News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blue Ridge, GA April 18-19, 2015

Started by CokeGuy, April 20, 2015, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

With ominous looming clouds, we introduced participants to Appleseed inside the Power House. As we proceeded with First Strike, the downpour started. But, Anthony Walden spread a roll of hay over the new trench for water runoff, and with ground cover and three popups, we were able to begin outside in relative comfort.
We were so very pleased with the marksmanship improvement during the course of the first day:
Redcoat        400    300    200    100    Shingle     Clear
Start               2        2        3        8          6             2
End                 7        6        5        4         11            4

People really came to listen and learn!  Of the 20 signed up, we had only 2 No-shows, but 3 more arrived to complete the line. For half of the participants, this was their first Appleseed. And 7 were aged 15 or under. Huzzah!

On the first day, Ricky W. (State Trooper) shot 223 at this, his second Appleseed) to achieve Rifleman, even though he had a number of miss-feeds.
Many others came close.  Kaylee D. , arriving with a sprained ankle, shot a 209 and, I am sure, would have scored Rifleman had she been able to return on Sunday. HenryRifle requalified with a score of 229.

We started at 9:30 on Sunday and filled the morning with History and a discussion of what Liberty really is. We started with a reading of the first paragraph of the original Declaration of Independence, then transitioned to a "modern language" reading.  That was followed by reading the first paragraph of the "Bloody Butchery by the British Troops", and a copy was presented to each.  Then, Lucy Hosmer's diary entry for April 18, 1775 was read, where she recorded how she had helped to transport and hide muskets, powder and shot, and her concern for her husband, Lt. Joseph Hosmer, because of his recent fiery speech against the King. (You will recall that he chastised Col. Barrett, "Will you let them burn our town?")  Because we were not able to shoot until afternoon (church nearby), we did most of Benediction in the morning as well. DOM was replaced by giving each person a card about a patriot of similar age which they then read to the group in the order they occurred on April 19th.

Many thanks to ndrifleman, Fabricator, FabricatorsGal, Warp, and Gundy for your great instruction and help in making this another memorable event.
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Blue%20Ridge%2020150418-19

DrJohn

We are eagerly anticipating reports of how the Patriots' Day event at Blue Ridge went. Georgia was subject to some drenching downpours and challenging conditions, but reports so far indicate that our gallant students were undeterred. It reminds me of a line from Henry V. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters!). Heartiest congratulations to all our gallant Georgia Appleseeders!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Henryrifle

DrJohn:

I'll risk overstepping some boundaries and tell you that in addition to CokeGuy's inspiring and engaging teaching  manner, he must also possess amazing meteorological skills.

Though it did rain the proverbial cats and dogs on Sunday, he expertly timed all of the history and instruction sessions - indoors during those times!  There was a little mud and water on the shooting mats but they were all mostly dry.

I will write more later when time and workload permit but I continue to be not just impressed but stimulated by the quality of instructors and participants Appleseed draws.  I only wish there was more time.  It is easy to imagine being good friends with all of the guys I met last weekend.

Maybe Appleseed needs to produce a mini-yearbook from each event with participant pictures and contact information as I met some truly awesome folks that I would like to stay in touch with.

It was a great event with some fantastic history and riveting discussion.  The only thing missing was you.

Hope to see you again soon,
Hank

Leadslinger66

To echo Henryrifle's comments: great timing, great history lessons, and great people! CokeGuy and his crew were awesome!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence