News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento, CA March 14-15th, 2015

Started by PinBreaker, March 24, 2015, 02:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PinBreaker

What a great time we had and great weather to boot.  We had experienced shooters and new shooters and everything in between.  I learn something new every event as well.

On Saturday we worked through the instruction and the equipment issues and got everyone sighted in and sporting the proper sling by lunch.  The three strikes were presented and we talked about the role of the citizenry in our government.  After lunch, we covered IMC and headed off into the AQTs.  By the end of the day, there was a significant improvement from the morning's red coat targets, with several shooters advancing to the 300 meter effective range.

On Sunday, we had the shooters participate in the instruction.  For IMC we split into two groups, where known distance shooting techniques were discussed.  The AQT targets were showing real progress right away when Matt scored his Rifleman, followed by Ron, and then Jeff.  They each shot well above the 210 mark and took home their Rifleman patches.  Kevin was doing very well on Saturday, and may have made the score as well had he been able to make Sunday.  I hope to see them all back at another Appleseed to bring those scores up and it would be great to see them at a Hat Creek full distance event.  Fatimah was showing real improvement with her group sizes shrinking as the day progressed.  Ginseng and Apple are returning Appleseeders and both persevered through some equipment issues, and showed some nice improvement.  Ginseng was very excited to put some finely cut holes in the target using a .223.   :---

Towards the end of the day, we had a squib round from a batch of .22L Federal Target Match ammo.  The shooter didn't notice the problem and tried to insert the flag in the rifle.  The stuck round was preventing the flag from being inserted fully.  The bore was cleared with a length of cleaning rod.

Eaglescouter and Norcal22Gal once again setup a tent down at the range house looking to talk to folks about Appleseed.

Thanks to the instructors and the shooters for an enjoyable weekend!
:bow:

Ducky

We had a wonderful weekend, with a very dedicated group! My sincere apologies for not getting everyone's photo. We hope to see you all at the range again sometime soon! Bring your friends!!
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand

Rlew

Hi guys,

Had a great time.  Coming back in May and bringing 2 friends with me.

Been practicing my positions and NPOA.  Getting more comfortable.

Question:  Can any of you recommend an arm pad?  I'm getting some discomfort in my bicep area where the sling contacts the arm and also feeling my pulse.  Tried loosening but am getting some slippage.  Any recommendations on a pad or something similar?  Thanks.

Ron

Missy

My first thought would be to ask if you have the sling on correctly. When you have a loop sling set up  the webbing should be completely flat against your arm and the "gear" should be on the outside of your arm. If you reverse that you essentially have a tourniquet and it will be extremely uncomfortable. So first, make sure that you are wearing the sling correctly. If you are still having problems, you could just get a piece of flexible foam to put in there or maybe there are foam elbow pads or knee pads that you could slide onto your arm. IMO that's not an ideal situation, but maybe some of the other instructors have more thoughts on this.

viperrt1

Quote from: Rlew on March 26, 2015, 03:43:50 PM
Hi guys,

Question:  Can any of you recommend an arm pad?  I'm getting some discomfort in my bicep area where the sling contacts the arm and also feeling my pulse.  Tried loosening but am getting some slippage.  Any recommendations on a pad or something similar?  Thanks.

Ron
Without being there to see in person what the real issue truly is as Missy was pointing to.

If it is all correct and your arm hurts 2 options.
1 shooting jacket with pads IE most famous Creedmoor jackets but there not the only brand.

2. No offense or personal shot, literally toughen up your arm. Good shooting positions are not necessarily comfortable at first there learned comfort.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to communicate with 2.

But out side that go team great job..
Don't panic just aim.

Guntuckian

Quote from: Rlew on March 26, 2015, 03:43:50 PM
Hi guys,

Ron

Depending on which position you are using for prone, there is another possibility, too.  Are you shooting in prone with both legs extended?  This causes more tension on the bicep for some body types.  Even if you are drawing up your trigger side knee some, are you drawing up your trigger side knee enough?  If not, this can also cause excessive bicep discomfort.  I used to see 2 tight groups, spaced horizontally, due to heartbeat, when shooting in prone.  Being sure to have at least a long sleeve shirt on, and drawing up my trigger side knee a little more, the 2 groups converged into one group, and the bicep discomfort went away.  The spacing between groups due to heartbeats was about 1 MOA.

--gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Rlew

Thanks for the input.  Think I have the sling set up correctly. The real issue is, when I tighten the sling enough so that I can rest my entire weight on it and get a correct NPOA, my arm literally feels like there is no blood going to it.  Tourniquet is a good description.  If I loosen it, even slightly, then it feels like there is too much slack and I end up holding the rifle up with my arm, not ideal.

I have been using short sleeve shirts so will try a long sleeve shirt.  Then a pad.  Then a jacket.  Then the gym :).

Rlew

Oh, and shooting with the trigger leg up, but will try to get it higher.  Good thought.

viperrt1

Sounds like a plan. My arm and hand fall asleep in compatition from time to time. If they call hold on the line right at the end on 3 mins of prep. So 10 mins of being all slung up. But that a no pulse sling.
I didn't really have that issue with Web sling.
Don't panic just aim.

PinBreaker

RLew,

The way you had your sling on looked perfect.   You don't have a lot of natural padding, so what you are experiencing is probably going to be best solved by using a pad to isolate your pulse from the sling.  I have taped a 1/4" to 3/8" foam pad (like you get as hard drive packing foam) to the sling to good effect.  If the foam is flexible and thin, you can make a loop around the sling and tape it up with electrical tape or, more permanently, duct tape (makes a gooey mess when removed). 

We teach that the sling should be snug, not tight.  The reality is that tight produces good groups, but not if you're unable to continue firing due to pain or having to deal with the effects of seeing your pulse in the front sight.  I think you'll be happy with a bit of padding.  You can try this at home (unloaded of course!).  You'll see a substantial improvement in your scores if you practice dry firing between Appleseeds anyway.  Keep your focus on the front sight!   ~~:)

Excellent to hear you're 7th stepping!

Rlew

Thanks, I will try the pad on the sling and keep dry firing.    See you in May 😊

Rlew

Vinnie, thanks for the tip on those pads.  Does the trick!