News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

MA Appleseed as a Non-Resident

Started by Bolt Head, March 28, 2015, 07:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt Head

Title says it all. As I understand it, MA law forbids me from bringing my rifle from my home state or even purchasing ammunition as an MA non-resident.

I'd like to attend the April 18-19 Appleseed in Harvard. Would I be permitted to use another Appleseeder's loaner rifle? I'd eagerly pay a rental fee and cost of feeding it through the event.

DrRichP

Hi Bolthead,

I think you may be misreading the law. As a non-resident you are allowed to possess your rifle and ammunition in MA.

According to Section 129C

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(g) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range;

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

Please refer to: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c

I will let the instructors in that area for that event comment on whether or not they will have loaner rifles available.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

VietVet

Contact the Shoot Boss for this event, lupis42.
Arrangements should be able to be made for a "Loaner Rifle" for you to use if you're not comfortable bring your own but as DrRich pointed out you can bring both your own ammo and rifle to MA.
You are correct that you will NOT be able to purchase ammo in MA.

Lupis42 will  be able to advise you on the availability of both the rifle and ammo.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Bolt Head

Thanks for your advice DrRichP and VietVet.

Since I'm temporarily living in MA and not traveling across state lines for the day, I believe that precludes me from possessing a rifle at my temporary residence. Even if I could, it wouldn't do me much good without ammunition.

Getting in touch with lupis42 seems the way to go, I'll do that.

MetalgodZ

Quote from: Bolt Head on March 28, 2015, 08:33:07 PM

Since I'm temporarily living in MA and not traveling across state lines for the day, I believe that precludes me from possessing a rifle at my temporary residence. Even if I could, it wouldn't do me much good without ammunition.

There is an exemption for persons attending a competition. We specifically provide a competition between shooters in order for this exemption to apply.

I can't answer for sure your question regarding possession and a temporary residence. A reasonable person might assume that a temporary residence such as a hotel room would be allowable, given that the statute does not specify that the state must be left with the rifle the same day as the event. Not all people are reasonable people. YMMV.

PLEASE note that while possession of the rifle itself would be allowable, possession of a "large capacity feeding device," regardless of preban/postban status is NOT LEGAL WITHOUT A MA RESIDENT OR NONRESIDENT CLASS A LTC.

dwarven1

Quote from: MetalgodZ on April 14, 2015, 03:34:50 PM
Quote from: Bolt Head on March 28, 2015, 08:33:07 PM

There is an exemption for persons attending a competition. We specifically provide a competition between shooters in order for this exemption to apply.

I can't answer for sure your question regarding possession and a temporary residence. A reasonable person might assume that a temporary residence such as a hotel room would be allowable, given that the statute does not specify that the state must be left with the rifle the same day as the event.

There ARE no reasonable people writing gun law in the MA state house. While the exemption is written in MA law, I am certain that you could NOT take advantage of it while living in MA temporarily.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON