News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX April 18-19, 2015 - Patriots Day

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, April 20, 2015, 09:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

At last - our number of shooters was more than any number I recall since 2012!

We had 30 plus shooters on Saturday, 3 instructors and two IITs. Most shooters returned on Sunday. I counted 22 still present at the time of the Nationwide Volley.

Oh, FOUR Riflemen were forged.  :--- ..:..

Alas I left my paperwork at sleepy Joe's last night. I'll post more when I get it in my hands.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

TT92

Good shoot!

Very pleasing to see the number of folks come out, and especially the youth.  The Shoot Boss and his team did a great job!

Here are some pics I took:

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!

sleepy Joe

By the numbers

scuzzy

Cool - I like standing in mud myself - it's good for the soul.  LOL.

Man - nice line too.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

tehlump

I attended this appleseed along with my son and my nephew. We had a great (muddy) time, so muddy that I was concerned they wouldn't enjoy it. I shouldn't have worried, they both have talked continuously about it. It's looking like I'll have 2/3 more nephews with me on the next event! None of us qualified as riflemen, but we've been practicing. My son and I shot 300 rounds this evening at redcoat targets I printed. I was tickled he remembered all the line commands so he served as the shoot boss for us, hollering with gusto 'SHOOTERS, WITH 13 ROUNDS PREPARED...LOAD!'

I wanted to comment specifically on the instructors...I know you guys volunteer for this. Thank you so much for what you do, you made some first timers feel comfortable and really gave us a lot to practice, we'll get better! I know how difficult the patch will be to earn now, and it's gnawing at my brain to get better and earn my own!

tehlump

should have attached the picture I took of my son and nephew...man it was muddy!

sleepy Joe

By the numbers

tehlump

Quote from: sleepy Joe on April 24, 2015, 02:26:31 PM
i can't see the attached photo

dangit! I swear it was there. I'll try again.

goose

Heh!  Awesome.  Never, ever, underestimate the power of getting in the dirt to bring out the  best in all of us.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

gewehr

I want to give my sincerest thanks to all you who made this event run so smoothly. I hadn't been to an AS in about 6 years but I enjoyed this one as much as the first. I can tell anyone that the experience has not lost anything in that time frame, although the shoot boss got quite a bit hairier! ;)  I brought a friend and 2 of his children and they now have the bug. They want to come back and try for their Rifleman patches again.

Good job folks,
Gewehr

Quote from: gewehr on May 01, 2015, 08:09:21 PM
I want to give my sincerest thanks to all you who made this event run so smoothly. I hadn't been to an AS in about 6 years but I enjoyed this one as much as the first. I can tell anyone that the experience has not lost anything in that time frame, although the shoot boss got quite a bit hairier! ;)  I brought a friend and 2 of his children and they now have the bug. They want to come back and try for their Rifleman patches again.

Good job folks,
Gewehr

Thank YOU gewehr - especially for bringing people with you to the shoot!

Same goes for you tehlump!
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday:

It had been raining the week prior, but Saturday began as a sunny day. 29 shooters participated.

I was Shoot Boss with sleepy Joe and Baminal instructing and our fine IITs Ghostring and Tank5 along as well.

Muddy conditions made the parking at the range "interesting". Many shooters had to park far from where the equipment line was out of concern of getting vehicles stuck. They had to walk their gear down to the line.

Tank5 making sure everyone is paying attention:

Range dog. I had never dealt with a free ranging range dog at a shoot before. When I asked range personnel about him they said he is quite close to deaf and doesn't have good eyesight. His nose works well. I had to keep an eye on him when he wandered over. No collar to grab meant I was prepared to grab his whole body or call cease fire if I had to. A little distracting (for me) but he didn't cause any issues.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Strikes

Preparing for the NPOA drill.

Final Redcoat

Shooter Tom (TT92) obtained a Rifleman score on the only AQT we shot on Saturday! Huzzah!
Nice looking groups on that AQT - wish my first Rifleman score had looked that good.

What a great way to end the day!

Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday:

None of the mobile devices at our disposal Saturday afternoon indicated any rain forecast overnight - lol - so we chose to leave the cardboard backers up as well as two or three canopies up when we left Saturday.

Woohoo! 2 inches of rain and lots of wind overnight to add to the muddy fun! So much for the forecast. At least the sun was out Sunday morning. What a fine April 19th.

We arrived at the range Sunday to a scene from the movie TWISTER. At least one canopy was DOA. Fortunately the cardboard backers were intact enough for our shooters to continue making use of them. We didn't plan on the added "engineering" on Sunday but made it happen. As soon as the area was prepared our 29 shooters began their Patriots Day Sunday activity.

Ready to get to AQTs...

About 2:00pm  some clouds starting rolling in. At this point a couple of shooters chose to roll out.

During the Nationwide Redcoat Volley at 3:00pm I counted 22 Redcoat targets posted - so at least that many shooters were still present.

After that drill it seems a number of our shooters wished to depart from us. Since there was not a sufficient number of minions present to disable their vehicles in a timely and unnoticable manner (JUST KIDDING) we let them go and bid them farewell.  At least they got off the couch and layed in the mud - right?

The remaining 20 or so shooters kept working on AQT drills. Their persistence paid off.

Shooter Jason was the next to make Rifleman - and the first to make it on Patriots Day!

Not to be outdone Shooter Dan (gewehr) made Rifleman! Huzzah!

Shooter Gil made rifleman on the very last AQT - style points bro for getting it done on the last drill!

I'd almost called the event after Stage 2 of that particular AQT due to rain - but I made a judgement call and let the shooters finish that one last drill

We had light rain at that point and still had work to do after cleaning up the range. We ended up picking up our muddy stuff in the rain and headed home.

After the event TT92 and I spent time talking near the classroom. He has agreed to help bailing - now he is registered as an Instructor In Training! Thank you and congrats!

The time we spent talking let the clouds clear out - just in time for a parting photo of our favorite sign on the range property.

Ladyseed Man Slave

sleepy Joe

By the numbers