the coolest guns I've shot in a while. hope you all stay safe and have fun.   

Tigger

Hi Appleseeders...
What do (in no particular order) a tick, a patch, a sticker, two redcoats, some raw elbows, some friends, about a ton of brass, and a sunburn all have in common?
If you guessed "things I got this last weekend at Appleseed" you'd be right.
I got not a single picture though, so everyone send more pics as time permits. Sorry!  :-[
It was all a blast, and I was glad to have made it out.
Thanks to Steel, Oz, and Grey Wolf for running the shoot and to Zazzles, Nehemiah, Snipette, Rascal and Loops for making it run smoothly!
Thanks to Waterviliet for hosting us and for letting us hang up some steel on the KD range. That's a real blast at some longer ranges.
I'm glad I earned the patch, and what do you after getting to the top of a mountain? Find another higher mountain to climb.  So I'm planning to beat 210 with my AR (205 is so close but no cigar, and I need to get comfier in stage 2 with it) then come back and do it with irons.
I'm honored and humbled to be offered the orange hat, and hope to be worthy.
I'll see you all next time and hope to talk to you before then. Tigger
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

ruger rat

Was this the perfect weekend for Appleseed or what?  I am thankful for those that volunteered their "double pay" weekend to help us grow not only as Americans, but in our marksmanship skills as well.  THANK YOU!!!!!

It seemed like every time Steel turned around, he was handing out another hat. It is so cool to see so many people want to be involved in such a great organization.  Congratulations to all of you new hats!

I am so proud of our little group that attended - many first time Appleseeders. I think I had more fun watching their excitement than actually shooting - and I love shooting!  I will post my limited photos a little later.  Sorry, they are pretty much limited to our group.  I guess everything was so fast paced that I didn't really think about taking many pictures. 

Kudos to whoever thought up and organized the relay method for the weekend.  There was a lot of work that went into that & it did not go unnoticed. I thought it worked very well for having so many shooters.

A special thank you to Robert, Kim, Brandon and John (PP) for making the trip from the Chicago area.  It was so good to meet you and to see your excitement.  Spencer, Daniel, Hannah and Andrew  - wow!  You did great!  I am so proud of you all.

By the way, Nehemiah has an idea for Hannah's name.  She could disguise herself on the forum by spelling her name backwards.   #)  She is so tickled to be a blue hat, and I am glad she has such good role models to work with!

Looking forward to seeing you all again in September!

ruger rat

Atta boy, Beek!

EEEE

So that's what the KD range looks like without 2 feet of snow covering it!

Wish I could have been there, the weather was beautiful.

snoopy556

Hi guys :) I finally chose a name and obviously I'm signed up on the forum too. Thanks for excepting me as a blue hat  ^:)^ and thanks for the awesome weekend. I had so much fun  :~. Trying to pick a name was really hard  :wb: so i just finally chose snoopy556, sorry for not picking any of the other names that you guys came up with on Sunday, but I really liked snoopy. Can't wait for the next Appleseed.

-snoopy556 (aka Hannah)

Oz

I think snoopy is the perfect name for you.  It was great to see you again and I'm glad you'll be helping out!

More to say and pics to post but have to keep doing work things--I'll be back here in a few days! 
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Rascal21

Sorry it's taken me most of the week to get this done.

All of the pictures I took on Sunday are located here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.690609494382556.1073741871.240556109387899&type=3&uploaded=20

Here are a few of them

Had a great time with all of you! Hope to see you all again soon.

Rascal

Oz

A few more...

beeker accepting his orange hat

Tigger scores Rifleman!

Youth shooters--note the soon-to-be-rare photo of snoopy556 without an RWVA hat! 

OK, so at 101 meters, how many inches in 1 MOA?  And at 102 meters?   ;D

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ruger rat

Here's my pics. 

snoopy556

Those pictures are awesome  ^:)^  except for the fact that I had my eyes closed in them all  :'( I can never keep my eyes open for photos !@#)