News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Racine, WI - April 18 & 19, 2015

Started by Laredo, April 20, 2015, 11:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laredo

April 18, 2015.  7am. Lower 50's if I remember.  Very windy. 

With 66 pre-registered, we had our work cut out for us that morning.  Many stepped up to help and we got it done.  All said, we had 16 hats helping. 

We started the event with 58 participants.  >30 were kids.  This forced us to do relays.  Luckily we had planned for it.  Setting up the line, in itself, was a feat.  Many of the hats met Friday night to set it up.  I want to acknowledge the hours of work they put into this event before the first person even stepped on to the range.  Below is a picture of the line before we filled it with holes.

A special acknowledgement goes out to DrRichP for all the planning and hard work he put into this.  I heard he even put his wife to work organizing the handouts and preparing the forms.  I also want to acknowledge TriggerNick for running a great event... as always.  He has a way of making it dang fun. 

Also, I want to mention this:  We had all the kids on the left side of the line.  I stood at the middle of the line for most of the day calling it...  Every time I looked left, there was a sea of orange hats in the dirt with those kids.  ...all day long.  I have done a few kids events and let me tell you, its hard work.  I was so impressed at how hard the orange hats worked with those kids.  It was unreal.  I have a picture below proving this.  See if you can count how many Orange hats and Red hats are in the dirt.  Hint...  there wasn't a single kid wearing orange.. so every bit of orange you see in the picture is one of ours.

The history was told well.  The connection to our heritage was explained.  The importance of being involved citizens was conveyed.  The seeds were planted.  Let's pray for rain.

All told, six people earned the coveted badge!  Sean (214), Mark (218), Rick (211), Jenny (218), Philip (215), and Kim (220).  We had a repeat Rifleman - David.

I also must mention that Mark(Kiwimonster), Bill (Billy) and Jason (Leadlined) stepped up and took an Orange Hats!!  They are welcomed additions to the team.

We also need to congratulate Brightsparc for earning his red hat. Huzzah!!

On a personal note:
Long ago, a very old monk awoke to me and my friends entering the dark stone walled little book store of an abbey in Iowa.  He awoke just long enough to give us a long, foggy look and say; "Count not the passing days.  Make the passing days count."  He then put his head back down and went to sleep. 

April 19th.  240 years of history.  I had three generations on the line.  The biggest event I had been a part of.  Two of my best friends, my wife, her father (a Devil Dog), my two daughters, my brother in law, my nephew...  A great group of dedicated and inspirational hats and lifelong friends...  A lot came together to make this a most memorable weekend.   

These days count.

I have more pics... but my battery is about to die...  I will get some more up tomorrow.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Sis

What an absolutely amazing weekend!  Working with this team of green, red orange and blue hats was so fun, and everyone worked so hard!  Look at the number of shooters!!  We had whole families, extended families, fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers, sisters, friends and neighbors involved.  We had several young people shooting for the first time, and even an adult first timer!  And as an extra bonus we had about 20 young marines!  What amazing and dedicated young people!

With all of the pre-planning the shoot worked so smoothly!  And Laredo, the shoot boss in training, was phenomenal! 

I am so proud to be a member of Appleseed, and grateful that such a large group came out to celebrate our second amendment rights on this special weekend!
"If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten."
― Rudyard Kipling, The Collected Works

"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. "
― Michael Crichton

Taylor

Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

RustyRed

Kiwimonster

I had a great weekend!  I feel stoked about shooting rifleman this weekend. I am also very honored to have taken an orange hat. I look forward to a lot of great events. Thanks to all the instructors for their excellent help. It was a great feeling to share this weekend with so many friends.
Sept. 6-7 2014 1st
Nov. 15-16 2014 2nd
Apr. 18-19 2015  Rifleman
July 11-12 2015 KD Rifleman

Trig

What a glorious weekend!  Thank you to everyone who took part in making it happen!  The turnout was amazing to see, and the determination and perseverance by the shooters was awesome to watch.  Saturday tested them with almost constant 20-30 mph winds off Lake Michigan, with temps in the 40s for most of the day, I can assure you it was chilly.  Most were prepared for the temperature, but the wind was unexpected by most, and was a bear to deal with for the day with throwing our mats and gear around for most the event.  Sunday graced us with less wind making the day much easier.  I'm confident in saying that fun was had by all, and that everyone left with a greater understanding of the sacrifice that our founding fathers made in order to give us this beautiful country and the rights that we enjoy today.   

A special thanks to Senator Van Wannguaard for seeing what Appleseed is all about and speaking to the participants  O0
Thank you to Federal/CCI/ATK Distributors for making the Youth Ammo available, and to Racine County Line Rifle Club for the funding of the ammo for all youths on the line!!!     :--- 

Thank you all for the most wonderful of Patriots Weekends!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

Tuge

Although I was only able to help out on Saturday I must say this was an amazing display of coordination and team work.  As an orange hat I worked the end of the line closest to the Young Marines for most of the day and it was cool to see how their confidence started build as the day went on.  I honestly had never worked with young shooters before so this was a new experience for me as well. 

Laredo

Tuge, Thanks for being there.  Your help was much appreciated.  Further, it was great to meet you.  I look forward to working with you again.

This reminds me that a couple of the instructors did not make the picture due to one reason or another.  I think one was on gate duty at the time of the picture and Tuge and perhaps one more person was there Saturday only.

In case I missed anyone else in the picture - Thanks so much for making this event a success!!!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Trig

Joel/Xsubi was working the gate at the time of the Photo, and it looks like Bill left just prior to it also
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

Lephi

It was great to spend the weekend shooting and talking with everyone this weekend and I am thoroughly hooked, the passion for the program and level of professionalism from all the instructors and IITs is what makes me so exited for the next event.

Here are some pictures thanks to my wife Rachel

Crackshot

What an awesome weekend! I'm proud of everyone who came and stuck it out in spite of the wind. Congratulations to the new riflemen and to "Robbed" (Rachel) for their awesome scores! We had such a huge improvement in marksmanship overall this weekend!

Also, a 21 gun salute to our organizers for making the relays run as smoothly as they did!  :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~
Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards." - Shane Patton U.S. Navy SEAL

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!

Laredo

We had some technical difficulties with this thread.  Scuzzy has it all fixed now.  Thanks Scuzzy!

For those whose pictures were taken off, you can put them back up now.

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

Xsubi

There was at least 17 instructors there... I was manning the range gates during the photos   ;D
-------------------------------------------------------
Apple Seed Journey -
AS1 - Bristol, WI (AQT 207 w/o sling)
AS2 - Racine, WI (called into work)
AS3 - Racine, WI (7/5/14, Rifleman D2)