News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2015 After Action Reports from other Sources

Started by scuzzy, April 17, 2015, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Man - forgot to start the 2015 AAR from other sources. And here it is already April.

Anybody have anything - post it here.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TT92

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!

Rocket Man

Yesterday I received a lengthy e-mail from a previous Rifleman.  Peter earned his patch at Azusa CA in September 2014:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42776.msg303313#msg303313

Well, he's also an avid shooter with the Los Angeles Swiss Athletic Society, and he had the opportunity of a lifetime to go compete in the Eidgenössisches Schützenfest -- think Olympics of marksmanship.  Think of our own Camp Perry, but with a much broader, more public appeal.

I'll let Peter speak for himself:

QuoteShort form is, I got a gold medal. To do that, you have to shoot a minimum score in at least five different matches.

I might have had a minor medal for the "Swiss Overseas" match, but I pulled two shots. As it is, the Los Angeles Swiss Athletic Society (well, they used to do Swiss-style wrestling too, but now the members are too old) finished... wait for it... second overall, of 18 teams from ten countries. [...] The "winners" were Liechtenstein, but I call foul. They are not so much overseas as over-the-Rhine and they use Swiss currency. We beat out Capetown, South Africa, and a bunch of others -- Vancouver, Washington  DC, etc.

Here's a local news story if you can read German.

http://www.1815.ch/news/esf2015/esf2015/27-juni-2015/

But here's the best part. On Sunday after the Overseas match, there was a parade through the old town of Visp. Swiss national television covered it -- for two hours. Like the Rose Parade. The parade route was lined with folks, and many who saw [a teammate]'s gold medal knew what it meant and ran out to shake his hand.

Peter came to a couple of events, already pretty squared away, but we of course helped with some fundamentals and worked on the all-important Rifleman's Bubble.  After the patch I've been in contact, giving a little advice on things like sandbag-supported prone that we don't usually teach, but I don't take too much credit.  However, it seems to have helped anyway:

QuoteI have one more prize yet to be determined, for "Ehrengaben." Currently I'm ranked 60 out of more than 3100 and there's a week to go yet. I think I get a cash payout, probably 100 francs. Anyway that's a quickie string -- three shots on a 100-point target, only best two count, and I lucked out to get a 98 and a 95 (and an 80). Effectively that means I put two of three into about 3" X-ring at 300 meters, iron (diopter) sights, Swiss K31 with Swiss issue service ammo, prone supported.

Anyway, Appleseed been berry berry good to me -- teaching me the fundamentals and making me a better shooter.

Good stuff.   ..:..

We talk sometimes -- maybe not enough -- about the Mission.  We should have a clear picture of what success of the Mission can and should look like.  I have a feeling that a national competition and national pride like the above is a big part of it.  Who wouldn't want that?  Let's make it happen.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Another report from Calguns, with pictures of targets:  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=16640980#post16640980

Spoiler, first-time Rifleman.   ;)  Interesting case.  The notion of "cheek weld" was a revelation to him, and it showed -- even his first square was sub-3 MOA.  He was already most of the way there, just needed a big nudge.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Doug Carlton

Is enforcing the latest bit of bureaucratic insolence really worth anyone's life?

bountybuddy

I take my hat off to you my friend.  Really great shooting.  Shoot safe my friend.
Who Gave you the black eye?
Nobody gave it to me son I fought for it.
Conagher  (Louis L'Amour)

May all your paths be bright ones.

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"