News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

National Rifle Association Whittington Center. Raton New Mexico April 19th, 2015

Started by TaosGlock, April 21, 2015, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

6 shooters showed up and braved the rain, sleet, snow and high winds in the area. We lucked out with warm spells overall. Some shooters from Colorado could not make it down due to storms up there.
We were lucky to have the Coors Range building where we could escape the high wind and early AM flurries.
A great instructor crew and a very determined group of shooters who braved the elements.
This turned out to be a fantastic shoot to honor the founding of our Nation on April 19th, 1775.

Far removed from the usual type ranges in gravel pits or a carved out swath in the Corn Belt or GMO beanfields  of the east/midwest, the NRAWC is has wild and natural and undisturbed terrain for the Rifleman. It is located along the historic Santa Fe Trail with 33,000 acres!

BlueFeather opens the gate as the snow and hi winds start to roll in.

A light dusting was all we got but the winds howled to over 40 MPH at times.

We wait for the shooters to show up on Sunday AM inside the Coors Building.

The shooters on the line!

More later....

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

BlueFeather and Jones teach the prone position.

Standing position:

This is how you work the bolt release:

A cold day on the line: "Fire! For God's sake fire! Fire as fas as you can!"

Shooters do reviews inside away from the howling winds and snow flurries:

BlueFeather goes over the AQT:

An Antelope shed with new snow and spring flowers found near the firing line.

More later...
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

It was 240 years ago today we birthed a new Nation on the principles of effective marksmanship.
Where marksmanship met history and liberty was born.
Past meets present; Battle Road map with an M1 Garand and a M1A.

The Patriot's Day Memorial Volley. 13 names of those who died on April 19, 1775 were read one at a time, the command fire was given and the shooters fired one round each, 13 separate times.
We split this event up into 2 groups of 3. The 22's (10/22's) vs. the 30 caliber (PTR91, bolt 308 and a 300 Blackout) guys.

Note we are not shooting on mats for the memorial volley.

The targets were shot at 100 yards and had a black target for an aiming point.

The groups were amazingly the same spread of 14 1/4"!

TaosGlock

Congrats to Jason and Steve for scoring "Expert" on the AQT!
After 2 days of high wind rain and snow flurries! Huzzah!

TaosGlock

It's KD time! That means known distance. And at the NRAWC this means long range on steel targets. :~
Targets are set at 300 yards or what we call battle sight zero range. 575 yards, 710 yards, 800 yards and finally at 925 yards.
Only at the NRA Whittington Center can you shoot in all natural rugged wild terrain with challenging conditions.
It is a true paradise for a Rifleman.

What a glorious day in America! At the NRA Whittington Center!

Before the shooters arrive on Saturday, BlueFeather puts the finishing touches on her 575 yard "wire monster" target Friday evening.
A NRAWC favorite for our KD portions and separate KD events. Made from RR tie plates/bailing wire and a challenge to shoot!

The 710 yard "trap target" gets a final brush up on Friday evening before the shooters arrive.

Looking back from to the Coors Range from the 925 yard target. The other KD targets are below this area.

The 330 yard line" BSZ targets". All the aforementioned targets are visible in this pic.

The varied terrain of the NRA WC is perfect for the Rifleman.

Rifles were Mosin Nagant, PTR91, Enfield 303, M1 Garand, 308 scoped bolt gun and a 300 Blackout AR.

Shooters get to try my M1Garand at the 575 yard target.
It usually seals the deal on getting one for themselves from the CMP. Another advantage of coming to an Appleseed!
Hey that rhymes. %)

TaosGlock

Lodging at the NRAWC is nicely finished, affordable and well adorned with the gracious donations of many of the members.

The museum has many fine examples of firearms from colonial times to modern times.

The entrance to the gift shop has literature from both manufacturers and the various shooting schools that use the NRAWC.
It also has various historical firearms and interesting areas to check out.

TaosGlock

Those shooters who stick around Sunday evening, Monday morning or weather permitting will find us at the 1000M range.
Bring your own centerfire rifle of course and a notebook to record data.
Or borrow one of mine. :~
Sorry, but no magnums or mouse guns permitted per NRAWC rules. :cool2:

This is where the White Buffalo at 1000m and the 500M Rams roam.
'Ram Killer' my Ted Brown Shooters Den built LRB M1A really nails the Rams. With NATO ammo to boot in a SAK barrel of course.
Trigger by Elmer Ballance and stocked in a Fred's Big Red Birch stock!

Oh lookie, the Big Dipper on a "fixed" Ram ::)

The top of the back to the belly is 12" so you can do the math and get a general idea of the MOA of this tremendously accurate and powerful rifle.
Those who show up will be greatly rewarded by hits with this rifle or my Garand after 2 days at an Appleseed. O0 ^-^
Yeah, I pulled one.... :))

TaosGlock

Alas, this event was much too short.  :'(

Homeland security is a Nation of Riflemen!

A big thanks to the shooters who came out to shoot this special 240 year special April 19, 1775 Event! You guys are a cut above the rest of your fellow Americans!

A big thanks to our ALL VOLUNTEER Instructor crew: Jones and my wonderful wife of 26 years, BlueFeather.
You guys are all a testimony to our instructor staff!

A hearty thanks to the NRA Whittington Center staff for allowing us to use this range for this field expedient riflery course.
The Coors Range is private to the public BTW.

A big thanks to our Founders who birthed this country on the principles of effective marksmanship!
Huzzah!

The sun sets on another fantastic Appleseed!
Below is the statue of Charleston Heston atop a horse.