News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, Alaska 18 - 19 April, 2015

Started by fisherdawg, April 20, 2015, 01:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

18 and 19 April 2015... Birchwood, Alaska ..a Project Appleseed shoot and some history stories. New RWVA Riflemen in pic with Riflemen Cal, Tony, Mat & Mark  on left, Shoot Boss fisherdawg in green hat on Saturday.  Medicus earned his Redhat (Full Instructor) as did '509GMan'.  Julia W., enthusiastic 11 year young lady, also became a Rifleman on Sunday with a score of 221!

The men in picture earned the Rifleman patch by shooting over 210 on the Appleseed  course of fire (qualification test.. ie "AQT" ) equivalent to the WWII Army Expert standard.

All 22 students experienced quality fundamental rifle marksmanship instruction, and shot over 400 rounds in instruction over 2 days. Most shot using Ruger 10/22s.

Students also heard the events of what happened on 19 April, 1775 near Boston.

Today was the 240th  anniversary of the first engagements for Liberty in the American Revolutionary War.... first a massacre at the Lexington Green, then a skirmish at the Concord North Bridge, followed by effective small unit ambushes, engagements on Battle Road.

American patriots fought and shot moving columns of British on 'Battle Road' as the British retreated back to Boston, having failed to raid and seize the Patriots arms and gunpowder in Concord. Over 4000 patriots came to the alarms to defend liberty on 19 April... Paul Revere was one of the alarm riders on night of 18 April.

We fired a volley at noon, joining other Appleseeder's nationwide who simultaneously fired 13 shots for the fallen on the Lexington Green. I fired a black powder rifle, .54 cal, one round, hit my 'redcoat' target.

Today we shot AQTs  again, learned and taught more skills, were joined by one young biathlete instructor-in-training, and one 11 year old girl shooter earned her Rifleman!

Remember that patriots risked all for posterity that day, and keep the American Heritage of Riflery.
Participate. We are fortunate Americans.

Respectfully,

eagleriver
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Medicus

Link to my FB Album of photos for this shoot (Privacy should be set to "public," post below or shoot me a PM if you can't see them). Also stay tuned to the Alaska Appleseed FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/sean.ryan.9237/media_set?set=a.10200446919292249.1734627251&type=3

Teaser from the album:
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Just relax in the sling; we're going to make fun of you." -Pete!

ItsanSKS

Red Hat Andrew:

Rifleman Cal:

Rifleman Tony:

Rifleman Mark:

Group of Riflemen:

Young Patriots:
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

fisherdawg

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren