News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA April 18-19, 2015 After Action Report - Patriots' Day

Started by caseten, April 20, 2015, 02:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseten

Patriots Day is a special event, and the group of men that attended this event didn't disappoint.

Appleseed always seems to draw people of great character, but this group really was some of the best.  Each was serious about learning the material and doing their best to achieve a Rifleman's score.  I expect to see each and every one of them back at Corona some time this year to finish their journey to become a Rilfeman, and start a new journey to something even greater.

Ray showed up for his second Appleseed, and is a serious contender to become a Rilfeman. I'm sure in the next Appleseed or two he will become a Rifleman, because a Rifleman persists.

Two Brothers Richard and Steven came, and kept in high spirits.  It's always good to see family together and "out on the green" as it were.

Allan was a walk-on and treated us to a story about being a young activist in the Philippines, during the dictatorship of President Ferdinand Marcos, and hanging posters at night, when that could get you killed by the regime. He truly has the spirit of the Founders within him.  Allan would have been one of those men signaling the alarm on the night of April 18th, 1775.

Eric one of our two lefties, and showed great form. Quiet and diligent, his focus and form impressed the instructors.

Chuck reminded me of a close friend of mine.  I always take that as a good omen. He didn't disappoint.

Chris happy and care free, marched down the Riflemans trail.  The Riflemans score eluded him this time, but maybe not the next.

Jerry, a Appleseed instructor, was a walk on, back to replenish his perishable skills and get back on the Appleseed trail.  We hope to see him re-qualify and help instructing at Corona as soon as he feels ready.  The Cause needs help.  Especially at Corona where we are short handed.

Liz stopped by to say, "Hi" to Johnny Appleseed (Richard) and Bob210. It boots spirits and moral when an instructor stops by to lend their heart felt support. 

Saturday evening we saw smoke rising near the range, like an alarm from the original April 19th in the distance. The range became the Incident Command for CalFire. Fire trucks and media rolled in while we BBQ'ed and watched the flames on the horizon. It lent a somber mood, as we reflected on the events on the evening of April 18th, and the Revolution that was to begin the next day.

The fire burned in the Prado Dam Flood Control Basin.  Eventually this was dubed the "Highway Fire" by the news.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire-658629-lifted-orders.html

We had another father and son pair who came out as well, whos names they would prefer not mentioned. Excellent people.  Unfortunately they didn't spend Sunday with us due to the smoke from the "Highway Fire".

The men who came out this weekend to learn Rifle Marksmanship and celebrate the History and the Founders, were truly exceptionable people.

These were men "who know very well what they are about".

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."  An excerpt from The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides

"Necessity is the plea for ever infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783

"... in other words, whether the parliament can legally take money out of our pockets, without our consent. If they can, our boasted liberty is but "Vox et praeterea nihil." A sound and nothing else." - John Dickinson [Continental Congressman from Pennsylvania, Signer of the Constitution], Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania to the Inhabitants of the British Colonies - Letter II

caseten

The "Highway Fire" burned in the Prado Dam Flood Control Basin.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire-658629-lifted-orders.html

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."  An excerpt from The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides

"Necessity is the plea for ever infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783

"... in other words, whether the parliament can legally take money out of our pockets, without our consent. If they can, our boasted liberty is but "Vox et praeterea nihil." A sound and nothing else." - John Dickinson [Continental Congressman from Pennsylvania, Signer of the Constitution], Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania to the Inhabitants of the British Colonies - Letter II

VII XI

It was...

truly an honor to participate.  Aside from the well presented history lessons were some serious discussions on the state of the nation and what can individuals do to correct it.  This was my 2nd AS and as before it can be overwhelming at times to contemplate the heritage that cost so much but which is our inheritance.  Now if we can only keep it.

There were some fun drills.  One, from the prone position establish your NPOA.  Now send 5 shots downrange at a 5 point star...with your eyes closed.  If the shooters are doing what has been taught it should be a cinch, right?  I was dismayed with my results but most everyone else though I did great.  3 shots in just over 1 MOA, 2 of those in the star, the 4th 2" higher,  the 5th high at the top right of the paper.  That was a good drill.

Another drill was when Bob had the shooters gathered for a history lesson and suddenly Mike in tri corner hat and blouse suddenly rushed in to exclaim, "Capt Smith, the Red Coats are coming!".  Bob shouted, "Fire, for God's sake, fire as fast as you can!"  We all rushed to our stations and began to nail those lobsterbacks.  Law of Primacy in learning dictates the student will revert to first learned when under stress.  My fault was closing my forehand over the stock.  After about 3 shots I realized my error but without losing cadence I did relax my grip.  Later, Bob did say our eyes were like saucers once it sunk in what was going on.  Real fun drill.

Day One was mostly the basics again and again and again.  I think we shot 2 AQTs.  Which left me thinking to get ready for massive drilling for many AQTs.  I was right.  Day Two featured I think 7 AQTs, maybe more.  Those dang transitions kill me.  And still that blanket blank voice from last time (Phil) talking about yoga.   ;D

The volley is a great way of remembrance.  Makes me proud to participate in paying homage to those who have stood in the breach for their fellows and for posterity.  Ask your neighbor, What did you do last weekend?

At least this time I was more consistent.  The 'homework' gotten from last time paid off.  Or maybe it was the upgrade to Tech sights on my 10/22 Carbine.  My highest AQT was 160, the lowest was 147.  But it is the same 'mistakes' so that makes it easier to make the corrections...as opposed to groups like a scatter gun. 

Before I forget; Bob caught a HUGE mistake I was making with the sling.  Once that was corrected it really started coming together.  I was using the wrong loop.  I had been opening the adjustment loop instead therefore it would not stay cinched tight. That is why I was constantly fighting the loop sliding down my forearm.  Bob's mantra, 'The loop lives on top of the H buckle' makes it easy to remember.

The instruction was excellent.  Huzzah! for Bob, Richard, and Mike.  And Mike was presented his green hat.  That too was a wonderful thing to witness.  Well done, Mike!

Eleven shooters, all men, no Rifleman this time.  My oath is to do my best to correct that ASAP.

The T-shirt was a wonderful surprise which I will wear with pride.

(my computer is being difficult with pics so will have to wait)
"The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self defense.
The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and the
plunderer in awe, and preserve order."   ~Thomas Paine

VII XI

In the interest of accuracy I must correct my error.   Incorrectly I mentioned Smith hen in fact it as Capt Parker of the militia.

Down with the tyrant King George. 
"The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and abandoned while they neglect the means of self defense.
The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and the

VII XI

1) Bob210   I'm pretty sure those aren't RW regulation eyewear.   :cool2:  It was great to watch Bob fire that piece and to be exposed to his enthusiasm for liberty.

2) Mike (Caseten) receiving new green hat.  19APR

3) I'm happy with these results but not satisfied.  The satisfaction will come when I earn the coveted Rifleman and that it's not just a fluke.  I have to work on being consistent with follow-through and not getting bunched up with gripping the forestock.  Comments appreciated if you see something about my groups.

VII XI

By the way, look close at the lower hole in the 100 yd silhouette, two holes, 3 shots!  Yay baby! 

FYI:  I do not see a button to edit or modify my posts.  Could it be because this is only my 5th post (newbie)?

colycat

VII XI,

You sir seem to be on fire for Appleseed.  Appleseed Nation had an instructor who went by V and he was was of my favorites, even though I have sadly never met him.

Score 210 or better and you can be the next V.  We need all the help we can get for the Republic.

Welcome aboard Sir!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

VII XI

Colycat, thank you.

What I am on fire for is liberty of the people absent the oppression of intrusive government.  It is the passionate plea to right the rails of this great nation finally heard on this forum.  As most everyone will acknowledge, this country has drifted afar.  Whatever way it is, it is not as it as intended.  By whatever hand, it is the apathy and the ignorance of the people which is at the source of the maladies.  Too, as seen on various forums spread across the wide, wide interwebz, too few are they that do more than gripe of it.  I wish neither be like them nor among them.  This is all to say that in AS I have found an outlet with the right mission.

I am of little means.  But by God I have a voice.  But to be heard is seemingly of little value in the noise of today.  One hopes their effort not be in vain as one crying out in the wilderness.  So, until something else becomes of me, I am a joiner.  But to join the right cause is principal.  Avast, I am here.

VII XI

I met V last December.  Whether real or imagined, I sized him up as one to not be trifled with.  Not only did he provide excellent instruction but his bearing reminded me of SpecOps.  The word is respect.

My tingly sense goes into full awareness around men like that.  Though not in fear for I detect no malice. 

Ok, I'll be quiet.