News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek, OR March 21 & 22 2015 Known Distance

Started by Kimber Custom, March 18, 2015, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club will be hosting another Known Distance clinic this weekend. Saturday will be spent @25, 100 and 200 yards. Sunday we will shoot full distance AQT's.

Estimated round count is 200 on Saturday (in the rain) and 130 on Sunday (weather looks promising)

Matt Brown

I am so looking forward to this.

Got my ammo and reconfigured my rifle last night. New stock, new optics. Trigger tightened up. Going to be fun.
Beaverton, Oregon

TheSquirrelPatrol

Here are my pictures from Saturday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/squirrel_patrol/sets/72157649163928693/

A lot of people came out in spite of the threat of rain, and we were all rewarded with almost ideal weather, just enough cloud cover to keep us cool, but no rain other than one shower during setup.  I got a fair amount of photos, I recommend you all scan through to find yourself, and take the moment to analyze your form.  Lots of white knuckles on forestocks!

DSC_5494 by Squirrel Patrol, on Flickr

Kimber Custom

Why am I still awake  %)

It was a sight to behold (behear?), 28 center fires shooting KD. Today was spent on 25, 100 and 200. Tomorrow we will shoot 100-400+

World Champion Stan Pate came out to talk about getting to 'the next level'. Guess what he said? NPOA, Dry Practice, Cheek Weld, Sight Alignment, practice with a .22, get into the right mental state. Who knew  &)

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Earl

What a promise of rains not met, what a fine group of riflemen and women, what a fine day to be an American on a fine range... it couldn't have met my expectations better. Mostly I just stood around hollering, but my doctor said no exercise until I see him again on Tuesday, but I could be Line Boss and help with a couple of instruction points. Thanks for the early pictures and reports, I came home, safely, and then crashed until almost midnight. Now you can add my few pictures.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

It is after five and I am thinking about the shoot, wishing them all the best and knowing that it is clean up time and time to travel safely back home, good to be an American Rifleman and know very much what we are about.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Kimber Custom

Did 6 really hit the 8" gong at 250 with one cold bore shot? Is it even possible to have 8 KD rifleman out of 22 shooters? I guess so.

Red Alder Ranch

No new rifleman badges for me this weekend, but I had a great time, and got a lot of practice with the new rifle. I had never really shot an AR more than a few dozen rounds since I built this one this winter, and I had never tried shooting past 100 yards in any organized kind of way, and never at all with iron sights.

My scores today went from mediocre to more mediocre as I got tired, but I stuck it out for the practice and just getting more familiar with this rifle.

Takeaways:
-Ten round mags will probably not get in the way of my support arm as much as the 20s did.
-Foam on the top of the stock helped today, so I might need to think about another better fitting stock
-I noticed (a lot!) that as I was squeezing the trigger, it was taking so much time to take up the slack that I would often need to stop, and take a new breath and a new respiratory pause, since when I tried to hold it for that long, I would get a little wobbly. Maybe a new trigger is in order, or maybe just faster squeezing.
-I still have no idea why everything drifted so much to the left this afternoon, but since it happened to so many of us, I have to assume it was probably the wind, even though it didn't seem that windy. it was most noticeable at 3 and 400 yards.
-I need to get more organized about the data logging. It took me most of the weekend to really start to get a feel for what information was helpful, how to sort it out of the information that was not helpful, and then how to keep track of it in a way that made sense to me. I finally started getting the hang of it this afternoon, but by then I was tired and wet, and not shooting that great anyway. I printed out a few pages of the PDFs that Ben sent out, but not enough of them, and then they got wet. A regular log book and a way to keep it dry would help.
-I need to read up on the AR military sights a little more. I still have no idea what the numbers on the elevation wheel correspond to.
-The standard iron sight front post is really, really wide, when compared to the AQT target at 400 yards! I think that the tech sights on my 10-22 have a narrower front post.
-I think I like the 1907 style sling better than the web sling. I wish had brought my 1907...

Thanks to all, especially the instructors and RSOs and the range for hosting us.

hawkhavn

Looks like a great bunch of Americans on a beautiful range!

8 out of 22 KD Riflemen, someone was teaching well and someone else was listening well!

Green grass!!!

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Kimber Custom

Quote from: Red Alder Ranch on March 23, 2015, 12:09:14 AM

-I still have no idea why everything drifted so much to the left this afternoon, but since it happened to so many of us, I have to assume it was probably the wind, even though it didn't seem that windy. it was most noticeable at 3 and 400 yards.
-The standard iron sight front post is really, really wide, when compared to the AQT target at 400 yards! I think that the tech sights on my 10-22 have a narrower front post.
-I think I like the 1907 style sling better than the web sling. I wish had brought my 1907...

Thanks to all, especially the instructors and RSOs and the range for hosting us.

I suspect light conditions played into the mass left grouping. I wish I had thought about it at the time to point it out to you guys.

You can get different sized front sight posts. Competitive shooters tend to like a really wide front sight.

1907's require some experience to really run well, but once you master it (I haven't I might add) it is the preferred sling of competitive shooters.

Thank for hanging in there to the end. I'm exhausted and all I did was stand around all day.  :)

Flipper

I was shooter for this event and it was my 1st KD but I had a good time :D it rained today but hey its the Pacific Northwest when don't we get rained on. Good job everyone who came out and stuck around the whole time  O0 and now I'm looking forward to the next event in April :D

Flipper

These first 7 scored their KD Rifleman Patch  O0

And here is the 8th KD Rifleman :D

Our 8inch gong at 250yds got nailed 6 time :D and Rizzen broke the chain holding the gong in place

AmbulanceDriver

You know the thing that makes this rifleman smile (even though I couldn't make it to this shoot....) seeing all these pictures of iron sights out at KD.... I love the reaction people have when I tell them that we can teach people to repeatedly and regularly hit targets 400 yards away with irons and they just seem to think that it's somehow "impossible".   

janer

Thank you Kimber and all the rest of the instructors.  I had a great time and learned a lot about my equipment, and an idea of what I need to work on for KD.

I really enjoyed Stan Pate's talk at lunch.  When we say we are teaching "the fundamentals", it's true, and I thought his talk really backed  that up.  Some of it was way above my level, but my take-away was his emphasis of the mental aspect.  I really appreciated that.

I'm moving a little slow today, but by next weekend I'll be ready to help instruct at the Appleseed in Ariel, WA.  There is plenty of room on the line for more shooters.  Hope to see some of you there.

And thanks Prescott, for finding my scope lens cover,  my grandson found the other in the back of my car.

modeler

It was a great weekend! I learned a lot about my rifle (M1 Garand) and have greatly increased confidence in my abilities with it. My shoulder was pretty sore by the end of Saturday, Sunday was much easier with a slip-on rubber buttpad from Pachmayr. My score peaked at 177 on Saturday and fell off considerably on the last AQT. I was really hoping to do better, but such is life.

Thanks to everyone who came out to attend and instruct! I hope to see you all at next Spring's KD shoot!

Prescott

I guess we need to cancel all of our 25M events and just run KD events!   What a spectacular turn out for the 2nd annual DRRC KD weekend.   It was inspiring to see 28 shooters come out to improve their KD rifleman skills.   We saw great improvement in the shooters over the weekend as they got comfortable with their center fire rifles and aquired the DOPE on their rifles.  Once they had their data, they were able to concentrate on their marksmanship fundamentals and their scores started to climb.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Rizzin

Looks like a lot of people got a lot of good pictures, I have a couple more to add

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.690347917761537.1073741845.100003590059372&type=1&l=22531971d7 

if you would like to tag yourself feel free

byramm

Here are a few more pics on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1399063157077067&id=100009201883147

Many thanks to the instructors, I learned a lot this weekend and had a lot of fun! Regarding shots going left at 300 and 400, I had a similar issue.

I think it is variation in cheek weld and sight alignment differing from prone. In my case, with the windage dialed in at 400 yards, I needed about a 4 MOA adjustment left at 100 standing and 200 sitting. Hope it helps, and I hope to run into you all at the next shoot, you are a great group of people!

Matt Brown

Had a great time. Thanks KenJo, Ben, Prescott and Earl.

No repeat on the rifleman badge this time, but did get the Daniel Morgan patch the first shot of the first day. Woo hoo...

Thanks to each of you for the help. Very nice to meet people.

Beaverton, Oregon