News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pelham, TN March 28-29th, 2015 (Known Distance)

Started by Maximum Ordinate, April 01, 2015, 12:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was a great Known Distance clinic in Pelham, TN this past weekend!

We got a respite from some of the recent rains and on Saturday the ground was firmer that we expected at the Elk River Training Center!  It's a beautiful facility and we're grateful they can host us.

Our students arrived bright and early Satuday morning and were greeted by our awesome Applecore volunteer, Tejaslady at the registration desk.  We had students from Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and two crazy guys who drove TWELVE HOURS from my old stomping grounds in Des Moines, Iowa!

After getting our crew signed in, we jumped into discussion of the Three Tasks of a Rifleman.  OvermountainMan explained Target Detection, Regulator did a great job covering range estimation, Rusty covered Making the Shot & Trajectory.  We covered come-ups, zeros (how & why), employing Battlesight Zero, and the importance of capturing really good data.  Cokeguy helped out by explaining the quick'n'dirty wind rule so we could get to shooting after lunch.  During lunch, Overmountain Man told the history of the Battle of Kings Mountain. 

Almost all our shooters came with zero'd rifles, but we trekked over to the 25m range and did a couple sighter squares to confirm.  While KDs are always fun, it's especially fun when your Applecore volunteer steps up and decides she wants to shoot... her first time with an AR15.  ^:)^ 

After confirming zeros, we went to the 400y course and started shooting sighters and an AQT.  Every step of the way, shooters were encouraged to write down the data they were collecting - in order to confirm & build their own come-up chart.  During our first AQT, we had three qualifiers:  Geoff (requal 46/50), Matti (new KD qual, 42/50) and Eric who deserves a special mention.  He qualified 44/50 AND earned his Rifleman patch!!  How cool is that?  Way to go, Eric!!  ..:..

After the AQT, we wrapped up.  Shooters and instructors alike were wiped out!  A bunch of us went out to The Smokehouse in Monteagle, TN for dinner and we're surprised the Flat River Band was playing.  It was a great time.

Sunday morning, three one-day shooters joined us.  We started with an in-depth discussion of environmental factors, hold-overs/unders, and a quick review of fundamentals.  Several shooters from yesterday made adjustments to their equipment, so we took time at the 25m range for a couple of sighter squares and mag change practice drills.  At lunch, we heard about the Forage Wars. 

We knocked out three more AQTs on Sunday.  moved onto the KD steel shooting out to 500 yards.  There was also a timed competition, but I'll let RamblinWreck share that story.  :)

I was very proud of all the shooters who came out - it was a long weekend and everyone learned a lot.  I look forward to seeing all of you on the line again soon!

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  If you have pictures, please share them here.  :)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Harmonica

It was good to see you and Ramblin Wreck again. Had a great time. Thanks to all the Instructors and Applecore staff that donated their time and effort.

Congrats to the KD Riflemen. Nice shooting!

I've already signed up for Manchester next May to send yet another half case of ammo downrange in the general direction of my target. :))
Now who can argue with that?

Mama-Bear

Had a great time at the Pelham KD.  Thank you to the instructors for making this a great learning experience, I may not have qualified this time, but I gained knowledge that will get me there soon.    ^:)^
Mama-Bear

TN.Chaplain

I had a great time.  This was my first KD, but it won't be my last!  I would like to thank the instructors for a wealth of knowledge!
Patriot = An Everyday American That Has Had Enough!

majorlag

This was a wonderful experience, and I had an excellent time.  Wish I could've stayed for Day 2.

I also would like to thank all of the instructors for donating their time and knowledge to teach the participants.  I'd also like to thank Elk River Training Center for their hospitality and the use of their facility. 

Thoroughly enjoyed getting to meet lots of great new folks.  It is so encouraging to see so many people who believe that these skills and an understanding of our American history are important.  Hope to see you all again.

Best wishes to all!