News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wabash IN, Bass and Bucks April 18th and 19th!!

Started by grunt soldier, April 19, 2015, 10:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grunt soldier

Wabash Indiana.  Bass and bucks.  It was a heck of a weekend.  we Initially started out with 26 shooters.  well 2 more folks showed up really wanting to shoot.  How can I turn away fine American's who want to learn about their amazing history and heritage on the most glorious of weekends!  I can't.  so we welcome these fine patriots with open arms.  We attempt to make room on the line but boy is it cramped.  No one complains though.  we just suck it up and do what we have to do.  The students all very eager to get going and share IN THE ONLY SPORT ENDORSED BY OUR FOUNDING FATHERS! So after our trials and tribulations we have the line squared away and ready to go.  Great Americans ready to start honoring our founding fathers by sending some lead down range!

We shoot some 5 squares. Learn the 6 steps,  steady hold factors, Natrual point of aim. Rifleman's cadence.  Groups start shrinking by the shot!!  It's looking very good.   Some things happen not including us and out of our control.  The range host takes care of it as quickly as possible and we are back on the bus journeying through history.  learning and paying homage to those that came before us.  More rounds down range.  MORE AND MORE SMILING FACES! Great American's, Free American's who have gathered on the EVE of Her birthday.  The eve OF HER INDEPENDENCE!   We get to the AQT target. go through the positions.  learn new steady hold factors.  special ways to adjust NPOA.  very scientific ways!  Learned through many years in a laboratory doing experiments given highly professional names so as the THE TWO CHEEK SNEAK. 

The shoot boss is getting antsy He knows that his time is running out He has a event he can not and will not miss no matter how much he wants to.  The Final AQT of the day is shot.  4 riflemen are made!!  The 3rd strike and benediction are given.  Hands are shook and a very competent red hat takes over and finishes up the day!   I finish up the day with my daughter at the father daughter dance.  Amazing start to PATRIOTS DAY WEEKEND!

Sunday morning.  a few less shooters return.  Some had to work. some to sore after the long Saturday.  We get started bright and early.  I explain the quick review of important information.  I also explain today will be very fast paced as a monsoon is expected to hit around noon.  We need to get on the AQT GRIND asap.  So we do.  We shoot at a rapid pace.  Prep rounds quickly and stand by for the next COF.  The students make vast improvements and are smiling ear to ear.  We push back lunch to ensure as much success as possible before the IMPENDING hurricane!  LOL at least that is what the news forecasted.    We get in 5 AQT's.  the rain hit.  Everyone is tired and ready for some nourishment and more history/heritage.  at lunch time we grade AQT'S, Discuss dangerous old men and dames.  We talk about highs and lows of the weekend.  We present 4 more rifleman patches.  Several knocking on the doors!  One fine student known as the ICE Princess not only shot rifleman she backed it up 4 times!!  Amazing Job.  Rich scores a 233 and proceeds to back it up with a 227.  Matt breaks through with a 214 and so Does Trevor! Huzzzzahhh!  Lonestar will have to post the name of the riflemen she patched the night before as I didn't get a chance to snag that info during all the set up. 

We head back outside in the pouring rain to try and do a few more drills and AQT's.  We get very very wet.  The students hang tight until they are shivering.  Much like our forefathers back on that brisk April 19th!  And like our Forefathers they persevere.  Honoring those that came before them.  No more rifleman are made but many that stuck it out and attempted.  The downpour was to much. 

We sent a runner down range to post our volley target.  they return and we all line up.  More instruction is given.  Students are eager to  send rounds down range in honor of those who sacrificed so much. Those who gave their all for posterity.  We don't want them repenting for taking half the pains they did.  We attempt to do them proud.  We hear loud screams of names followed by fire!  That's what they do!  History, Heritage, Marksmanship.  they all collide forming the perfect storm of Honor, thanks, and acknowledgement!  We can not thank the founders enough for what they did and what they gave us but we humbly attempt to atleast show them that it is appreciated and that We are thankful for all they did and all they gave us!

Absolutely Amazing weekend.  Great students, great shooting and most of all A great time!   Thank you all for spending this weekend with us.  Sacrafising in the pouring rain instead of at home of the couch.  So many of you are so close.  Your knocking on the door and it won't be long before you knock it down.   Chris you improved so much.  Your literally there.  keep it up.  Dr prepper I thought you had it on that last one.  You did amazing.  Rodney keep at it you will be there.  Dynamo those malfunctions were killing you, get that rifle cleaned up and hit the line again. 

To our great youth shooters.  You did an amazing job! Thank you so much for coming out and spending the weekend with us.  You give me hope for the future.

Hopefully one of the many folks with pictures will be along to post them shortly.  I was to busy running in all different directions like a chicken with it's head cut off lol. 

Thank you everyone for coming out and sharing this weekend! 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

SirGolem

I can't thank you Green hats, Red hats, Blue hats and Orange hats enough for everything you put on this weekend!!!
I had such a wonderful time and I seriously cant wait to do another.
Going to be spending a lot of time on the range from now on honing all the skills that I was taught. Who know, maybe I can tame the M1 well enough to get another Rifleman score.

Pic dump incoming  ;)

AAOptics

Ill tackle a lengthier post tomorrow, but for now Ill leave a big congrats to the new rifleman, and the determination showed this afternoon.  It looks like Ill have to make the trip up north for the next shoot to witness a few of you kick in the door.

FireAxes

First off, what a great weekend! Despite the weather, is there a better place to be than on the range?
I hope everyone had a good time. Your first Appleseed can be rough! Don't let that discourage you. Most people do not patch the first go around. Between rifle and scope issues, learning positions and everything else it's tough. Practice what we taught you and come back.
A huge thanks to our AppleCore (bluehats). They were a tremendous asset and always make a shoot go much smoother!

I apologize, I had to sneak out early on Sunday and go to work. I didn't get the chance to say goodbye and tell you how well you were all doing.

I have Pics of Saturday's Rifleman. They should be below.

lady Brave

This Appleseed was my 1ST and I had so much FUN!!!! the instructors were amazing! I Loved the History lesson with the training. never knew the story and glad I got to hear it. As far as training, I love the fact you all repeat your selves and show us what to do. The repetition of all the different positions/ holds is what helped me the most. Thank You.. I had no issues other than training in the rock.. I personally thanked all of you but a special THANK YOU to green hat for all the coaching. and Red hat (loan star) your one tough cookie, and thank you for the barrowing of the hat.. it really helped.. I can not wait for the next one  :---  I hope to see you all again. oh and a thank you to Alan for fixing my scope! Chris  O0

AAOptics

Quote from: lady Brave on April 20, 2015, 12:51:06 PM
This Appleseed was my 1ST and I had so much FUN!!!! the instructors were amazing! I Loved the History lesson with the training. never knew the story and glad I got to hear it. As far as training, I love the fact you all repeat your selves and show us what to do. The repetition of all the different positions/ holds is what helped me the most. Thank You.. I had no issues other than training in the rock.. I personally thanked all of you but a special THANK YOU to green hat for all the coaching. and Red hat (loan star) your one tough cookie, and thank you for the barrowing of the hat.. it really helped.. I can not wait for the next one  :---  I hope to see you all again. oh and a thank you to Alan for fixing my scope! Chris  O0

With the dedication you showed this weekend, after your next seed don't be surprised if one of us ask you to "borrow" a different colored hat at the next shoot.

Alan

grunt soldier

A few pictures that did manage to be taken :)

Our Awesome youth!

The Ice Princess and her 4 rifleman Aqts

custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

fordfarmboy1

I thought I was a member on here, I guess not after all till now lol. Thanks to all the instructors and apple core for a great weekend. That was my third seed and I was bound determined to make rifleman. Thankfully I finally did on Sunday. Even better, before the rains came thankfully. But I won't stop there. Since this time I used scoped 10/22. Next will be peep sighted mossberg, then an AR. I won't stop till I can hit rifleman with them all! Thank you all for a great weekend once again. I loved the history as much as I loved the shooting. I'm ready for my next one, but it will have to wait till summer. So I will be back!  (Matt)

grunt soldier

Matt you did a great job sir.  And the perserverance your showing is what being a rifleman is all about sir!  I Look forward to having you on the line again!

Ps.  I know a lot more pictures were taken than just this.  Lets get them posted up please :)

BrotherBill3

Sorry I'm slow with getting to the AAR this time.
I had to haul the young recruit around and then get all my stuff setup to dry and immediately go into prep to be out of town for a few days for work.
(getting stuff together / sorted for 3 days while looking through your eyelids is not easy)

ANYWAY:  Given my new role - I didn't take as many photos this time.
Day 1 went fast. Only a couple of photos of the line and instruction:

Line to the right

Line to the left:

Targets while Fireaxes is our demonstrator for Standing:

We qualified 4 riflemen/women; and I think I recall that 3 people cleared the entire afternoon redcoat; including Anthony (Nephews Son / USMC Bound ) I brought to attend as a Graduation Gift  ...

Sunday morning we were faced off against a group of redcoats on the green:
To the right of us:

and to the left of us:

We had 17 patriots return to the line:

From there we jumped quickly into the AQT grind trying to get as much done before the rain / monsoon came in.
By noon or so - we had 4 more riflemen - 3 new, 1 re-qualified
CONGRATS TO ALL RIFLEMEN!!! HUZZAH!!

After lunch / history and awards ( I was on line duty ) ...
we had a few folks still wanting to shoot, showing the persistence it takes to be a rifleman - Matt switch to his AR, plus Anthony, and Chris lasted to the last AQT;  these last two were so close on the last one in the rain.
The last 1 was so wet it had to be scored and photographed on the target backer.

Then we did our Victory Volley  (Grunt / LoneStar6 ... any idea if/where this list of names is available?)  Thanks for videoing Alan!!

A few of the folks there wanted to see an instructor shoot (or perhaps see one of us get wetter, if that was possible ... :smile: :joke: ).
I volunteered - using the 15-22 (Which is Grunt's) that Anthony had been using. 

2 notes:
1) I had never fired a 15-22 before, (only 2 times w/ an AR in my life) - so I messed a few bits of the operational stuff up - which cost me time; only 6 rounds on transition stage 2 ...
And
2) this was standard peep site ... which I have not used w/ any regularity (a few rounds each with TJ's M1 and an LTR back in October);
... since even my bow is 'non functional' for the last 2 years ... and I qualified w/ my Scoped (on 3x) Marlin ... being a blind squirrel is normal to me.

All this is on me: the Operator. (riflemen are supposed to know their equipment) I also did not know how well the rifle was zeroed for me but that wasn't really off.
Anyway I was shooting well, until the last row when I thought the rain looked like sleet (maybe it was) bouncing off of the barrel and rails;
and not being able to really see the targets well to begin with in good conditions ... anyway - the score stank (one of my lowest) but it was a good lesson. 

I also may not be able to count to 10.  (since I can't blame the young marine recruit whom I had loading rounds to save time in the rain ... LOL)
OH WELL - I was done, wet and Ok with it at the time; And it left me feeling like I may just get the tech sights for my marlin; rather than upgrade the optics for my 989M2.

Anthony's last AQT - his groups stayed tight; but he didn't score as well. looking at it (engineer in me) and having discussed w/ Grunt as we looked there with Anthony.  He appears to have finally found his true NPOA - it shifted about 5/8" right for him ... cause if you shift all the groups 5/8" left - he goes from 143 to 211. - Kinda like Maxwell Smart. - which just shows how close you can be and not get the score as you learn the fundamentals.  He said he shot better as it rained more; I figure that's the soon to be marine in him.  He's got a solid foundation and I hope to get him back before he head off in August.

My target in the rain:

Anthony's Target w/ Shift (actual shot groups/scores red; shifted shot groups/scores blue)

As to being behind the line - it was a lot of new challenges. Grunt and LoneStar6 said I did OK. I Hope I did. I do enjoy helping others learn; even as I am still learning/ improving.
There were points where I was frustrated w/ my performance; but as it was my first time and giving the commands is quite different than just listening for them. It was a challenge.
I'll get it; same persistence as I put into getting on the line. 
I even learned simple stuff about Rugers and AR style rifles (like safeties; locking bolts back etc).

Again the method of the way things are taught helps the same way that the method of what is taught ... so, no excuses (for me); perhaps an explanation or two.  Like Gibbs ( :slap: - back of the head - wake up call) ... and get it done;

We had a great group and the youth shooters were really showing some great progress at they worked through building each of the 6 steps one on top of the other.  Great Weekend - even in the rain!