News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fenton, MI April 18-19, 2015

Started by ITB, April 13, 2015, 08:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

What a great weekend.  We had 19 shooters come out on the 240th anniversary of the Shot Heard Round the World. 

Everyone came with a teachable attitude and was ready to drink from the firehose!  Everyone showed quite the improvement, as the Red Coat numbers show, especially Sunday afternoon.  Half the shooters on Sunday afternoon had an effective range of 400 yards, and more than half made Morgan's Men!

Congratulations to our six Riflemen - Adam, Brian, Dan, James, Tracy and Dan. 

It was also a pleasure working with such a talented instructor corps - you guys are awesome, and made my job much easier.  Thanks to Rochelle, Bluesteel, Fly-Boy, Gibson, MrSurplus, Grindstone, number6, Miki and D.O.M.

We did some fun shoots, heard some marvelous history, cranked through a bunch of AQTs, and did the Memorial Volley.  What a wonderful way to spend a weekend.  I am tired, sore, sunburned, and very grateful to have spent my time with such a great group of people.  Thank you, everyone.

On with some pictures....

Miki doing the Saturday morning safety briefing:

Posting the first Red Coat:

First rounds downrange:

Our home for the weekend:

Grindstone teaching standing:

Bluesteel teaching seated:

Fun shoot!  Note the "ringer" forced to shoot standing:

Gibson telling Third Strike:

James being properly "baptized" for his 210:

Dawn - April 19th - Things were about to change 240 years ago:

MrSurplus teaching the prone position:

Number6 and Ironsides teaching NPOA:

Brian with his Rifleman patch - exactly 240 years after two of his ancestors answered the alarm:

Caliper demonstrating his musket:

Trace and his Rifleman patch:

Dan and his Rifleman patch:

Our Sunday crew:

L to R: Rochelle, Bluesteel, number6, Ironsides, ITB, Gibson, D.O.M., Fly-Boy, Grindstone and MrSurplus
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Grindstone

OK, AAR found. Let's get these pictures started!

I was great spending time with a group that knows so well what they are about.

Wobblie

In a word I was impressed. Impressed by the quality of the training, the history and the instructors, a special tip of the hat to the young instructors. I have the bug now and I will be back for sure (After I recover from a mysterious episode of full body soreness)

Dziadek

I too have this mystery "soreness" ailment.

I am not much of a joiner. It takes me a while too see what people are about before I join anything. Guns and history are like peanut butter for this mouse.

I truly was drinking from a firehose this weekend. I took copious notes on the instruction. There was so much that I will need weeks to integrate it, I am sure. My last formal instruction was complements of the BSA in 1980. There has been 35 years of decay since then.

My first order of business after returning home was to grab a burger and a beer at my local watering hole. I sat with my notebook and thought about what I had learned. Then I started texting friends that NEED this.

One lady friend accused me of trying to win points for bringing a chick to the next one. I said, Sorry to burst your bubble, but there were ladies teaching this thing and they knew their stuff. She immediately became interested.

I have two other friends who waste a lot of ammo with me every year at the range. They need to shoot less and listen more. I have them sold on the idea. I've got two co-workers who love to gun talk. I have them sold.

I've got children that owe me some money. I don't expect to see that money again, but I am giving them an out. If they go to Appleseed, I will forgive their debt.

I expect to have enough to meet Burb's bring-four-persons challenge. I wouldn't dream of shooting for free. I truly believe that I didn't pay enough for what I learned and though I didn't make Rifleman this time out, you'll see me getting my patch soon enough.
The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

Dziadek

Regarding the hat tip to the young instructors... I concur.

I appreciate your comments and your instruction. Even when you weren't talking to me, I overheard you talking to others and I made a point to check myself. Nice work. I am sure your folks are proud...  and should be.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

The Canadian

Thank you to all of the instructors and organizers - we (all four Canadians) had a great time! The history portions was just about as exciting as the shooting.

Also, thank you to our teammates John (for the first challenge), and Justin (for the second challenge).

I will definitely be back for another shoot.

Regards,
Adam

IRONSIDES

We had some great shooters this weekend! I was only there on Sunday, and I have to say I was really impressed with the progress of the group as whole. From the safety rules, to getting into the positions you guys and gals had it down pat. I see several future Riflemen and women with a little more fine tuning and trigger time. I really enjoyed meeting all of you and hope to see you down the trail.

Miki

Sorry I couldn't be with you all Sunday. Family obligations prevented that. I was humbled by those that took a moment to shake my hand and thank me for being there Saturday. It was my honor to meet you and get a chance to work with you Saturday. Glad to hear the wicked weather predicted for Sunday held off.

I'm always amazed at the caliber (pun intended) of folks I meet at events and this was no exception. Hope to have the opportunity to work with you all again in the future.

A special shout out to our friends from 'the great white north'! You totally ROCK!

Miki

D.O.M.

Whew! I may be recovered enough to post coherently  ^:)^

A big thanks to everyone who made this event fantastic! This means you, participants  ;)

Our new friends from the great white north, or Toronto as you call it were wonderful. Adam, who shot his first ever AQT and was doused in water as a symbolic baptism in the waters of the North Bridge, and his friend James, who likewise scored a 210.
Yvonne and Julie, thanks for bringing them  ;) You both impressed us all with your persistence. We hope to see you all again soon.

Pike, Tracy Brian and Dan. Nice going, men. It was a fine day to earn your patch. Especially so for Brian, who's Great x 4 Grandfather and great x 4 Uncle answered the call 240 years ago to the day you shot a Rifleman score. Huzzah!

Not to forget all the other participants who worked so hard. You all were great. You took instruction well and were working closer to your patches.

Justin, thanks for bringing Sarah and Ben, it was great to see such dedicated young people there. Kids, tell your parents they are doing a good job  ;)

Ed, keep working on your positions at home. I know you want that patch, and I hope to see you at another event soon!
Jon, I know you've been to more than one Appleseed. Your persistence will pay off. I know it!
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

D.O.M.

pics! (i hope)
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Water Wolf

Firstly, thank you to all the instructors.  While I have been shooting for several years, this was the first "formal" instruction I've had on a rifle, and all of you made it very comfortable and easy to learn.  Everyone was willing to help me out and give me pointers.  And I got at least a few minutes of one on one instruction with most (if not all) of the instructors over the days.

I was talking to a couple of my coworkers on Monday and they were quite impressed with the whole program.  I will try to bring them, and some of my family members along with me to the next one (and there will definitely be a next one for me).

I loved the history portions as well. I had a basic understanding of the events of April 19th 1775, but it was great to hear the events in more detail than I have ever heard before.  Bravo to everyone who helped tell the story.

Caliper

Official "ringer" reporting in!  ;D  Had a great time as always and got to shoot waaaaaaaaaaay more ammo than I usually do!  What a change being on the other side again. 

BTW: for anyone out there with cross-dominance issues (left eye dominant, right handed in my case) persist!  Follow your dominant eye if at all possible.  I'm getting my positions worked out for left hand shooting to owhere they are starting to feel natural, and it's great being able to shoot with both eyes open now.  It's interesting finding the little differences between the two sides, and ultimately makes for better groups. 

Grindstone

By the way... If on Sunday you had your stuff on the far left table where I had my range box, and you are  missing a magazine, send me a PM.