News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Macon, GA 18-19 April 2015

Started by brianf31, April 20, 2015, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA hosted a great Appleseed event on this historic weekend. The event was sold out thanks to the promotions team. Even with the threat of bad weather for the weekend, we had 28 shooters on Saturday.

On a foggy and misty morning, we started right off with the safety briefing and shooting a redcoat target. After a period of rifle set-up, we went right into teaching Steady Hold Factors and sling use, Natural Point of Aim, Six Steps of the Shot and Rifleman's Cadence - shooting squares after each lesson to put the learning into practice. Students were quickly awarded with shrinking shot groups.  It was quite common to see 6 or more targets with 3-4 shots "in the black" on the squares targets. Impressive!

The weather cleared up into a beautiful and sunny day and the event only improved. The shooters heard detailed history of the Three Strikes spaced throughout the day. Additional instruction was held on Talking Targets and Inches Minutes Clicks. As the day progressed, students learned the particulars of shooting from the sitting and standing positions with drills to drive the lessons home. We finished the day with an AQT. Shooters performed well, with many knocking on the door to an expert score.

We were privileged to have 10 youth on the line. During the ceremony at the end of the day, they were awarded the Young Patriots patch as proud parents and troop leaders looked on. Huzzah!
We had one rifleman forged on Saturday. Karen, a returning Appleseeder, proved that a rifleman persists by shooting a 212! She stepped up and volunteered to be an instructor by taking an orange hat.Way to go!

The weather forecast for Sunday was downright awful, but 17 intrepid shooters returned for more, sore backs and necks be darned.  After a final sighter period, all got a chance to shoot two more AQTs before inclement weather rolled in. Danny was knocking on the door to a requal with a score of 209 and Ken shot a very impressive 199. Many more shot in the 170s and above.

Unfortunately, we had to end the day around noon due to severe thunderstorms and a tornado watch in effect. Thanks to the help of all the shooters, we cleaned the range in record time and got out of their before the weather hit. The entire instructor cadre was impressed with a great group of shooters. They were attentive, willing to learn and eager to apply skills. Thank you for your teachable attitudes and for the honor of instructing you.

It was good to have Dale back on the line. He brought Victoria, who gave him a run for his money all day. You are both excellent shooters.

We were fortunate to have Russ return, and his shooting showed that he knows what he is about. He brought his buddy Trevor who did very well. Trevor, bring your British wife next time and we'll use the term "Redcoats" instead!

Bob and Donna, your perseverance was inspiring. It was great to have you on the line and I hope the experience was rewarding.

Pippa, Ari and Daniel are club members and repeat students that showed this wasn't their first rodeo. You are certainly on the road to getting that coveted rifleman's patch. Continue to practice perfectly and it will be yours.

Nathan, I'm glad you got to attend your first Appleseed. Keep running those squares drills and your groups will surely shrink.

It was good to have Jack and Ryan return. You were all great students with impressive skill.

Matt and Christina, it was rewarding to instruct you and we hope your first Appleseed won't be your last.

Jamie and Connor proved to be an effective father-son team. It was evident that dad spent some time with Connor. You worked that bolt action like a pro and your trigger squeeze looked great!

Thanks to the troop leaders who brought out 7 Boy Scouts. Brandon, William, Michael, Derek, Matthew, Devin and Joe were all good students with great teachable attitudes. We'd love to have you back again!

Free and McKinley, it's always great to shoot with you. Thanks for your dedication to the cause.

If anyone has additional photos, please post them.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

DrJohn

ThiS was truly an epic event...wonderful students, great turnout, happy smiles and shrinking groups throughout the weekend, and some of the most enthusiastic and helpful attitudes ever. It was an honor and pleasure to work with all of you. You are the finest and best people ever, and some of the very toughest mentally. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Guardian

^:)^CONGRATS KAREN!!!!!!!! Thanks for picking up a bucket! ^:)^

freedomzxcv

Great event. Congratulations to Karen, who deserves a pet pig for her efforts.

I only took 1 picture at the shoot. It's Daniel, Conner, and McKinley getting their patches. I think McKinley and Daniel are accumulating quite the collection.

The other picture is a bit of bragging, my first cleaned redcoat.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

brianf31

Nice job Free!

Here are the Boy Scouts receiving their patches.

"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Roswell

Congratulations Karen!!!

And it is great to see so many future shoot bosses!  ;D
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Red Dawn

This was the first Appleseed for me and my son but bet it will not be the last. Thanks to Free for notifying me of the event. Congrats to Karen excellent job. Most of all thank you to the volunteers for running a top notch program. This was an experience that we will never forget. Thanks for the knowledge and the memories. We are looking forward to the next one. I did get a pic of Brian presenting Connor with his patch.

Till next time,
Jamie and Connor
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."  --