News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bedford, IN -- Patriot's Day Weekend -- April 18-19, 2015

Started by brianheeter, April 19, 2015, 11:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianheeter

"Mr. Heeter?  Call for you, sir."

"Thank you, Janice."  brianheeter picked up the phone.  "Yeah."  Johnson watched brianheeter's expression change from surprise to concern to resolve as he listened to the caller on the line.  "Alright.  We'll make it happen," he said as he put the receiver down."

"What's the story?" Johnson asked as brianheeter got out of his chair and went to the window to look out on the lights of Hong Kong from 75 stories up.

"It's Bedford.  Indiana's out of Shoot Bosses."

"Really?"  Johnson spoke it more as a statement than a question.  "Are you going to help them out?"

"How can I not?  Bedford doesn't need me as much as we need Bedford.  We ALL need Bedford."

"What about support?  Will you be needing my assistance?"

"No, the Bedford Contingent is top shelf.  I need you to stay here and keep the members of the Executive Board informed of our activities in Asia.  I'll be fine going out there alone.  I won't be alone when I arrive.  I do need you to do something for me, though."  brianheeter knew he could count on Johnson.

"Of course."

brianheeter and Johnson looked each other in the eye.  "Say a prayer for this nation.  Ask for the hand of the Almighty to be on us as we strive to save this great country and get it back to what the Founding Generation had in mind."

Johnson replied, "I say that prayer every day."

Preparations were well underway as brianheeter approached the range.  The Bedford Contingent worked efficiently and without need to hurry as they got things set up for a weekend of history, heritage and marksmanship instruction.  With the car parked safely away from the soft ground of the bean field he stepped out of the car onto gravel and breathed in the fresh spring air.  "240 years," he thought.  "Could the men who gave their lives on that day ever imagine what their sacrifice would mean?"

--------------------------------------------------

The 240th anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord was celebrated in grand fashion at the Bomb Range north of Bedford, Indiana.  Several veterans of the Appleseed Trail were on hand to join with some newcomers to honor those that sacrificed so much 240 years ago.  We had families, neighbors and friends sharing the line.

Saturday was near perfect weather with sunshine, pleasant temperatures and a breeze kicking up around 1230.  Sunday, the other shoe dropped and we enjoyed "liquid sunshine" for nearly the entire day.  The Bedford Contingent once again earned their reputation for being the most hospitable crew in the States and served up some excellent chow both days.  While none of our shooters earned a Rifleman patch marksmanship was improved, history was related, eyes were opened, sacrifices previously unknown became appreciated and some lives were changed.

Huzzah!
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Nero

Do you get a transfusion direct from SPQR or somethin' ???  ;D **)
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

brianheeter

Quote from: Nero on April 20, 2015, 01:42:30 AM

Not a transfusion but osmosis of awesomeness!   ;D
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

redbaron

Quote from: brianheeter on April 20, 2015, 06:54:21 AM
Quote from: Nero on April 20, 2015, 01:42:30 AM

Not a transfusion but osmosis of awesomeness!   ;D

O0

Can't wait to read the rest of the story!

TJ Kackowski

I want to know who now has bragging rights as "best shot" ... yellowhousejake or SPQR? 

Then we need to know when this supposed "best shot" is ready to take on Rachel.  The 11 year old (next week) student at Crawfordsville who went from not hitting paper Saturday AM to ringing steel at 100 yds Sunday afternoon.  The older men better keep an eye on their six.

Uncle Davey

SPQR shot a 244. Not sure about YHJ.History was killer stuff!!
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.