News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marquis de Lafayette's Ship Coming to America (Replica)

Started by Guntuckian, April 20, 2015, 07:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guntuckian

With the victory at Saratoga from the battle of October 7, 1777, due to Colonel Morgan's Riflemen, including Sgt. Timothy Murphy, Ambassador  Benjamin Franklin was  able to obtain support from France!

A replica of the ship that brought Lafayette to America to help General George Washington is coming to America!

Interesting pictures and pertinent back story!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11547692/Lafayettes-warship-sets-sail-from-France-to-remember-assistance-in-American-war-of-independence.html

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

inSANEmom

-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

stoneknives

Stole if from you and put it up on the Fbook page.

henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

minnesotarabit

There is an excellent article in this month's Smithsonian magazine about the construction and sea trials of the Hermoine as well.
minnesotarabit
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

Guntuckian

Quote from: stoneknives on April 21, 2015, 10:19:46 AM
Stole if from you and put it up on the Fbook page.

henry

As I hoped you would, Henry!  I knew you had seen this post when this story popped up on the FL Facebook page!  Enjoyed chatting with you at the IBC in Dunnellon!  See you on the trail!
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Cable___Guy

It says it is due here June 5th , Are they actually going to sail it over? I suspect it took that long for the original to get here as well.
I guess I just assumed they would tow it across the Atlantic.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

minnesotarabit

They are sailing it, and stopping at a number of locations that it had significant impact during the fighting. They did a rough weather trial of it, and apparently this was one kick butt ship for speed, etc. when it was built. If you can find the Smithsonian, it is worth the read.
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787