News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colebrook Ct. @ NWCSA, April 18-19, 2015

Started by TOMINCT, April 21, 2015, 11:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

Great weather, attentive students and a motivated instructor staff made this past weekend a huge success. Several new shooters made the plunge along with some return trying hard rifleman. This was an outstanding event!

Saturday's teaching of fundamentals, along with the telling of the three strikes, took us through the day. Some of the usual minor equipment problems turned up. Adjustments were made and most of the shooters were running and gaining confidence to see notable improvement. After the intro to field positions and a late afternoon AQT our first Rifleman, Brian, requalified with a score of 222. Nice job Brian!

Sunday started well and after the am redcoat and a tune up on squares we started running AQT's interspersed with events as they happened 240 years ago. About every hour updates from the actual scene of action were told and questions were advanced to those in attendance.  This ran until mid afternoon when a break was taken for a lesson on known distance. We fired the KD stage at 100 yards and returned to the 25M line to prepare for the Memorial volley.

I believe the pre volley discussion about our forebear's choices and performance began to hit home with many of those in attendance. The aftermath of the battle, the race to get the word out first and win the hearts and minds of people hundreds and even thousands of miles away and a later discussion and handout of the BBB sheet made this all start to come together for many. One shooter told me they had ordered a copy of Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride the night before.

Back to shooting. THREE shiny new rifleman to round out the weekend. First Dave M., with a score of 214. Dave had a steady gain in his scores and pulled it together nicely. Dave P. also made the grade with a 214. Steve ran into the ammo gremlins, trying their best and they almost did skewer his attempts at the RM designation. Some rifle maintenance along with some different ammo and a pep talk from CTShooter got him back into the game and he ended with a score of 216. Many others had marked increases in their scores from the day before.

Our repeat RM Brian also made RM with his CF rifle on Sunday. HUZZAH!

We had a large number of new shooters this weekend and gains were made across the board. Some had new and virtually unfired rifles to add to the mix. It took some time Saturday to sort most of this out but by Sunday some great gains were accomplished. Jen, a new shooter with a new, iron sighted bolt rifle not only improved but almost cleaned the Sunday pm redcoat, dropping a couple shots at the 300.

Several junior shooters also took the instruction well and although none made RM they did account for several well drilled RC targets. Nadia, Brynn, Sophie and Ian, you were all great to work with!

A big Thank You to NWCSA for the use of the facility. The club has been a strong proponent of Appleseed and we look forward to an event there in December.

The instructor crew did it's level best, a big thanks to them. Hucktuey, freedomwon and CTShooter worked well along with our out of town crew from Georgia. Red Niva and Gretchen traveled with Morpheus and Cipher to lend a hand in Ct. when things appeared rather bleak. Couldn't have done it without you, we are much obliged.

And last but not least, Ct has a new orange hat! Brian, our repeat RM has stepped up and we look forward to his help and experience.

All told this was a very rewarding Appleseed. They all are, but this one a little more so.

A rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Josey Wales

Tom thanks for holding down the fort in New England you are a true Patriot that keeps on giving!!
..JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

VietVet

Very nice work. Congrats and thanks to the CT Crew for a job well done. O0

Congrats to those who scored Rifleman.  :bow:

Thanks to all involved. CT seems to be gaining some Appleseed speed.

TOMINCT........you da Man!  ^:)^
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

TOMINCT

I'm not the man, for sure!

The Ct Appleseed crew and out of state IT crew did the deed.

The shooters went the distance with nary a complaint.

The weather was your non typical April 19th weather.

With conditions such as this how can it be anything other than a success?

Now, I believe some folks took a few pics.......
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Sandi

I want to thank everyone for all the fun I had  in Colebrook!!! We had so much fun learning about the history of the Americian Revolutionary War. You peaked my interest so much I purchased the book Paul Revere's Ride!!! I was so happy that I was able to shoot. Thank you so much for the loaners!!! I was discourage in the beginning when I realized I wasn't able to shoot from all the different postions, but all of you made it possible when your brought out the bench. I clearly had and advantage over everyone else, but yet you always encourage and instructed me. Learning about breathing and trigger control improved my accuracy 100%. Thank you for all the time you put into this event !!!! Sandi Wilcox